IGNORED

Whats the default North American feature set for the RTW?

fourteenfour

fourteenfour

I know the initial send was fully loaded plus, but what is going to be base for North America?

Really looking towards heated grips/cruise/esa/headlight/hill/gear and thats about it for what I really care about. Having remembered previous years I figure cruise/grips are likely for a base

I was speaking with a local dealer and he indicated that pretty much everything that's coming to NA now is fully loaded. He had heard of a couple RTWs without the radio, but only a couple.

Here are the details. I wrote them down and take them with me to the dealer. I'm still thinking about it :-)

2014 BMW R1200RT, Model 14RT R 1200 RT US USD $17,650.00

Color NC9 Ebony MET 0.00 Upholstery N/C

Options :

ZLT Luxury Package $1,525.00

143 Bluetooth Interface Control N/C

222 Gear Shift Assistant Pro N/C

270 Audio System with Radio N/C

376 Radio Software N/C

230 Comfort Package $850.00

350 Chrome Exhaust Pipe N/C

417 Central Locking System N/C

530 TPM N/C

603 Anti Theft Alarm System N/C

764 Accessory Socket N/C

233 Touring Package $1,400.00

191 Dynamic ESA N/C

272 GPS Prep. N/C

518 Heated Seat N/C

538 Cruise Control N/C

238 Dynamic Package $275.00

204 Hill Start Control N/C

219 Headlight Pro N/C

224 Ride Modes Pro N/C

992 Market Launch Equipment 0.00

Net Total $21,700.00 DEST $495.00 Total Suggested Price 22,195.00 ***

If I can order a-la-carte, I wouldn't get the $1525 option. I don't listen to music or anything when I ride. In that option, I only want "gear shift assistant".

My understanding is that the dealer can special order individual features for you from the factory, if they are willing. Just be prepared to wait a few months.

they seem to have bundled features just like the cable companies do with channels.... you have to buy a block of channels you will never watch to get the one channel you do want... same with the RT... who wouldnt want cruise control & heated seats? thats one pkg... TPMS? thats another pkg... Dynamic mode? thats a third pkg... it's not by accident that almost all bikes are coming loaded

All the bikes coming to Aus have all those options as standard, price is AU$32490 inc on road costs in the ACT. Basically accept that (& BTW I love all the features) or wait 3 months or thereabouts for delivery from Germany and choose the bike to your own spec. The more desirable features are spread across the different packs.

It's the way it is and the way it will always be unless we all stop buying BMW's and that isn't going to happen considering sales are up and how good their current range is.

In a way I am glad they have made the bikes the way they are as it leaves the way open for them to charge you AU$2000 for a top box & AU$1000 for a GPS as well as AU$500 for some engine guards...

the only thing to do is take it or leave it.

Teddy

The price of the top box is ridiculous comparing to Givi. But the GPS Navigator V must take the cake. $850 for a gps with old technology: a 5" screen with a resolution of 800x480? My 2-year old Samsung Note 2 with a 5.5" screen does 1280x720 HD, has wifi and bluetooth, can play HD videos, MP3 and everything I can throw at it, has a dozen different GPS software that I can choose from, all for 1/2 the price.

If you didn't notice: 1280x720 has 240% more pixels than 800x480.

I will totally agree on the BMW Navigator stuff. Its always seemed ridiculously overpriced to me and one or two steps behind the times.

Your math, however, I must disagree. I get 140%, but your point is taken.

But the GPS Navigator V must take the cake. $850 for a gps with old technology: a 5" screen with a resolution of 800x480?

Wow, it shit$ all over my previous Garmin Zumo 660 in a "big" way.

By the time I added a quality aftermarket mounting system, the cost difference was about AUS $300,- so less then 15% more expensive. Now regarding that it has a larger screen, finally visible in bright sunlight and it's integration with the bike/phone/etc, I think it's good value for money.

If I want cheap bike and parts I ride something like a CBR600.

As an analogue: I am sure that you will pay a hell of a lot more for optional Fog-lights on a Maserati Ghibli then you would pay on a Mitsubishi Lancer.

You are riding/purchased/thinking of purchasing a premium bike.

Not sure why you would expect KMart prices for the accessories.

I don't want to nit pick but I think 140% is correct (and it's really not important). Think about it - if you compared it to itself: 384000 / 384000 = 1.0 - that's not a 100% improvement - you always have to subtract 1. It is 240% of the original but only a 140% improvement.

The price of the top box is ridiculous comparing to Givi. But the GPS Navigator V must take the cake. $850 for a gps with old technology: a 5" screen with a resolution of 800x480? My 2-year old Samsung Note 2 with a 5.5" screen does 1280x720 HD, has wifi and bluetooth, can play HD videos, MP3 and everything I can throw at it, has a dozen different GPS software that I can choose from, all for 1/2 the price.

If you didn't notice: 1280x720 has 240% more pixels than 800x480.

The Galaxy s5 is more than half. I just read an article that said the cost to make the S5 is $236 and the retail is what, 600-650? I guess Garmin has nice margins.

I'm sure you have priced a GPS equip car, $800 no way and I wonder how well it works if you spill your coffee on it :).

The only think cheap on a BMW motorcycle is its rider.

Jay

I'm sure you have priced a GPS equip car, $800 no way and I wonder how well it works if you spill your coffee on it :).

The only think cheap on a BMW motorcycle is its rider.

Jay

My son owns a Holden Thunder Ute (remember? Holden/GME?).

The GPS option was AUS $1200,- and a GPS map/software upgrade is just under AUS $700,- !!!!!

This is a common GME/Holden vehicle. Not a Merc/BMW/Porsche/Ferrari/Maserati/Jaguar........

i sit here shaking my head and smiling... once again, how did a discussion about the default RPO option list for a "base" RT devolve, morph or tangentially merge into a discussion about Nav units (and their resolution rates)....

BTW, you'll notice that Nav is not even listed in the "option pkgs"... here in Canada, "GPS prep" is part of the "Touring Pkg - code 233" for $1530.00... you still have to buy the Nav V separately...

Here are the details. I wrote them down and take them with me to the dealer. I'm still thinking about it :-)

2014 BMW R1200RT, Model 14RT R 1200 RT US USD $17,650.00

Color NC9 Ebony MET 0.00 Upholstery N/C

Options :

ZLT Luxury Package $1,525.00

143 Bluetooth Interface Control N/C

222 Gear Shift Assistant Pro N/C

270 Audio System with Radio N/C

376 Radio Software N/C

230 Comfort Package $850.00

350 Chrome Exhaust Pipe N/C

417 Central Locking System N/C

530 TPM N/C

603 Anti Theft Alarm System N/C

764 Accessory Socket N/C

233 Touring Package $1,400.00

191 Dynamic ESA N/C

272 GPS Prep. N/C

518 Heated Seat N/C

538 Cruise Control N/C

238 Dynamic Package $275.00

204 Hill Start Control N/C

219 Headlight Pro N/C

224 Ride Modes Pro N/C

992 Market Launch Equipment 0.00

Net Total $21,700.00 DEST $495.00 Total Suggested Price 22,195.00 ***

I have one other build that a dealer shared with me:

Touring Package (as above)

Dynamic Package (as above)

Technology Package $1,525.00

-Bluetooth Interface Contr

-Audio System with RAdio

-Chrome Exhaust Pipe

-Radio Software

-Tire Pressure Mon

-Accessory Socket

Total Suggested Reail $21,345.00

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw a new option offered by a local dealer here in Calif beside the $22195 and $21345:

$19870 MSRP which includes only TOURING + DYNAMIC packages + $50 socket.

One of the annoying "defaults" for USA is no headlight switch.

The "angel eyes" serve as DRLs elsewhere, but for USA we get them AND headlight always on.

Archived