IGNORED

New bike issue.....front brake shudder

KER

Just got my new '14 RTP and have about 100 miles on it. Noticed since the day I took it home some front end shudder when using the front brakes. Used it today and got a good feel for it and now for sure feel a noticeable shudder when using the front brakes. Rides smooth otherwise and the brakes function but there is a something going on. Already have an appointment to take it in to get looked at but I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced something similar? Used a dial indicator to check the run-out on the rotors and both seem seem normal, checked the pads and both look normal. Guess I will have to wait and see what the dealer says.

**What got me thinking even more when riding it was how did a tech do the pre-delivery test ride and not notice this major issue? I noticed it immediately when I left the dealer the day I took it home.

First thing to do is try some normal break in procedures. Using brakes too gently on new machinery can create problems.

If that doesn't work, then perhaps there is an actual mechanical issue.

Do a half dozen partial stops fairly hard (not into the ABS) from 50 or 60 to about 20. Not complete stops. Doing a lot more stops is not better- you don't want to overheat anything. Full stops are also not better..

Then let the pads cure overnight and repeat the procedure once more.

If that doesn't fix your problem it may be mechanical so should be looked at by your dealer.

Two things need to exist for pads to work well and smoothly

1) Pad material deposition layer on rotor (not easy to see, often invisible)

2) Bedded mechanical contact between rotor and pad

That's what break in procedures are intended to accomplish

Dealer replaced both front rotors. There was a slight run-out on both rotors. Have only been able to ride it home from the dealer but feels much smoother now.

I had both front rotors (and pads) replaced on my '12 RT, both were warped at the 10,000 km (6k mi) service, felt more like a pulsation then a shutter.

• 4 weeks later...
Used a dial indicator to check the run-out on the rotors and both seem seem normal

Maybe time for a better Truing stand? Btw, what is the factory acceptable runout?

Archived