IGNORED

So much for the luck of the Irish!

Hornblower

Hi, I'm a new member and needed to know are all K bikes as bad as mine or am I just unlucky! In short, k1200rs, 6 years old, 20000 miles. In the last six months, head cylinder gasket followed by clutch slave cylinder (engine out again) and now fuel pump. This is costing me a fortune. I have to fix it or it's worth nothing. I don't drive fast (cruise at 80mph) and mostly use it for commuting. Problem is I still love it. Am I alone?

Hi, I'm a new member and needed to know are all K bikes as bad as mine or am I just unlucky! In short, k1200rs, 6 years old, 20000 miles. In the last six months, head cylinder gasket followed by clutch slave cylinder (engine out again) and now fuel pump. This is costing me a fortune. I have to fix it or it's worth nothing. I don't drive fast (cruise at 80mph) and mostly use it for commuting. Problem is I still love it. Am I alone?

These K-bikes are generally as reliable as houses. Sorry about the problems.

Note that genuine Bosch fuel pumps are available from aftermarket suppliers for a hell of a lot less than BMW charges (generally less than $200). I can dig up the mail order company for you if you are interested.

Also be sure the problem is really your fuel pump. The pump on my '86 K100 started making a lot of noise, and I was realy to buy a new one, until I did a bit of troubleshooting. The problem was a plugged fuel filter! The poor pump had an output pressure of 100psi just to get the fuel past the filter!

Bob.

Thanks Bob. I'm told that maybe one of the blades inside the pump has sheared and jammed it. I'm afraid I'm not one that can check it for myself. I used to be but I grew out of it, unfortunately. So I have to accept the mechanics word. And despite all of the recent problems, I still trust him

The K has a well deserved reputation for reliability and it was one of the reasons I purchased one 18 months ago. My KGT, however has been fraught with several, major mechanical issues, beyond the one I inflicted on the poor machine. They've all been fixed under warranty, but my confidence is gone in this particular bike.

It is going to cost me dearly, but I will sell her for what I can get this spring and start over with a new bike; possibly the same brand and model.

So my confidence in the brand is still relatively high, but my confidence in the current bike is off the charts-- low.

I'm half Irish. I wonder if there is a correlation? tongue.gif

My mechanic swears by the reliability of the model and says that I'm just unlucky. Have to say though, before the fuel pump problem, the bike has always started first time, every time and my first 14500 miles were totally trouble free - but expensive to get serviced. Are there any other failures that I can expect in the furure? Fore warned is fore armed!

Thanks Bob. I'm told that maybe one of the blades inside the pump has sheared and jammed it.

There ARE no blades! Your mechanic is not clear on the basic pump operation principles!

These are "roller cell" pumps. There are a number of quite robust steel rollers that are spun by the motor. No way these can be broken. It is possible that something has jammed them, I suppose, but there is no way they can break.

Have a look at this link if you are interested to see how a roller cell pump works...

http://rb-k.bosch.de/resources/literatur/leseproben/u212e.pdf

The desciption is on page 3 of the PDF.

Bob.

Since my mechanic told me that a blade may have broken off (and there are no blades) and since he has worked on all of the recent problems, maybe I need to ditch the mechanic and not the bike! This sharing of info on a discussion board such as this is SO helpful to people like me who have no initial choice but to trust the guy that services the bike. Next step, look for a new dealer. (The mechanic, a trained BMW expert now works for a non BMW dealer service centre -I was ripped of by the BMW dealer that initially sold me the bike, but that's another story!). Thank you all for your input. I'll let you know the outcome. confused.gif

Looks as if I was totally wrong in my assessment of the recent problem with my RS. The fuel pump is fine and the problem has turned out to be the Spyball Alarm fitted from new so I can't blame BMW for that! I'll be back on the road in a couple of days and I can't wait. Also, faith in my mechanic fully restored! Happy days. clap.gif

You may find it interesting to read the mica peak registry and see what problems do crop up for this bike.

http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes

You may find it interesting to read the mica peak registry and see what problems do crop up for this bike.

uH...oNLY one posting had to do with the newer 1200 motor....all of them were talking about the K1100RS, not the K1200RS. We all know how many problems the older KRS had.

My $.02 worth

uH...oNLY one posting had to do with the newer 1200 motor....all of them were talking about the K1100RS, not the K1200RS. We all know how many problems the older KRS had.

My $.02 worth

Thank you for the sanity of proper assignment, Brother Bone.

Best wishes.

My $.02 worth

There are 609 entries on the K1200RS. Perhaps you did not see the link to K1200RS. Have another look. The K1200RS entry is the fourth line below K1100RS.

Archived