IGNORED

Riding two up on long distances

Pier

Hello everyone,

Sorry for being so annoying and keep asking too may question, but now being Winter time I don't have many chances to test ride my new '04 RT so I'm taking advantage of your helpful inputs to learn more about my new bike.

To those of you who ride long distances two-up I would like to ask how confortable the RT is, in relation to other tourers that you may have owned, for a passenger, when riding daily distances of 400 miles or more. Also, do you find the trunkrest to be solid safe for the passenger to lean back on it?

Last Sunday I took my wife for a short ride for the first time on the RT. She said the bike felt okay, but I thought it was too short of a trip for a fair evaluation of a passenger comfortability.

I weight 190 pounds and my wife 140. Based on your experience would you have any recommendation for us if we were to consider a three weeks - 6K miles trip on the RT.

As always I appreciate very much any comment and suggestion you may have.

Thank you,

Pier

Hi Pier.

My wife and I often do long trips on our '02 RT. Longest days are 600-700 miles, typical are 300-450 miles. Obviously people's experiences vary, but the RT suits us just fine. Some thoughts:

1. As you suspect, you will need a back box or similar to provide support for the pillion rider. This makes a big difference to my wife. I have a 52L Givi with backrest pad, the BMW issue (though smaller) works as well in this regard.

2. A decent aftermarket seat helps the driver and the rider as well. We have Rick Mayer seats front and back, and they're quite good. Russell seats cost more but (by all accounts) are even better.

3. It's nice to have a good intercom system to chat as the miles go by. We have the cheaper model from Autocom and its has been good for several years now.

4. An aftermarket windscreen (Cee Bailey or Aeroflow seem to be the favorites) cuts wind noise and stress compared with stock.

The miles fly by. My wife is always up for a ride, the longer the better. FYI I weight 180 and my wife 120. As for your planned trip, just make sure your tires are in good shape, the oil is up, and you've got that credit card handy for gas. Enjoy!

I can echo all of Ken's comments.

When things thaw, plan a few shake-down cruises to get your routines down, especially at gas and restaurant stops so you are not futzing around with gear, etc. Pack light - take 1/2 of what you think you need. Stay super hydrated, and be sure your loved one has great gear. I wear a very light (Victorinox) backpack which serves as a holder for my wife's iPod, Sun-Pass (tolls), phone and wallet. She's staring at my noggin for extended miles so she enjoys having some gizmo storage handy. The iPod is loaded with books-on-tape when the tunes just won't do.

Oh yeah, and get her some of these...

3350b.jpg

Thank you, Ken. What model of Intercom do you have? I think I need some device where I can plug in a MP3 player as well. My bike doesn't even have the radio.

I do have the BMW top box. I also have a Givi 52 which I could install in the bike if needed to, but my question was: is the trunk ( or top box ) mounted strongly enough for a passenger to lean back against the top box, or the Givi?

Also, where is the best place to install two helmet locks? I would prefer on the rack where the top box mounts so if it rains while the bike is parked the helmets could be protected by hanging underneath the top box.

Thanks,

Pier

Thank you, Ken. What model of Intercom do you have? I think I need some device where I can plug in a MP3 player as well. My bike doesn't even have the radio.

I do have the BMW top box. I also have a Givi 52 which I could install in the bike if needed to, but my question was: is the trunk ( or top box ) mounted strongly enough for a passenger to lean back against the top box, or the Givi?

Also, where is the best place to install two helmet locks? I would prefer on the rack where the top box mounts so if it rains while the bike is parked the helmets could be protected by hanging underneath the top box.

Thanks,

Pier

Pier - I have the Givi V46 top box on my RT and a stock seat with Alaska Leather sheepskin - my wife and I have been comfortable on occasional 500 mile days, but I think for the three week trip you describe you may well want to look at an aftermarket seat option for greater comfort. The Givi box with optional backrest pad mounted makes a great, stable platform for the passenger, but I would have gottent the larger 52 liter box for touring had I known the amount of junk my wife can accumulate on a trip!

The AutoCom pro-7 works great as an intercom and you can easily add sattelite radio and/or MP3 players to it.

I have a two helmet lock from Ztecknik which goes under my license plate mount - it works fine and is out of the way.

Safe riding!

Hi again Pier. To answer your questions:

1. Autocom Junior? Or something like that. It has one auxiliary input for an MP3 player or the like. We have two iPods but have never tried them on the bike...

2. Either the Givi or the BMW is mucho strong and capable of supporting the passenger. The Givi is my preference for its capaciousness, although some find it ugly!

R1150RT_Givi.jpg

3. Buy a Helmet Guardian, which is two identically keyed locks on a bar intended to be mounted on the license plate holder. Remove the locks from the bar and mount them where you want. I put them on the backs of the side cases, which works well but has little rain protection:

lock.jpg

Be creative!

Pier, 03' RT here, get a few shake down runs then longer weekends get your packing down. You have a sweet ride for what you are talking. The BMW top box has been refer to as a purse by some but remeber the more room you have the sh-t you will stuff into it. My wife insist on the top box for comfort, back rest and security of leaving over the tail end even just around town I am sure there are limitation to the stress it will handle but we have never had any issues. We have done similiar trips like you are planning even long hard riding days we are not worn out.

I pondered which seat to go to, took a cheaper way out and got sheep skin covers and that made a big difference. I will only imagine now how much nicer a good custom seat would be.

Do a search on packing 2up camping there has been some good threads with cool tips over the last couple of years. Packing stratagies could, will make difference for convienent access and saving time and agrivation on the road or stops at night.

Sounds like you should have a great riding season just learning how it all comes together.

Ride on.

Oh those helmet locks on the rear bags, I don't ever think of those until,,, what a convenience.

2 cents on back pads for the top boxes, it pushes the passenger forward just a bit. If it is enough to be noticeable I don't know, never had one. I do know my wife has a ton of room, air circulates between us well and her riding coat provides enough padding itself for comfort.

I use the BMW system topbox.

And seat jacks if you use the stock seat.

The Givi 52 works well for us and she likes the back rest on it. The Russell Day Long and an intercom system make the ride even better, although we spent 2 weeks straight weeks on the bike and we turned the intercom off by the time we got out of Illinois. We don't talk much on the bike, but when we stop we talk a lot.

Donna and I put 36K, much of it 2-up, on our '02 RT (before I managed to wreck it) and the RT is a fine 2-up mount. In particular if you lean toward the "sport" part of 2-up "sport touring."

In addition to the spot-on comments so far, the shortcomings of the RT's suspension shows its ugly head pretty quickly 2-up. In particular the rear. Put a quality suspension upgrade somewhere fairly high on your wish list.

3. It's nice to have a good intercom system to chat as the miles go by. We have the cheaper model from Autocom and its has been good for several years now.

That's probably the best advise you'll get about how to make two up riding easier and more enjoyable (specific model of intercom optional wink.gif)

My wife and I toured two-up on long trips for several years. We didn't know what real comfort was until I had a Russell seat installed. Afterwards four to six hundred mile days were no problem. I haven't had the seat on my '02 done yet but plan to do so.

3. Buy a Helmet Guardian, which is two identically keyed locks on a bar intended to be mounted on the license plate holder. Remove the locks from the bar and mount them where you want. I put them on the backs of the side cases, which works well but has little rain protection:

lock.jpg

Be creative!

Bad news on the helmet guardian. I just bought a second one for my second bike. On paying for it I was suprised tht it had gone up to $60 but that didn't quite bankrupt me so I paid up. I got home and unpacked it and noticed they'd changed the design...still no big deal. I installed it and the new design sucks. Lock is now a small pin that moves between two metal posts so it's a PITA to get your helmet ring fit into it. Then when you go to unlock it, the key is now UNDER the lock so that you have to feed your keys down inside your helmet. Then you turn the key and nothing happens until you take your free hand (helps if you have 3) and lift the helmet to take load off the strap.

The old one was a wonderful design. I've never seen anthing easier to use. The new one sucks. I immediately e-mailed their customer service with detailed feedback and they didn't even send me an acknowledgement of reciept.

--Jerry

You have gotten some good advice (at least they all said what I would say!) my wife and I spend 1-2 weeks a year together riding wherever. We have learned to take less and spend a few quarters at a laundromat when needed.

I have a Russell seat, the BMW topbox with a homemade backrest (taller than the BMW one) and I mounted 2 helmet locks under the topbox where at least some rain is shed. I used thin steel plates inside the box to serve as a backer for the locks. I also added passenger footpeg extensions which my wife really felt helped on those long days to relieve the leg cramps. We use a chatterbox because that is what our friends have and they work OK on the RT for us.

If you keep HER happy, you will be happy thumbsup.gif

RTafterwreck001.jpg

Hello Pier. The wife and I usually put around 10,000 miles a year. We had used the rear trunk with pad for years. It seemed fairly comfortable. Coming back from the trenton rally a RT with a U-pack on it instead of the trunk passed us up. It looked really comfortable. When we got home I got on the internet and purchased one. Wow, a lot more room and wife says its like sitting in an easy chair. We have a auto-com pro and we love it. Just my two cents worth. Ride Safe Detroit

Oh yeah, and get her some of these...

3350b.jpg

You would know:

635490-ears.jpg

tongue.gifsmile.gifcool.gif

Without seeking to be silly. In the last Australian Roadrider mag there was a very good article on helmets. Covered a lot of issues and sought to clear up many myths as well.

Cutting to the quick. It said attaching things to your helmet which may prevent it from sliding should you come off can cause serious if not fatal neck injuries. Instead of sliding you helmet catches and twists which is the concern.

Just thought I'd pass on the info.

Cheers

thencamebronson

Based on a three week 6400 mile trip my wife and I took on my R1100RS, I would suggest a riding suit for you which has a lot of pockets, since that is where all of your stuff will be packed. grin.gif

Like everyone said, An aftermarket seat & windshield greatly increase comfort. The top trunk is plenty stable as a back rest. My wife & I are aproximately the same size as you guys and the RT is great for two up touring. Take the back roads thumbsup.gif Do take some all day rides to tune your bodies up before the long trek.

Another thought on the helmet lock. The slots in the RT luggage rack are tapered. If you get a piece of aluminum milled to fit the tapered oval slots in the rack like this.

54856150-M.jpg

And get a helmet lock from a R1100R (which you can key to match your ignition) The you can slide the plate into the rack and install the lock.

54856153-M.jpg

Works with or without panniers or topcase, no extra key to keep up with and I think I only paid $15 for the plate to mount the lock. I only added one, but there are two slots so easy enough to add a pair.

54856173-M.jpg

I'll try to dig out the contact info for the person you made the plate if anybody is interested.

Either the Givi or the BMW is mucho strong and capable of supporting the passenger. The Givi is my preference for its capaciousness, although some find it ugly!

My girlfriend homebrewed this backrest...with this and the airhawk pad shown below on a Corbin seat, she rode with me to Arizona and environs for 8 days and came back my wife...(she must have been at least somewhat comfortable grin.gif)

Never know what might happen on a Beemer grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Pack light, keep your sense of humour and go wherever the call calls...!!! clap.gif

Take Care

Cameron

30392795-M.jpg

30392794-M.jpg

erich schneider

my girlfiend is fine with 200 -250 miles with no complaints. I have been considering getting a comunication system but am not in a big hurry. Its kind of nice not having her talk for a few hours every now and than. Her only complaints with riding on back are about her lack of heated grips when its cold.

My wife and I only travel 250-300 miles each day. We NEVER set a distance that we expect to cover as there are so many things to see and we stop when we're ready. The most we have ever travelled in a day is 400 miles and the last 80 miles was not enjoyable.

We have a top box with a backrest, radio, Autocom and all the conveniences that make the bike comfortable for long trips. We stop well before the enjoyment runs out.

The are more comfortable bikes for travelling the long, long miles like the Goldie and the LT but while they offer comfort, they give away ground clearance and some sportiness.

Over the long haul, your posteriors will harden as the miles pass. For what reason do you need to do the 6000 miles to enjoy the ride?

To help prevent long distance riding fatigue, stop often; before your bums get sore.

Archived