IGNORED

Boxer Newbie!

RTster

Hello folks, Greetings from Vancouver, BC!!

I am not only new to this forum, but I am also new to both sport touring and boxer engines.

I have been riding dual sport bikes all along and either single cylinder or parallel twin engines have been my choice. After a tumble on a single track and a knee surgery later, I decided to hang up my dual sport boots and move to road touring. After much deliberation and research (and with mid-life crisis kicking in fast) I got myself a new quartz blue water boxer last week. It’s a totally different beast and a new experience altogether. I have been in a mighty hurry to get used to the bike and have clocked over 1000kms already.

One thing I am yet to get used to though is its transmission. Having ridden Japanese bikes and BMW parallel twins, I find the RT gear box clunky and rough at times despite claims that the new transmission is much smoother than the previous models. I have been trying to find that sweet spot within RPMs to affect the gear change smoothly, but it doesn’t seem to exist. I even tried using the onboard gear shift indicator, but it has not helped much either.

Am I overreacting and is this something I have to get used to?

I also found the bike’s rear end fish-tailing a bit during cross winds on highways. The first time it happened I pulled off to the shoulder thinking I had a flat tire. I have never experienced this on dual sport bikes. Is this normal on the RT or should I be worried?

Otherwise, I find the new RT a well engineered bike with amazing ergonomics and electronics.

Appreciate the feedback from you experienced folks.

Thanks

Harry

Welcome Harry! :wave:

Just got the same bike as you and I'm lovin' it. I'll save you the ba da ba ba ba part! :grin:

Snick snick shifts are for Japanese motorcycles. ;) The new RT is quite nice in the shifting department though. So maybe, a little more time and all will be good.

Tire pressure good? I imagine you do have a little more plastic to be pushed around in crosswinds than on a DS bike.

Good luck with the new ride, and like I said, it's most likely just a little more time that's needed.

Pat

Hello folks, Greetings from Vancouver, BC!!

I am not only new to this forum, but I am also new to both sport touring and boxer engines.

Welcome on board, good to have you here :)

One thing I am yet to get used to though is its transmission. Having ridden Japanese bikes and BMW parallel twins, I find the RT gear box clunky and rough at times despite claims that the new transmission is much smoother than the previous models.

Ohh yes, it's sooo much smoother. In regards to clunkiness, my wife's previous bike was a Honda CBR250 and it was the same as my new boxer. Her current Yamaha 600 Diversion, behaves exactly the same.

To qualify the above statements:

The Honda/Yamaha and now my new boxer, will clunk and jolt slightly into 1st gear from neutral on the first start of the day and I believe this to be the cause of the wet clutch system, with the oil being cold and thick.

1st to 2nd is a bit abrupt on the BMW and was on the Honda, the Yamaha is a bit smoother.

2nd to 1st is smooth on the BMW (better then my previous 1150/1200RT's) IF you get the rpm right, i.e don't shift unless you are really slow and low on the rpm in 2nd gear.

The rest of the gears are fine and silky smooth, when using the clutch (on my bike of course). The clutch action does take some time to get used to as it is very direct and in a narrow band....but as more as I use it as more I actually like it.

I have been trying to find that sweet spot within RPMs to affect the gear change smoothly, but it doesn’t seem to exist. I even tried using the onboard gear shift indicator, but it has not helped much either.

We here on this forum have finally worked out that the onboard shift indicator is purely for fuel economy and not for optimal rpm shifting.

Am I overreacting and is this something I have to get used to?

Don't know. Haven't ridden your bike to have some comparison, to see if "your" bike is different or if you are just hypersensitive to what is happening.

Note that hypersensitive is not meant as a derogate remark, but rather that some people have just more feel of what is happening, while the rest of us think that a "tractor" shifts smooth :grin:

I also found the bike’s rear end fish-tailing a bit during cross winds on highways. The first time it happened I pulled off to the shoulder thinking I had a flat tire. I have never experienced this on dual sport bikes. Is this normal on the RT or should I be worried?

Now THAT I never had! Let's start..the bike has a big fairing, typically for a tourer/sports tourer/. Any side wind gusts will have a larger effect then lets say on a small sport bike. That's just law of physics. Now I have ridden mine in high wind gusts and specially behind semi trailers. Yes you do feel a difference but it is in no way disconcerting and certainly nothing like you describe.

It sounds like you might have a tire issue??

Also if it is truly fish-tailing (loosing contact with the ground), then you should be seeing the ASC flash on your dashboard while it's happening.

Re: the fish tailing. The only time I ever experienced anything like that was going over tar snakes on bad Florida roads. But, nothing like that again since changing to PR3 tires. What tires are you running?

Thanks everyone. Very helpful comments.

Pat,

Guess a week and a 1000kms of riding is probably not enough to get used to a bike. Time should solve most of my issues I guess.

Alfred,

You are probably right about me being very sensitive. My riding buddies say I hear, see and feel more than necessary :). But it has also saved me (and my pals) from trouble many a time and probably avoided some major repairs too.

Camhead,

The 'tar snakes' you are referring to is something common here too. I will check this out next time.

Archived