IGNORED

Gas Tank Cover Screws @$#%@$%$%&$#

Matts_12GS

Hey everyone,

I manged to totally hose up one of the screw inserts into the plastic of the RT tank. I tried to search and couldn't find any info on them. Can someone hook a brother up?

Matt

ShovelStrokeEd

Try a tap. Take the screw with you. They are probably 4 x .7 or 4 x .5. I think 8-32 might work as well.

If the insert is spinning in the housing you are basically screwed. There are ways to remove these things and you might try a left hand drill bit. Replace with a thing called a Pimm (sp) nut.

If re-taping it doesn't work or it is rotating in the plastic, and if you're just concerned about the cosmetics aspect of the screw being there (and with the other two OK that's probably the only real issue), remove the now messed up brass insert completely. Then on the fairing piece fasten a shortened screw in place with a nut on the backside of it. No one will ever know but you. Just remember which one it is at the next disassembly!

Been there....done that!! It worked good! thumbsup.gif

Matts_RT

Unless you use a squared off tap, the tapered ones will be bottoming out by the time any threads start catching hold. Not to mention the chance of any drill bits catching, and going al the way thu the tank. Best O'Luck to ya!

Pat

HI MATT

I did exactly the same thing on mine , i got an old fixing

cut off the thread and superglued it onto the tank looks origional and only i know it,s false. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

stay upright

derek

Archived