IGNORED

suspension sag

BlueOpal99

greetings all, i was wondering what the rear suspension sag setting should be? i enjoy the way the RT handles,but going into turns and bumps mid-turn can be unsettling.

i've been gradually adjusting the preload,but would to get the setting more precise.

thanks

Robin

Hopefully someone will respond with a link for the full monty;

But, you have a static sag that should equal 3/8" to 3/4" for the rear.

And, you want to achieve a 'ride height'of approx 1" to 1-5/8" depending on your riding style.

Also....How many miles on your shocks?????More than 30K and you're most likely due for a change, which seems to be what your symptoms indicate.

Hi Robin,

Since your RT has some time on it you may want to consider an after market shock. The RT's and most of the BMW line weekest component is the lack of good suspension. However, you can still get a stock RT to handle "OK" when properly set up. I have written an installation guide for insatalling shocks as well as a set up guide to get the ride height and sag set correctly. If your interested PM me and I will send it to you.

Basically you want the ride height figures to be between> rear: 1.oo-1.625 and front: 1.375-2.00

And static sag> rear:.375-.750 and rear: .625-1.875

Unfortunately you don't have any adjustments for the front OEM shock. BUt if you work on getting the rear set up, it should help the "wollow" your experiencing in the rear. I've set up alot of stock rear shocks this way and people where surprised at the difference.

I haven't been shy on this board about my feelings with the extremely inferior suspension installed on such a fine motorcycle (especially at the price) and I'll stand my ground on that. The stock suspension is not up to withstanding spirited riding or the loads induced while carrying payload.

Mikey, a fellow who owns an RT and a VFR is my kind of guy.

plus works with tools...too bad your a bazillion miles away on the left coast

robin

I'm baaaaack....

Was up at the mountain house for a few days hang'n out with the squirrels, my dogs, and shread'n some forest trails.

Still working on getting the shop up there set up for wrenching, but it's coming together. thumbsup.gif

I will get to your many PM's now. grin.gif

Archived