IGNORED

Anyone have a list of approximate services costs ?

fourteenfour

Not that much difference from the CAMHEAD is my understanding with the exception of periodic coolant refresh. As always, highly dependent on your dealer of choice as I've seen as much as 30% variance between dealers for the same exact service.

OzarkR1200RT

My first service was thrown in w purchase.

Coming from a GTL.......got 4,000 miles per set of fires.....$$$$$$

Hoping to get 6,000 out of the RT's......

My first service cost me less than $200. They had the bike for hours changing the oil, final drive fluid, re-torquing, and re-adjusting everything, BMW of Denver was very thorough going through the entire bike.

What would you expect to pay if you owned a new Porsche, Mercedes, or BMW car? You don't think a BMW motorcycle is different, do you?

What would you expect to pay if you owned a new Porsche, Mercedes, or BMW car? You don't think a BMW motorcycle is different, do you?

Over here we do.

We pay just marginal (negligible) more then one of the Japanese bikes for service.

The main higher costs are in OE parts and liquids, but that is fair enough as you also get a 24 instead of just 12 months warranty on parts and labour.

fourteenfour

Well for their cars you pay nothing. Go figure.

As we know free maintenance is a competitive thing, you pay it's just built into the cost of the vehicle.

The different between a Porsche and other high end car dealership compared to the bike dealerships I visit are night and day. The showrooms even have clean grease free bathrooms :). The shop rate I see at bike dealers is about $85/hour. I don't know what a Porsche shop charges but I would guess $125/hour or much higher.

Why does one dealership change $187 while the other changes $250? They get what they can and I'm sure in most cases they need it to say in business. BMW oil for the New RT is about $17 per quart, the dealership pulls the oil from a large drum I think the profit for them is much higher when they sell the oil thru the shop vs over the parts counter. Good for them this is the place they should make a good profit.

Jay

Well, to be a bit picky here, when you buy a new BMW car, the scheduled maintenance is indeed included in the purchase price. You've simply pre-paid for your service; you're not getting it for free.

In Australia:

1) 1st brake in service: AUS $294,-

2) 2nd service at 10,000km AUS $275,-

3) 3rd service at 20,000km AUS $479,- (this is when the shims are being adjusted.

The back to 2nd service costs...

In Australia:

1) 1st brake in service: AUS $294,-

2) 2nd service at 10,000km AUS $275,-

3) 3rd service at 20,000km AUS $479,- (this is when the shims are being adjusted.

The back to 2nd service costs...

In the scheme of things that's not too bad, once warranty is up I'll probably take it to Mick Owen for servicing as long as he is up on the new wetheads. He certainly will be cheaper than Rolfe BMW but Mick would not have the experience yet. Mind you do any BMW dealers have experience with them yet?

Teddy

Edit I was quoted AU$260 for the 1000kms service but managed to negotiate the first service in the deal.

The quoted prices are standard BMW prices in Australia. I have no issues with them.

The oil alone is AUS $100,- due to it having to be full specific synthetic oil.

Plus all work is covered by a "two" year warranty, compared to the standard 12 month warranty.

Picked up the bike yesterday. First service was $191.96 US dollars. Four dollars more than the estimate. Obviously, most of it was labor. $100 dollars for 1.1 hours labor. I suspect that different labor rates may account for some of the variations that are being seen.

Archived