IGNORED

Mounting Bunji Buddy's on 05 R1200RT bags?

keithb

I need some advice. Have any of you R1200RT owners mounted Bunji Buddy's to your bags yet? The bags seem to be much thicker than the 04 bags. I am afraid the shank of the screw is not long enough to go all of the way thru the bag. If you have mounted some where exactly did you place the bunji buddy. Some pictures would be great. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Keith:

There was some discussion a while ago on this subject.... I took my small top case apart, don't ask crazy.gif and I can tell you that the 1200RT bags are double walled with linkages etc. between the walls. I would not drill through unless you know exactly where the linkages are inside the walls of the bag. Since I did not take apart the side cases, I cannot tell you where or where not to drill.

I put Bungie Buddies on the top of the large topcase - one on each corner. It's double walled, but no linkages or any other stuff there. The screws were long enough.

Will post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a feeling this would not be easy so I am 0-2 so far. It is obvious the walls are thicker in some areas on these new bags. I am quite scared to start drilling into them not knowing if the shank of the screw will be long enough or missing the linkages you spoke about. I definitely want to be able to tie down a large duffel bag back there but it is a challenge so far. Another concern is scratching the color matched bags. They look great but scratch so easily. I plan to put a 3M Clear Fairing bra film over the bags for protection.

Archived