IGNORED

Rear brake ABS problem.

Oloff_Kilter

Greetings everyone.

New guy here. Great site with lot's of good information. I have a 2000 R1100RT and the rear brake will freewheel when I try to lock it up. When I hit the brake it will start to skid the wheel for just a second and then freewheels with no brake at all. The position of the ABS switch doesn't seem to matter. Battery is charged. Front brake works fine.

This bike is a little more technical than my old '83 boxer and I don't have a manual yet. Any suggestions? confused.gif

Oloff.

ShovelStrokeEd

When was the last time the brake system was flushed. Sounds to me like the rear pump is not working properly. It should cause the wheel to pulse back and forth from locked to rolling about 5X per second. You might want to look around for some loose components as well. Pay particular attention to the wheel speed sensor and the caliper mounting. A fault in the wheel speed sensor should generate a flashing ABS light but maybe yours is OK until the brakes are applied. A stuck piston in the caliper or asymetric pad wear might be the culprits as well, causing the system to flex enough to lose the wheel speed signal and keep the brake released.

Best to take this to a dealer and have them run a diagnostic on the ABS computer to see if any fault codes are stored in there. A good inspection and a clean/flush of the brake system is certainly in order.

FYI - the 'ABS switch' only turns the ABS lights off if they are flashing after a fault (so you don't get blinded at night by that annoying light). They do nothing whatsoever to the actual ABS circuitry. Only the GS has a true ABS switch.

Greetings everyone.

New guy here. Great site with lot's of good information. I have a 2000 R1100RT and the rear brake will freewheel when I try to lock it up. When I hit the brake it will start to skid the wheel for just a second and then freewheels with no brake at all. The position of the ABS switch doesn't seem to matter. Battery is charged. Front brake works fine.

This bike is a little more technical than my old '83 boxer and I don't have a manual yet. Any suggestions? confused.gif

Oloff.

Oloff,

Do you have alternately flashing ABS warning lamps lit on the dash? If not, I'd guess you just aren't familiar with ABS brakes. If you get going about 15MPH and then TRY to lock the rear brake, does it jerk to a stop? If so, that's normal.

Mick

Thanks for the replys.

Yes, the ABS lights do flash. When I try to skid the rear wheel, even at 15 mph, the wheel will start to skid and let out a slight chirp and then completly freewheel. Just as though I let up on the brake pedal. It does not pulsate like an ABS system should.

The brake works fine as long as you dont try to skid the wheel. Normal riding would be ok but, in a panic situation there would be no rear brake. Sounds like I may need to have the codes run by a dealer. In the mean time I will try to adjust the sensor. Is there any way to shut the ABS system off completly?

Thanks again for your help.

You could disconnect the ABS unit at the internal relay (right side of the ABS unit under the fuel tank) and pull the warning relay in the fuse box. That should prevent it from cycling.

Best thing would be to read out the fault codes and see if it's something you can fix before you replace the whole unit.

Page 72 of this document may help you diagnose your problem:

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/R11Manual/Oilhead_Maintenance_2-25-02.pdf

Mick

Archived