IGNORED

Anyone installed Stebel horn on their 2014?

Mr Breeze

Curious if anyone has done a horn swap on the 2014. Room? any issues with install? I'm thinking about a Stebel Nautilus compact.

I put dual Steibels on my K1300GT because they had to be mounted on the side of the bike with the sound "horn" facing out to the side instead of towards the front of the bike and traffic ahead. If I only had one horn on one side of the bike any traffic probelems opposite that one horn would not hear it at higway speed.

I live and ride in New York City with a high level of ambient noise. In thinking about the 2014 wet RT I was wondering if it had room under the plastic for dual air horns facing forward. I had dual air horns on my R1150RT and they would "freeze" traffic in place when I hit the horn button. They also had real attention grabbig impact in traffic and at speed.

Since you are looking into after market horns I would be interested in learning if the wet RT can accommodate a set of short length, dual air horns facing forward on the bike.

i agree on the 1150 horns. I plan on replacing my 2014 with a set from a 1150 when I find them...I've seen a few on ebay but they look like they have been through a hurricane..

The April issue of Motorcycle Consumer News gave their best buy rating to the FIAMM Twin Tone horn set ($24, 129.5 dB); loudest was Hella Supertone Dual Horn Set ($62, 131.59 dB) Keep in mind that the decibel scale is logarithmic, so the Hellas are actually a lot louder than the FIAMM horns. But... the Hellas are also on the large side, which could present mounting issues.

I think you will find them all to be a mounting problem, but I am going to keep on watching here to see if anyone stuffs a worthwhile horn on the '14.

• 2 weeks later...
I think you will find them all to be a mounting problem, but I am going to keep on watching here to see if anyone stuffs a worthwhile horn on the '14.

I tried to transfer the Steibl horn from my K1600 to my 2014 RT. It was a tricky tight fit on the K bike, but impossible to find room for it anywhere on the RT. I'm going to try the Fiamms.

Weston

It's all about the mount http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1200-RT-LC/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Nautilus-Wolo-Horn.html this looks like it should work fine, I also like the plug n play wire harnes. The price for this is nuts, I haven't seen it (wiring harnes) offered in the USA.

Jay

Thanks for posting Jay.

Pricey, but IMHO it's worth it for the volume and the plug n play mount/wiring. Now just have to wait for someone to sell in the US or create their own kit.

• 1 month later...
It's all about the mount http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-R-1200-RT-LC/Alu-High-grade-Steel/Nautilus-Wolo-Horn.html this looks like it should work fine, I also like the plug n play wire harnes. The price for this is nuts, I haven't seen it (wiring harnes) offered in the USA.

Jay

Thanks for posting Jay.

Pricey, but IMHO it's worth it for the volume and the plug n play mount/wiring. Now just have to wait for someone to sell in the US or create their own kit.

Sierra BMW Motorcycles has the Horning kit. I believe it's $70. I got one, along with the horn, but I think the wiring diagram is missing.

Jay

Thanks for posting Jay.

Sierra BMW Motorcycles has the Horning kit. I believe it's $70. I got one, along with the horn, but I think the wiring diagram is missing.

Is the wiring harnes plug and play? This was my concern when looking at this one on the web

Jay

The price Sierra is asking is $120 ($116.99 + $3.00 for RT), That's a lot of money for a horn. I have a Stebel on my Wee Strom and think it's great, and the 14RT does need an upgrade but that's a hell of price to pay. http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php/hornig-stebel-nautilus-horn-kit-bmw-r1150gs-stebel-11690120-p-2824

TLC please let us know what you think after the installation.

Jay

I replaced the horn. Got the horn from Twisted Throttle and the wiring harness and mount from Hornig. Seamless install. New horn mount is the same area as the old one. Plug and play wiring.

I replaced the horn. Got the horn from Twisted Throttle and the wiring harness and mount from Hornig. Seamless install. New horn mount is the same area as the old one. Plug and play wiring.

Can you describe the wiring? I got a sheet with some photos of the installation, but no details on wiring to the relay.

I don't remember the exact wiring. I did a google search on wiring relays and figured it out. From what I remember you have a hot from the battery, a hot to the horn and two leads from the supplied harness which plugs into where the old horn was connected. Numbers on the relay correspond to the correct wire. Search it.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't remember the exact wiring. I did a google search on wiring relays and figured it out. From what I remember you have a hot from the battery, a hot to the horn and two leads from the supplied harness which plugs into where the old horn was connected. Numbers on the relay correspond to the correct wire. Search it.

I found two wiring diagrams -- one for a bike with a hot lead to the horn button, and one for a bike with a ground lead to the horn button. Which does the 2014 RTW have?

The hot lead goes to the lowest # another to the horn. The harness has a plug that plugs into the exsiting harness. Those wires get into the canbus and the horn button. I will check if I can see the corresponding numbers. I will not take off all the plastic. What I found on the internet was very straight forward wiring.The ground goes from the horn to the old mounting bolt for the factory horn.

The hot lead goes to the lowest # another to the horn. The harness has a plug that plugs into the exsiting harness. Those wires get into the canbus and the horn button. I will check if I can see the corresponding numbers. I will not take off all the plastic. What I found on the internet was very straight forward wiring.The ground goes from the horn to the old mounting bolt for the factory horn.

Thanks for your advice! I believe I got the wiring sorted out. I planned to install the horn this afternoon, but I was not able to loosen the bolt to which it will be mounted (which I believe is a T40). I thought I would be able to do it with removing only the right side panel, but I don't think that will be enough. How much plastic did you have to remove for your installation?

Thanks for your advice! I believe I got the wiring sorted out. I planned to install the horn this afternoon, but I was not able to loosen the bolt to which it will be mounted (which I believe is a T40). I thought I would be able to do it with removing only the right side panel, but I don't think that will be enough. How much plastic did you have to remove for your installation?

Quite a bit. I also installed Erica's at the same time.

Archived