IGNORED

Throat Microphones & Yaesu FT-8800 Amateur Radio

Mitch

Does anyone have any experience with the use of throat mics for communications on their bikes??? I'm looking for one that is of pretty good quality...not a PRYME system though. More specifically, I'm looking for someone with the knowledge of creating an interface between the mic and the control head of a Yaesu FT-8800 with a PTT button.

I know that throat mics are made for Yaesu radios, however, they are mainly for their HTs and not their mobile radios. Since I've only been able to find throat mics that are interfaced for HTs, I'm looking for someone who has constructed an interface between the mic and the radio, OR, who knows where I can obtain an interface to work with a Yaesu FT-8800.

Thanks...

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Mitch, I wish I could help you. Most of us interface our radios through an Autocomm, which has a PTT switch as an accessory. Then just call Autocom and ask for a cable. They're not cheap, but I have NEVER had a problem interfacing my VX-5 or my Kenwood TH-F6A. Neither are a mobile, but if Autocom doesn't make a cable for it, I bet they would try.

Mitch,

I've got a fairly new Yeasu VX-6R and interface it through an Autocom w/ PTT and it works great. I'd like to check into the 8800 for my pickup, let me know what you think of the radio, if you don't mind.

Do you ever work the SW Lynx system? We have a repeater in Lubbock on the Lynx.

Hi Darrell...

I've got the FT-8800 mounted on my bike. It works great. I prefer it over the Icom 2720 that's in my truck. It doesn't have as many buttons on the control head to worry about. Very easy to operate. Don't work the SW Lynx system much...I'm pretty active on the Salt Grass system though.

As a long time ham I can't pay someone to make a cable.

I'd suggest looking at the mic itself, the mic connector pinout, or one of the many sites to help interface the rig to a packet radio setup or so on.

Mitch,

I tried a throat mic with my wife having one also. They were the Iasus ones. They were even marketed for MC use(i use them for other reasons though)....

I have the Sniper version which has the PTT built in...

Unbelievably great in quiet areas....

I was less than impressed with them on the Bike... Very hard to hear and the voices sounded mumbled......

I have an Autocom and that is definitely the way to go.....

Mitch,

I agree with RokRide's reply. My wife and I tried two different throat mics to use at an event and the audio was horrible with both brands. We also tried them while bicycle mobile and they where even worse with wind noise at any level of adjustment.

The Autocom PTT system works very well and the helmet mounted mic has decent audio quality if you keep it against your lips. I also don't use the VOX with the Autocom. IF you take a look at your pin out for the PTT circuit in the schematic that came with your radio, you should be able to whip up an interface cable to the Autocom.

I use a spare Yaesu FT-51 HT mounted in the tailsection of the bike with a mobile antenna mounted on an independant mount under the luggage rack. Use RG8-X coax to the radio and the results are pretty good. SWR is the same as mounted on a vehicle.

I too was looking at a throat mic with PTT for bike to bike comms and talked to Autocom about it. Their response was basically that it did not work - one of the principal problems being wind and clothing "noise" when the PTT was open. I still wonder if it might work when shielded by a snood or other suitable neckwear

I use a throat mic with my Kenwood Freetalk. It has a PTT that Velcros to my index finger for ease of use while riding. I forget which brand it is, but has an "acoustic" ear bud / plug speaker.

The audio is crappy (as posted above) compared to almost anything else, but is usable for bike to bike communications. It also has two advantages for me: It is simple and cheap; and it is self-contained and wearable so that I have no cables going from me to the bike. After being a Goldwinger for a while, I didn't want any more of that "wired to the bike six ways from Sunday" stuff. I can hop on and off the bike as I please w/o unplugging a bunch of stuff.

So, if all you need is to be able to "communicate" at a very basic level, it works fine. Would be completely awful for anything else.

I tried a throat mic in my race car and it didn't work worth squat. I then moved the same mic up on the chin bar of the helmet and it worked very well there.

I wish I remembered the brand of the mic, but all I know is it was one that picked up from a vendor at a hamfest.

Archived