IGNORED

Night Ride 14 RT

TEWKS

Hey, I promise, this will be great if you just finished painting a room or your office. ;) Yesterday I took my first night ride on the new bike. While the headlights are good on this new RT, the Adaptive Headlights on the K16 GT is NOT a gimmick. :Cool:

Pat

Thanks guys, I messed up on a few edit points and a transition fade or two but hey, ticket prices are cheap. :grin:

A K16 GT at night. PS... Not my vid, some minor fluff before demonstration.

Pat

fourteenfour

wow, almost makes me want to go look at the K16... until I get thoughts of service costs (my k13 is bad enough as it is)

Wow, the comparison between the two videos reinforce how we RT riders have been short changed. That adaptive headlight looks sublime. The RT on the other hand reminds me off what riding a bike with bright headlights throughh the bends is like. Into a corner and everything seems to go darker than ever.

I do hope BMW Listento us and put that on the RT.

To call those pathetic angel eye corona rings 'professional' lighting is an insult. Night riding on a bike deserves the adaptive headlight.

Rant over (for the time being)!

Thanks for the vid - very good.

Did you find the dash and GPS lighting too bright? Can it be dimmed down?

Thanks.

To call those pathetic angel eye corona rings 'professional' lighting is an insult. Night riding on a bike deserves the adaptive headlight.

Those rings are daytime running lights. Outside North America, there's a headlight on/off switch.

No, I didn't mind the lighting but do understand what you're saying. Very dark setting with bright lights in your face, not good. Like I said, seemed fine to me.

On the dimming though, yes you can. Go into settings, scroll down to user and then brightness, you can dim them down to -4.

Pat

Heard a rumor that a 2014 RT has been seen with with the adaptive lights and that it will be available probably as a retro add on next year.

No, I didn't mind the lighting but do understand what you're saying. Very dark setting with bright lights in your face, not good. Like I said, seemed fine to me.

On the dimming though, yes you can. Go into settings, scroll down to user and then brightness, you can dim them down to -4.

Pat

Thanks Pat.

Rgds

Glenn

Wow, the comparison between the two videos reinforce how we RT riders have been short changed. That adaptive headlight looks sublime. The RT on the other hand reminds me off what riding a bike with bright headlights throughh the bends is like. Into a corner and everything seems to go darker than ever.

I do hope BMW Listento us and put that on the RT.

Rant over (for the time being)!

I feel a lot of things when I throw a leg over my new RT, and I can't say short changed is one of them.

Cool vid Pat.

NB

A riding buddy has the K16GT and when he was behind me I could barely see him during the day, I imagine oncoming vehicles had the same view. I suggested he use his hi beams during the day, you could sure see him then.

I don't get it with the almost obsessive desire for daytime lights. We have huge motorcycles, if someone can't see them, then they really shouldn't be on the road.

However, headlights are there so the rider can see where he is riding his bike. These are of UTMOST importance. So however pretty the corona lights are (and they are), head lights are more important. My point is, there is an available solution to make night riding both safer and more enjoyable and BMW didn't take it.

I don't get it with the almost obsessive desire for daytime lights. We have huge motorcycles, if someone can't see them, then they really shouldn't be on the road.

But they ARE on the road.

But in my opinion it is not so much those who CAN'T see you, it is those who DON'T see you because they aren't mentally looking for you and thus not PERCEIVING you as a physical object or threat they should avoid. Go to Jeff Dean's site and see this article on "inattentional blindness."

http://bmwdean.com/blind.htm

At night, a single or closely spaced pair of stock motorcycle headlights do not assist in being recognized by other motorists. I believe the triangle light pattern created by low mounted aux lights makes a world of difference in both conspicuity and in simply being recognized/perceived by other motorists. The triangle light pattern makes a big difference in my opinion, both day and night.

A corollary: I have lived near busy railroads/crossings all my life, and am used to expecting an seeing trains. Locomotives are huge and have a bright headlight. Nonetheless, I also find the triangle light pattern that the feds required with the addition of "ditch lights" only makes them even appear more ominous to a motorist. (which is the objective)

As others have stated the triangle pattern makes us more visible. I run the Clearwater Glenda LED lights that are dim-able night and day in the amber spectrum. Have you ever seen a Cadillac or Corvette coming towards you with their amber running lights? I always notice those cars.

Archived