IGNORED

14 RT Windshield and Seat

Francis

I had the opportunity to demo the 14RT this weekend and it appeared that the windshield vibrated a great deal. I'm 6'2" and in the highest position the shield was too low for me. Also, while the seat was comfortable for the test ride I think I will need an aftermarket seat for long touring days.

For those of you who own this bilke does the windshield/mechanism vibrate? Are there larger replacement shields on the market yet? Does the driver seat get more uncomfortable as the hours in the seat increase?

The windshield works fine for me but i'm not 6'2". No vibration. BMW has a tall screen for this bike, not sure if the aftermarket can or will improve on the design.

The RT has the same comfort range as the K16GT's seat. Not a 700 mile a day seat in other words. I'm on Sargent's "PRE-REGISTRATION" mailing for the new RT seat.

Pat

The only time I notice the windshield vibrating is at a stop. As for other shields, Cee Bailey has one out and I was a BMW "Comfort" shield mentioned in their catalog.

The seat? The longest ride I've done is a day of 400 miles. It was alright for that. I don't see an immediate need for me to buy an aftermarket seat yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not noticing any vibration of the shield or mechanism, but she stock shield isn't working very well for me (6'0, 32" inseam). Even in the highest position the air is hitting my helmet at highway speeds and causing unpleasant shaking leading to a slight headache. If I crouch down an inch or so the vibration goes away, but I can't see over the shield any more. After a bunch of experimenting with riding position and windshield height settings, I just ordered a Cee Bailey hoping the curvature is such that it pushes the air a little higher so I can still see over it without getting helmet vibration. California Scientific also has a shield out, and BMW has a taller one. Aeroflow won't have one until the fall according to their website, and ZTechnik also doesn't list one on their site yet (I liked the VStream on my '07 RT).

It's funny.

I am 6'2, 32" inseam and have zero issues with the stock Windscreen.

As others have reported the same issues (wind buffering) and again the same amount saying it's not an issue, the persons size/height doesn't seem to be the reason.

I am suspecting that the helmets might be the cause. Mine a Schuberth C3 keeps a clean airflow until the screen is so high where the airflow stops.

My guess is that the helmets used are great in full airflow as you have on sports bikes, but not really suitable on bikes where you are sitting more upright and might receive partial airflow from a different angle onto the helmet.

Called CalSci earlier today to check if & when they would make available a wind screen for the '14 R1200 RT Wetheads. To my surprise & delight they should begin shipping later this week.

Check out the specifics HERE:

I've had a CalSci screen on my last two RT's & am looking forward to putting another on this bike. Big improvement over oem vibration issues (in the past at least).

BitScribbler

That link seems to be for the 'old' R1200RT

The pictures are of an 'old' RT, but the price list does specifically mention the 2014+ RT as a separate option.

True, but I personally want to see what it looks like.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy, :wave:

Ordered one today; I'll post a picture when it's mounted.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
bubbamoore

Been on my 14RT for 1 week , windscreen doesn't vibrate but is very noisy at high speeds , plus head and shoulder buffeting are unacceptable. Cee Baily screen ordered today , should receive in a couple of weeks and I'll post thoughts then. Seat is also going to have to be seriously modified , I've made several short and 1 400 mile ride and pressure to the far rear was bad. Not sure yet whether to modify existing seat or go for custom.

Norm LeFevre

I'm with you, Bubba. The windscreen is noisier than i'd expect, and the seat is downright painful after about an hour.

I'm heading to the BMW rally in Birmingham next weekend and want to look at seats and other stuff.

Might be worth a short trip from FL.

BarryBeemer

I have no issue with the windscreen....6' even with 32" inseam.

I was optimistic that the seat would be acceptable as my salesman mentioned that this may be the first factory seat that won't need a replacement. The short jaunts during the break-in period were fine, but as has been mentioned by others, anything over an hour becomes downright painful. For me, it's mostly the tailbone. For my wife, she tends to slip forward and all the effort to hold a comfortable position tires her out.....and, oh yeah, her tailbone.

I had a CeeBaileys on my '02 RT for 50k miles with no issues. Thinking of going with the Russel Day Long this time around.

Just got back from a Leavenworth, WA overnighter....360 miles round trip.....OUCH!

Got my Cee Bailey shield today (large, light grey tint). Mounting holes perfectly positioned, installation took literally 5 minutes. I was worried the round shape wouldn't look well with the angular RT, but I actually really like it. Grey tint works perfectly with Callisto grey bike. I'll post pictures.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take it on an extended ride yet at full speed, but going on a quick test run around town (up to 50mph) showed a dramatic improvement over stock. Essentially no wind noise, just engine sound, and I feel a lot less turbulence around my arms and shoulders. In the full up position it protrudes into my line of vision whereas I was able to clear stock. But it doesn't have to be up all the way to provide optimum wind protection.

I'll ride it to work tomorrow and post an update. If it holds up like this on the freeway then I'll be ecstatic. The wind noise and turbulences are really the only flaw so far I have found in this great bike.

Hope this helps: Cee Bailey Screen on 2014 RT

I really like the screen, the air flow seems much cleaner to me than stock, and in the up position I can easily ride with the visor open. I no longer get any helmet shake. It's not a perfect air bubble with still some wind noise around the helmet, but much less than before (where I felt riding without earplugs could over time be detrimental to my hearing). The engine is the most noticeable sound now.

6'0", 32" inseam, Schuberth C3 Pro helmet, seat in high position.

Hope this helps: Cee Bailey Screen on 2014 RT

I really like the screen, the air flow seems much cleaner to me than stock, and in the up position I can easily ride with the visor open. I no longer get any helmet shake. It's not a perfect air bubble with still some wind noise around the helmet, but much less than before (where I felt riding without earplugs could over time be detrimental to my hearing). The engine is the most noticeable sound now.

6'0", 32" inseam, Schuberth C3 Pro helmet, seat in high position.

Can you please also tell us which size Cee Baily screen you have?

Jay

Jaqen H'ghar

I just ordered the Cee Bailey sport in dark tint, now I wished I ordered the mid 25.5" in light, oh well, I'll just order me another since its only $200 smackeroonies. My sport was intended for summer use anyway, I will post a pic when it comes in but I can't seem to figure out how to post pics on this site. Anso, how do you post pics here?

Jaqen

I’m thinking about popping for a Cee Baily shield, Free shipping thru Memorial Day (bless our troops then and now). I would normally order a clear shield but this new RT shield can’t be cleaned without removal. I was wondering if a dark or light tint would hide dirt. What you say?

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the BMW 'comfort' shield. It is the same shape as the stock but 2" wider (1" on each side) and the wings at the top are 1-1/2" taller but the bottom of the curve that we look over is exactly the same height. It is NOT taller where it matters. In retrospect, I would pop for the CB screen in these posts. I've ordered a Laminar Lip and will see how it works with the stock screens. I need that curve to be a couple of inches taller.

It is NOT taller where it matters. In retrospect, I would pop for the CB screen in these posts.

Just curious; how tall are you? Wondering if I'll need to think about a different screen when I finally pull the trigger on a Wethead.

I'm quite happy with the stock screen. Went on a 800 mile run over the weekend from Dallas up through Talimena Scenic Byway and was always able to find a perfect pocket with no buffeting or back-pressure. I'm 6'3 with a 34" inseam with an Arai Signet-Q helmet.

Stock seat is not 'bad' but the 400 miles on day 1 was about the limit without looking for an upgraded aftermarket seat. Waiting to see what comes out and may pick something up before taking a extended day high mileage trip.

Just curious; how tall are you? Wondering if I'll need to think about a different screen when I finally pull the trigger on a Wethead.

I have a long torso. If I had legs to match, I'd probably be 6'2". As is, I'm 6'0". Don't get locked in on height or inseam. The issue is how high your eyes are when seated. I'd like the shield to be at least 2 inches higher than it is.

bubbamoore

Finally got the Cee Bailey ( tall )delivered and installed. Quite a bit of improvement over stock shield. Less head and shoulder buffeting and much quieter. I believe a couple of inches wider near the top would help. The V stream on my 06 gave a better pocket but they don't have one out for this bike yet. Overall for me it is an improvement but hopefully something better is in the works.

• 1 month later...
Finally got the Cee Bailey ( tall )delivered and installed. Quite a bit of improvement over stock shield. Less head and shoulder buffeting and much quieter. I believe a couple of inches wider near the top would help. The V stream on my 06 gave a better pocket but they don't have one out for this bike yet. Overall for me it is an improvement but hopefully something better is in the works.
The more I ride with this shield , the more I like it. Good air pocket , great in rain and little turbulence , front or back.
  • 1 month later...

I'm 6'5" and had the same problem--replaced the stock windshield with the Cee Bailey's tall version and I love it--fixed my problem completely.

How long did it take? I have one on order. Thanks.

Archived