IGNORED

Not an oil thread...please!

AndyS

(engine, gearbox & FD)?

Jawbone? :S Sorry Andy, sometimes it just gets away from me! :grin:

movie-still-oilcan.jpg

Serious note, I believe the Engine oil and Trans fluid is one and the same now.

Pat

Pat, I am impressed with your ability to include pictures on posts.

It seems such a long winded process I struggle to motivate myself. However, your recent offerings have been WELL worth the effort (tin man excepted!), Thanks.

Wish I could tell you it was a very technical process that took many years of study to master, but I can't. Copy and Paste into the photo icon box above. ^ ;) Note... Different if you are posting your own pictures. Photobucket first.

Oil that BMW recommends is Castrol Power 1 Racing (says Racing so it has to be expensive) :grin:

5W-40 Approx 1.1 Gal with filter.

Pat

There's a difference between recommending and specifying.

Specifications are specified, not recommended.

These are in your owners manual and there's no need to ask a forum what they are.

There's a difference between recommending and specifying.

Specifications are specified, not recommended.

These are in your owners manual and there's no need to ask a forum what they are.

Thanks for letting us know there is a difference between those two words, we had no idea! :rofl:

BMW actually does both in my manual (specifies, and recommends).

"Engine oil spec: SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2"

"Product recommended by BMW Motorrad: Castrol

Power 1 Racing"

NB

Well, I have a problem here, as I don't have an owners manual. In fact I don't even have the bike.

The reason for the question is to try and factor in any exotic lubricants into the running costs of a shiny new bike. You see, my shiny old bike uses cheap motor oil as specified and recommended by BMW.

Again, thanks Tewks for letting me know. What about FD oil?

Andy

Andy, I happen to have my owners manual right in front of me and unless I missed it, it says nothing about the FD fluid. I'll do some research.

Pat

Well, I have a problem here, as I don't have an owners manual. In fact I don't even have the bike.

The reason for the question is to try and factor in any exotic lubricants into the running costs of a shiny new bike. You see, my shiny old bike uses cheap motor oil as specified and recommended by BMW.

Again, thanks Tewks for letting me know. What about FD oil?

Andy

It's been posted here before, enjoy the manual. http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html Just click on Service and maintenance/Rider Manual

Jay

Archived