IGNORED

Dealer Question

kgerry

does this sound normal: i took my '13 RT in for it's first service at about 1000 kms... a few things didnt seem to be right or at least i wasnt sure if they were working.... didnt shift from N into 1 without double or triple clutching it, right heated grip didnt seem as hot as the left grip, etc... figured they would check it all out for me... i was informed that if they didnt actually find a problem on any of my "complaints" that i would be charged shop rate for the time they spent on it as BMW does not pay for "Diagnostic Time".... WTF??? so basically unless a part has broken and is hanging off they dont want you complaining about anything...?? does this sound like true BMW policy or just a lazy/crooked dealer?

I brought my bike in more than once while under warranty, small things, nothing serious. Like you they didn't find anything. Cost = zero. They shouldn't be charging you anything as long as it's under warranty. BTW, the gearbox question you have seems to be a common one. Mine did the same thing for a while. While it doesn't do it very often now, every now and then I have to double clutch it. I don't think it's serious.

The shifting into first gear from neutral issue has been normal on all of the BMW's that I've had and don't think anything of it myself. Just the way that they've built them I guess.

thats really not my question... i have learned to live with it...

does BMW seriously not cover any diagnostic time if you suspect a problem?? what if there is indeed a problem and it's intermittent? or the dealers fails to diagnose it? I am expected to pay everytime?? what good is a warranty?

Well, it does sound like BMW, i.e. the company famous for claiming if something is not working as designed, its the owners fault for not using it properly. :Wink:

Paul In Australia

To answer your question...No that is not correct. They obviously don't believe you have a problem. Go find a new dealer.

Regards

...BMW does not pay for "Diagnostic Time".... WTF??? so basically unless a part has broken and is hanging off they dont want you complaining about anything...?? does this sound like true BMW policy or just a lazy/crooked dealer?

Just a lazy/crooked dealer. Not that it should matter for warranty service, but did you buy the bike from that dealer? If you did, you should write a note to the owner/principal saying you'll never buy another one there again and will spread the word of their crooked warranty service policy.

Of course if something's not free the dealer is crooked.

But the statement BMW doesn't pay is patently obvious. If something's truly defective, BMW under warranty pays standard rate for replacing it plus pays for the part. BMW doesn't pay for that diagnosis either. Nor does any bike or car manufacturer anywhere. It's ridiculous the service person should think this needs to be said. They need to raise their labor rates to cover their diagnoses. How happy will everyone be about that?

To get a BMW into first from neutral press lever at exact moment you squeeze the clutch, assuming motor running. It's the way they all are and it's normal and probably should be a question for your salesman.

Personally I can't conceive of a service writer making such a statement to me. Because I'm nice to them, indicate I respect their knowledge and I'm not a whiner. Life is a self-fulfilling prophecy and the treatment you get is most often the treatment you expect.

sorry Kent but i have no idea what you are trying to say here... are you saying it's normal for manufacturers not to pay for diagnostic time? are you saying if anyone suspects their brand new bike might have a problem that person is a "whiner"??? if i take my Lexus in under warranty and say i feel an odd vibration or clunk i dont expect to be charged for them to look at it... it's under warranty... (should i wait until a wheel falls off at highway speed?)

yes this was the dealer i purchased the bike from although they are in a different city (150+ miles away)... they are the only dealer in the province and i cant go 500+ miles to the next closest dealer...

i gave them no attitude at all... just dropped it off for it's first service, which i paid for as expected... but to be charged for looking at the heated grips and for looking at the clutch issues is rediculous.... at this point if i feel any strange vibrations or hear any strange noises i would be afraid to say anything because it's going to cost me $135 pr/hr for them to look at it....UNDER WARRANTY....

I don't have direct knowledge of BMWNA policy, but assuming they are similar to the automotive industry where I do have some experience ... then yes, the manufacturer will generally not pay the dealer for diagnostic time if there is no defect found. Why would they? The warranty covers manufacture's defects. The dealer may absorb the cost internally as good will to a customer ... or not. Yours apparently chose not to do that.

I think this can be simplified.

Regarding the grips, on the repair order, it will say something like, customer states the left grip doesn't heat up as much as the right grip. (Or whatever)

For the tech to disassemble things, check connections, examine the grip for broken wires, etc. and there is no problem found, you will be charged.

If there is a problem found, the grip will be replaced under warranty.

In real life, the tech will turn on the grips, get his thermal heat gun and shoot both grips. Likely they will read within a few degrees of each other and he will note "both grips heating normally" and tell the service writer his findings. No charge.

The writer will tell you "yea, we used the heat gun and they are fine" and they likely are on such a new bike.

Regarding putting the bike into gear, as already stated, your salesperson should have covered that with you on the test ride even.

There are several voodoo methods but you might try this one. I sold BMW's for 15 years and it's pretty flawless.

Pull clutch in.

Push down on shift lever and hold.

Let clutch out a bit, the bike will drop into gear.

This was really an issue on the R1100's. The 1150's-1200's much better, but a cold engine, the boots you wear, the position of the moon can sometimes make it sticky. Completely normal. You'll get a rhythm down and be able to do it without even thinking after a while.

As the bike gets more miles on it, you'll probably see the occurrences get fewer.

Archived