IGNORED

Tire Brand & Pressure ?

Chopperjockey

Chopperjockey

Howdy all, I'm new to this forum, a transplant from the LT forum. I traded my LT in for a New Rt about 3 months ago. After 5K miles on the Rt , the rear tire is showing some wear. She came stock with Michelin Pilots. What kind of tire life should I expect ? Also what tire pressures give the best wear/handling ? I'm currently running the recommended manual pressures. What other brand tires work well with the RT for mileage but without giving up the great cornering ? No regrets moving over to an RT. Superior handing,cornering, power,acceleration. The comfort is par to the LT. Sure don't miss the extra 300lbs the LT had.

Cowboy thumbsup.gif

I get about 6k on Pilot Roads, which is about the same mileage I got from my previous RT 1150. The Dunlop that came on my RT 1200 wore so quickly that the cord was showing thru at 4k... Riding style and road surface make asking about mileage hard to compare....Texas/New Mexico roads plus aggressive riding = fast wear...

Chopperjockey

I tend to keep my Rt on the edge of the sidewall. Any experience with any other brand tires ? Bridgestone BT020, Pirelli, Metzeler ?

Cowboy

My bike came with the Bridge Stone 020`s. After 5K to 6K

they had worn out. At about 3K I noticed cupping on the front tire. Typical for the 020`s. I replaced them with the Metzler Road Teck Z6`s. I run 36 front and 38 to 40 rear. The mileage is good, no cupping and I really like the handling. thumbsup.gif

My '05 RT came with 'stone 020's. The rear was gone at 6500 miles. I replaced it with a Metz Z6. The front lasted till 12500 miles when I replaced both front and back with Pilot Roads.

My experiance with the Metz's on my '97 was great corner traction but wore out at 6k. I'm hoping for a little better with the Pilots.

I run 40 lbs in the front and 42 in the rear when I have the trunk on and bleed off a couple of lbs when I don't.

What part of SW Missouri are you from? I'm a neighbor in SE Kansas near Pittsburg. Mo Hwy 90 is one of my favorite roads.

Rob

Arma, KS

'05 R1200RT

'96 R11RS

'91 R100GSPD

'73 Honda XL250

I have pilot roads on R1200, have almost 9000mi on them, am very pleased with wear, hope to 10,000 rear and maybe 12,000 front, I run 38 front, 42 rear, i ride agreesive and speedy. will put pilot roads next time.have fun on RT

Chopperjockey

Rob, I'm located about 25 miles north of Springfield, Mo. Another great Ride is Hwy 125 down to the Peel ferry. Thanks for the tire Info.

Cowboy cool.gif

Chopperjockey

Jim, I really like the handling of the Pilots, the wear not so good so far. I think I'm running the tire pressure a bit low. The manual says 32F/36R. I'll try 38F/42R and see how she handles. Really like this RT, don't miss the LT Couch at all !

Cowboy cool.gif

2005 1200 RT

2004 BigDog 117" Chopper

Yes, 32 front is more of a track setup. Check the Michelin web site for proper recommendations to start with.

I never run under 36 psi on the street. To squishy eek.gif

I have an ST I got 14,000 miles on Pilot Roads 34lbs front 39 rear. 9,000 miles was a trip to Cali. Up 1 and 101 to Wash. then US 2 to the UP of the 9,000 miles about 2200 on interstates in Fl. most of my miles are on back roads. I had bags full and 55lbs of camping crap on the long trip. Oh I had also gone on two trips to the BRP and Deals Gap on the tires.

Archived