IGNORED

Hyper-lites

TinCup

I have a 2012 R1200RT. The only power accessory that I am add now are Hyper-lites. The instructions are great except for one thing. They basically say go find a 'switch 12v wire' to tap in to.

For those who have installed Hyper-lites (16 LEDs), the gray wire is the one that connects to the wire if i can find it.

To test the lights I clipped it directly to the battery. I was surprised that the light only came on when turned the switch on and seemed to work as they should. Has anyone connect that wire directly to the battery instead of splicing into a switched hot wire.

DaveTheAffable

If you go directly to battery they will be on all the time.

I connected mine to the power going to rear accessory outlet, and then brake light for trigger. I find the rear light stays on for about 20 seconds after I key off while it uses up residual voltage in circuit.

I REALLY like them.

John in VA
I connected mine to the power going to rear accessory outlet, and then brake light for trigger. I find the rear light stays on for about 20 seconds after I key off while it uses up residual voltage in circuit...

Ditto here on wiring, with added config for the split-array amber turn signals. I wait for the running lights to go out before plugging in my Optimate4 charger.

To test the lights I clipped it directly to the battery. I was surprised that the light only came on when turned the switch on and seemed to work as they should. Has anyone connect that wire directly to the battery instead of splicing into a switched hot wire.

My experience was the same as yours, with one possible exception. Even though the gray wire is connected directly to the battery positive terminal, the Hyperlites go on and off with the ignition. The exception is that when the ignition is on, the Hyperlites act as if they are the dual function variety where the lights are on and dimmed when the ignition switch is turned on and then go to fully brilliance when the brake is activated.

Thinking I bought the dual function lights by mistake, I called Hyperlites. We figured out that the CAN-bus must interrupt the ground thus preventing the lites from staying on all the time as suggested by others. Now, why the regular Hyperlites act as if it was the dual function style is beyond me and Hyperlite technical assistance.

They do go off when you switch the bike off. I like the fact that they stay on all the time when the bike is on (i didn't buy the set with the running light option.)

I am waiting to hear from Hyper-Lite but unless they give me a good reason not to, I am going to leave them direct connected to the battery.

I have ordered a fuse box to make future options easier to add on.

If I hear anything from Hyper-lite I will pass it on.

BTW: Where is the rear accessory outlet on a 2012 RT?

On my 2011, it is located at the left rear by the rear rack. You may not have the outlet, there should be a black plug covering the hole. The wire connection is under the seat near the hole in the plastic.

Archived