IGNORED

Windscreen not working

shipmate

Hi all

I have searched through with no info found so thought I would ask if anyone has had problems with windscreen on the 1200rt 2010 model .

Mine stopped moving yesterday in the down position . Any information were to start and how to access the motor would be gratefully appreciated

Regards

Morning shipmate

Really no way to know what it is without digging in & troubleshooting the electrical.

About the only problems I have seen on the late 1200RT windshields are broken links (but they still try to work if a broken link), or a bad handlebar switch (mostly due to water entry).

The windshield is computer (ZFE) controlled so about all you can do is check for proper handlebar switch inputs to the ZFE & verify the windshield motor is plugged in & receiving proper power with switching.

BitScribbler

I can almost guarantee it's a faulty switch. They're failing in epic numbers on many different models, not just RTs. I had 2 new LH and 1 RH on my 2011 K1600GT. They've been redesigned and are now produced by a different supplier. You can tell the new LH switchgear by the fact that the horn button protrudes out more.

Hi

Thanks for info . Riding the bike today and the screen moved but not every time . Think I will contact dealer tomorrow (Rotherham) for price for a new switch

BitScribbler

Trust me, Rsinbow will know about faulty switches...

Push them for a goodwill repair. It's a well-known issue.

DaveTheAffable

+1

Switches are big problem. 2010 RT here.... Good news is they've made changes.

Well... So Ive heard. 2 year warranty on the entire cluster once changed... But they're not cheap.

Hi

I have spoken to dealer . After declaring my disgust at £370 for L/H switch for a known problem they quickly agreed to look at the switch and if it is the cause of the fault they will replace free of charge and also replace the R/H switch at the same time . Apparently my bikes serial number fits within a batch that is a known problem .Just hope it proves to be the switch now . Dealer also will supply me with a bike while mine is in their hands .

so far impressed by their response as I did not buy from them and the bike is 4 years old with no warrenty .

Lets see if I'm as happy after they have looked at it on 18th June

Intermittent operation likely means it's the switch :( I had one instance of my windshield parking itself in the low position and then not working. I took it to the local dealer, they ran the windshield test routine, and it has worked ever since. Since then this test has been added to the GS911 :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

The dealers at Rainbow Rotherham were great . Switch proved to be faulty therefore both switch clusters were replaced free of charge . Happy biker again . It would seem that because my bike was manufactured between certain dates BMW recognise that these switches are possible faulty . It's not a recall but as a goodwill gesture they will replace . Hope this helps anybody having similar problems with any of the switch functions .

Paul In Australia

Do you happen to know the dates of manufacture of the possibly faulty switches, or when the revised switches were introduced?

Hi Paul

Sorry no further info except to say mine is an early 2010 model when they changed the indicator control to the left hand only . They required VIN number to check

Regards

• 1 month later...

My switch went bad after the 1st year. (I have a R120RT 2012) Warranty covered it, thank goodness...it was well over $300! It went out slowly over about 500 miles...worked spotty up, then spotty down...then one day It went up and never came down. I went to the dealer got a new one. The new unit (using the turn signals) feels a little odd as compared to the original.

My 2012's (purchased used) cruise will not turn on every now and then. Seems to not work after sitting in the sun at work all day, but is sporadic. I assume it is the switch gear about to die...

My 2012's (purchased used) cruise will not turn on every now and then. Seems to not work after sitting in the sun at work all day, but is sporadic. I assume it is the switch gear about to die...

Evening Jonathan

Probably so as that one of the signs of a dying switch pod.

Evening Jonathan

Probably so as that one of the signs of a dying switch pod.

Thanks, DR. Looks like a service call is order...

Archived