IGNORED

Best Maint. Manual for new R1150RT owner who is just starting to learn how

Kenboy

The title pretty much says it all. I love this new (to me) RT and I want to do my best to maintain it. Suggestions on best manual in the 'RT for Dummies' vein?

Morning Kenboy

Both Haynes & Clymer have a decent service manual for your 1150RT. I see in your profile that you have an 02.

You didn't give us a model year in this post but if you have a later Twin Spark model then neither Haynes or Clymer have enough on that to do much work with.

Both the Haynes & the Clymer have some errors so on serious service functions, or major repairs, you really should double check the Haynes/or/Clymer against a real BMW service manual, or just ask here on this site as a some of us here have done what you intend on doing many times over.

In my estimation you really should have either a Haynes or Clymer as they go into more detail for the Do-It-Yourselfer. Then, also have a BMW service manual, as the BMW manual has more specific info on most major tasks. The down-side of the BMW manual is it is written more for experienced tecs that already know how, but just need some quick detail or specification.

There are also numerous BMW service bulletins sent out to dealers over the years that show changed procedures, new or updated specifications, & sometimes troubleshooting areas that are NOT in any of the manuals.

If I had to rank an order of information to get before doing a major service or repair it would be--

(#1)- THIS SITE- overall info here is usually better than anything in the manuals as the info here is from many sources as well as it can include background including service bulletin info.

(#2)- Either Clymer or Haynes (some good tips for home services)

(3#)- A good BMW service manual for the year range bike you have (info here includes special BMW tools & procedures but lacks specifics on HOW to do the job)

Jim VonBaden over on advrider.com makes DIY rerair videos. I've never seen one, but they're pretty much universally lauded.

Better suggestion is to get involved with your local BMW club. Somebody there will likely enjoy helping you and will be experienced. Club could have tech days, etc. For example, in my town three of us retired guys are often looking for projects. Have lift, tools, experience ... just come over.

Better suggestion is to get involved with your local BMW club. Somebody there will likely enjoy helping you and will be experienced. Club could have tech days, etc. For example, in my town three of us retired guys are often looking for projects. Have lift, tools, experience ... just come over.

+1 on the local club. You can find there info HERE :thumbsup:

Between this forum, Google and you tube you'll find any information and clarity of questions. This has saved me and enlightened me on many occasions and still does. This forum is part of my daily constitution. Good luck and welcome aboard.

Archived