IGNORED

KGT1200 Heating Up

kinchy

It was 60 yesterday and cool. Is it normal for these bikes to heat up quickly even in moderate traffic? The needle never broke into the "Red Zone" but would get close as I slowed and dealt with light stop and go. Must get real exciting in July and August.

Johnny Jetson

I've had mine for 9 months and never had a near-heat (much less overheat) problem, even in the Phx summer. It doesn't take long for the fan to come on in stop&go traffic, but I've never seen it above about 2/3 on the gauge.

If the bike is new to you, then you'll learn that these birds run on the upper end of the temp gauge. Nature of the beast.

Always below the red, about 2/3 or so is about right.

Two things you can do is when you wash it, flush the radiators of bugs and debris. I'm told Simple Green dissolves insects. Spray, let soak, rinse. Try and spray from back to front.

Also, the K bikes have been thru several radiator cap supersessions over the years. It would be cheap insurance to replace the cap every couple years or 24k miles when the body work is off.

Do the recommended maintenance as the oil pump/water pump can be an expensive repair if the coolant flushes were ignored by the previous owner.

These bikes will outlive most of the owners if cared for.

I had a customer with one with 260k miles when he was involved in an accident not his fault. The bike had to be put down.

Yes.

Would not worry too much.

I think the thermostat goes back to the 1100 and the gauage is redesign so it can get up there.

As long as fans are working, shouldn't be an issue.

I've been in way above 90's for a long time waiting to get through the single toll booth open on a holiday run and gave the fans a workout.

Frequently ride in 95+ amd when you move it will drop.

I think BMW has revised the coolant replacement schedule and extended it.

Check w/local to be sure..

Enjoy the brick, it is a classic in looks and performance.

• 1 month later...

And you left out it may well have the best engine BMW ever built- also in the K-RS of the same era.

That brick K-GT is an under-recognized excellent bike. I notice than none of our local owners ever sell theirs for something newer.

Guest Kakugo

Wedge K bikes are well known for crud build up among radiator fins.

The design is not particularly enlightened, it allows dirt to "pack up" and as a added "bonus" it's also hard to clean properly.

You may want to remove the fairing and give the radiator a through clean. If you have an A/C repair shop nearby you can get a can of radiator fin cleaner (or whatever it's called): 100% safe to use and will save you a lot of scrubbing.

K,

His K, based on sig line, is a brick, not a wedge.

:wave:

I thought the only Flying Brick 1200 were the LT...

'98 started the first K 1200 RS model year.

Redesign '02, GT 03/04/05.

LT continued production beyond the end of RS/GT line.

:wave:

Archived