IGNORED

HID's...MotoLights......no low beam

USAF1

Both Sea Marshal and I have installed HID's (he only did the low beam) and MotoLights. He had to leave his bike overnight where he works, and when fixing to leave last evening, he didn't have any Low Beam so he used the Hi Beam to get home....and just before getting there, the Low Beam came on. In the past he'd noticed that when he turned the key ON...the low beam would come on...then go off (before hitting the starter switch)...then come back on after the motor was running.

Me....the low beam would come at times, and then other times it wouldn't come on at all...with the MotoLights ON....but after charging....it'd work fine. Other times I'd unplug the MotoLights, and the LowBeam would be fine. The scenarios are different at any given time. I left the bike on the charger all night last night, and ran the LB and the ML to work this morning.....no problems.

The relay for the MotoLights is off the wire for the parking light side of the turn signal. Don't remember where I ran the relays for the HID. All other hot leads are directly off the battery.

Next, will be to hook up a Multi-meter (while riding) and see where and how much the charge is and at what rpm's. Any other suggestions?

Pat

Isn't there a load shed relay that turns the lights off when you hit the starter, allowing more battery reserve for starting? That would explain one symptom.

Sounds like you need to investigate the overall wiring of you HID and your motolites. One shouldn't affect the other.

There is the possibility that there is a problem with the HID ballast or igniter that is causing the intermittent problem.

pAT -- I did the same HID & Motolight connect...love it love it --!

Never a problem thru 2 years of having it.

Don't ever use the high beam..no need too.

Don't know about your event with it cutting out -- mine was put in by the motolight vendor at Paonia, CO TOR rally in 2004.

All the Best

Problem turned out to be the HID relay - it was bad (probably had gotten wet from all of the rain lately in Seattle). Works great now.

Archived