IGNORED

Metalic/Pinging sound

bmwdavid

I mentioned this in another thread but wondering if anyone else has heard a metallic sound when taking off in first gear. It is a sound similar to pinging when letting clutch out and taking off in first gear. Just would like to know what it could be.

As I also mentioned in that thread, most definitely have it on mine too. Waiting to hear back from dealer as to what they say causes this normal characteristic. Will post on this thread what I find out.

Dan

Unless there is a logical explanation that makes sense, don't take whatever they say as gospel :-) Dealers' famous lines seem to be "oh, that's normal. They all do that" :-)

Mine does the same thing except in any gear. Almost sounds like a spark knock from using the wrong gas but I put the highest octane I can find and still does it.

Unless there is a logical explanation that makes sense, don't take whatever they say as gospel :-) Dealers' famous lines seem to be "oh, that's normal. They all do that" :-)

I thought Harley

Dealers was the only ones that said that....

I spoke by phone to the service manager today. The RTW's will ping. It can be minimized by:

1) Using the highest octane available

2) Getting gas at a pump with hose dedicated to high test

3) Not using gas mixed with ethanol or the lowest amount possible

Even then, there is likely to be pinging, though I don't know if I can even find non-ethanol mixed gas and probably am not going to go out of my way to get it.

I asked him to confirm that there is no danger of damage to the engine given "this is what they do", and he said none.

I've been through this with other vehicles, am very particular, and ordinarily wouldn't tolerate it - especially on a $20k+++ bike. That being said, I kind of knew about it before hand, and the boxer makes so much "characteristic" mechanical racket that it just is what it is. Besides, Honda doesn't make anything I want (at the moment) ;)

Hope this helps.

Dan

I spoke by phone to the service manager today. The RTW's will ping. It can be minimized by:

1) Using the highest octane available

2) Getting gas at a pump with hose dedicated to high test

3) Not using gas mixed with ethanol or the lowest amount possible

....here's a couple of sites to check out to locate "good" gas in your area.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

http://pure-gas.org/

Hopes this helps.... a little anyways.

So we now have to hunt for 'just the right fuel' for these bikes? Surely not. These engines must have been tested and approved to run of - how shall we say this - less than perfect fuel, from all around the globe. These bikes are sold everywhere and BMW would know that.

I haven’t heard any ping on my 14RT. I’d buy only top tier fuel and always when you can find it ethanol free. Since you seem to be having this problem I’d find a new gas station too. My 02R1150RT didn’t ping on mid-grade, I haven’t tried mid-grade in the 14RT and I don’t think I will give what been said here. You could also buy Octane boost.

Jay

We don't have ethanol free around here and I'm not going out of my way to drive to it or using additives. At least I now know with certainty what the issue is. So, I'll choose to enjoy my new RT for what is is, not what it's not. And I am enjoying it.

This board is great tool - thanks everyone.

Dan

We don't have ethanol free around here and I'm not going out of my way to drive to it or using additives. At least I now know with certainty what the issue is. So, I'll choose to enjoy my new RT for what is is, not what it's not. And I am enjoying it.

This board is great tool - thanks everyone.

Dan

I too don't have easy access to ethanol free gas, my yard power equipment sure would like it too. Picking up a bottle of Octane Boost is your way to see if the ping goes away. I don’t know of any way to change the timing, it has to be run by the computer. My Ford F150 can run on E85 (I’d never buy that crap) the computer makes adjustment for the different mixture, I wonder if the RT computer can learn to do the same?

Jay

If your new Waterhead, or old Hexhead RT is pinging more than just for an instant, it's broken. Starting with the Hexheads in 2005 RTs have had knock sensors which allows the engine management system to retard the ignition to prevent pinging. For max performance BMW recommends 93 octane but these bikes will run fine on the "cheap" stuff too... with a little less oomph.

I think I read from somewhere that the 2014 R1200RT doesn't have knock sensor?

That is my understanding from a BMW promotional website. Supposedly a sophisticated design produces turbulent airflow into the cylinder that negates need for knock sensor.

I think I read from somewhere that the 2014 R1200RT doesn't have knock sensor?

That is my understanding from a BMW promotional website. Supposedly a sophisticated design produces turbulent airflow into the cylinder that negates need for knock sensor.

Knock sensor was used to detect pinging. Not sure how introducing turbulent airflow eliminates the need to know if the engine pings or not?

Wow. I found a thread on the bmwlt.com forum which confirms this. No knock sensor. And now we're seeing people report that their Waterhead RTs are pinging. Way to go BMW. Morons. Reminds me of the lifetime oil rear drives.

I am not currently in the market for a new bike, but if I was, this would be a deal killer for me. Not putting knock sensors on a 1200cc twin with 12.5 to 1 compression is beyond stupid. It is a definite step backwards.

I didn't see knock sensors when I looked in the BMW parts fiche, but might have missed them.

There are other means besides knock sensors to detect abnormal combustion. For example ion sensors can be built into the ignition circuit, but I don't know if BMW has employed ion flow technology in this case.

They have in some of their other products, mainly high performance cars.

Even with knock sensors there can be some intermittent pinging as the control adjusts the running parameters to meet fuel and operating conditions.

This thread seems odd, because I haven't noticed any pinging on the 14 RT. On the other hand my 04 RT pings noticeably from a standing start. However, I just moved to a much higher elevation (ABQ) and switched to the 14 RT at exactly the same time. So I am wondering if the difference in the local gasoline specs. or elevation may have something to do with this.

One other note. The 04RT recommended 91 or better octane, but I am thinking that the 14RT recommends 89 or better octane and no more than 10 percent ethanol. So again, I would think the 14RT should be less susceptible to pinging.

Archived