IGNORED

R1200R 2013 Exhaust

Mik

Hi guys,

I want to buy a new slip-on exhaust for my bike to improve the sound of the boxer engine and want to know which one you think I should buy for that mather, the latest Akrapovic model or the Remus Hexacone :dopeslap:

Mike

• 2 months later...

Morning Mike

Aftermarket exhaust on the BMW boxers is kind of in the ear of rider.

If you want louder then about any of the aftermarkets will work.

If you want louder & more pleasing sounding then (to me) none of the aftermarkets will work. The BMW 360° boxer motor is not a good candidate to get pleasing exhaust notes out of (they just don't have the sweet cadence of a Harley or Ducati)

If you still want a louder system just keep in mind that most of the cheaper systems will need muffler re-packing often or they get really raspy sounding & loud.

Most will also drone at hiway speeds.

If you just want a little more mid range throaty sound then wire your exhaust tuning valve open, or remove it.

This is my 12r with Extreme Stainless Steel (UK made) end can on. I like the sound.

It was tuned by the previous owner by fiting a new bafle and cutting it down until he got the sound he wanted.

\v/

soggybottom

Before you buy anything try removing the muffler and start it up, you will find that the catalytic converter acts as a muffler. On my 04 R1150R I removed the muff to be able to use the larger left bag off an RT, I stuck an automotive chrome tail pipe turn down tip out of the cat. I hate load pipes but this made it just a tad deeper tone. I am assuming the 13 has a cat before the muff?

If you want louder & more pleasing sounding then (to me) none of the aftermarkets will work. The BMW 360° boxer motor is not a good candidate to get pleasing exhaust notes out of (they just don't have the sweet cadence of a Harley or Ducati)...

I agree. I'm thinking that hardly anybody buys a boxer mainly for its exhaust sound, except that the OEM can makes for a fairly quiet bike. I've heard live examples of most makes of aftermarkets and to me while they color the timbre to make it sound somewhat blattier, they can't improve the fundamentally boring flat-drone sound pulses that the boxer motor makes. BUT Remus and others are popular so to each his own ride!

I recently purchased a "used" 2013 1200rt with 1100 miles on her. Previous owner added Remus setup with full headers. It sounds OK. I am more interested in performance than sound. It sounds a bit dirt-tracky at high rev, but not nearly as annoying as the Two Brothers slip on I had on my 1150RT! It will never sound like a Duc. . .but I am very pleased with both the look of the titanium headers and the carbon fiber slip on. They look awesome on my 90th Anniversary Ed! And it runs! At about 6,000 RPM the bike wants to peel me off!

I've thought going the aftermarket route myself (mostly considered Akropovic), but between the fact that there's pretty much zero additional power to be gained and the dollar-per-grin factor not being quite substantial enough (IMHO) to merit another swan dive off the 12-Step Program for Problem Upgraders wagon, I've opted to take a pass. Perhaps a more important consideration than the potentially improved soundtrack was recently raised by the service manager at Morton's (well-regarded dealer in Fredericksburg, VA), who observed that the weight of the stock can nicely (and not coincidentally) counterbalances the weight of the shaft drive. Substantially lightening up one side of the bike could potentially affect handling, esp. (but perhaps not exclusively) at high speeds. When I really need to test the effectiveness of my -30 dB earplugs, I crank up the 'ol 848 (which has fully de-cored c.f. Termi's + the performance airbox/BMC filter and race ECU) and head for the hills. This I did for a few hours yesterday, and found that life on the Barking Pumpkin remains ~*~*~*most refreshing~*~*~*~

With all that in mind, I think I'm going to save up for a suspension upgrade of some kind, perhaps try to get it done over the winter. I never was really comfortable on that bone-stock, ascetic wagon anyway.

This is my 12r with Extreme Stainless Steel (UK made) end can on. I like the sound.

It was tuned by the previous owner by fiting a new bafle and cutting it down until he got the sound he wanted.

\v/

Did anyone try the link above.

I like the burble, but maybe after 130,000 miles of listening (or trying to) to the standard exhaust on the previous BMWs I had, anything sounds better to me.

\v/

I'd like to see a smaller exhaust can on my R1200R. Also leaning to the Akrapovic, but the Remus with the black end is tempting with the darker 90th model. Dirtrider makes a good point. My flapper and servo are out, and the sound improvement is fine.But as I said, more of a "looks" thing for me.

Archived