IGNORED

Linked brakes on '14 RTW?

bwr

Can somebody confirm if the brakes are linked on the '14 RTW?

I'm assuming that the front lever will active front and rear brakes while foot lever will only activate the rear brake, but want confirmation.

Thx!

Guest Kakugo

I think brakes are akin to those used on later Hexhead and Camhead models, meaning the rear pedal only works on the rear brake and the front lever activates the front brakes and the rear one, but in "progressive" fashion, the whole process being overseen by the ABS unit, which decides how much pressure to apply at the rear.

Yep it's a good thing! I have a 02R1150RT, it has fully linked brakes, no problem with them either. I've put lots of sMiles on the twisty road of Arkansas, Missouri and the Texas Hill Country. I know some guys say they trail brake, not me (couldn’t do it I wanted on my 02) don’t really know why on the street unless you’re too hot going in and trying to save yourself. The new RT doesn’t link the rear to the front.

I have to say I miss the power brakes of that bike vs. my New RT.

Jay

I don't mind having the front brake lever activate front and rear brakes, but I really like the ability to use only the rear brake in slow speed situations using the pedal: being able to feather the rear brake at parking lot speeds really helps with slow speed stability and making slow tight turns. Looks like this is still possible.

terryofperry
"Front and back brakes are linked together, and they operate seamlessly with the computer handling the proportioning chores. The pedal operates the rear only for those that like trail-braking into turns with the rear brake."

2014 BMW R1200RT First Ride Review

David, I thought "trail braking" was done with the front brakes, at least according to Ienatsch and Spencer.

Just saying.

Terry

Dave Stephens
"Front and back brakes are linked together, and they operate seamlessly with the computer handling the proportioning chores. The pedal operates the rear only for those that like trail-braking into turns with the rear brake."

David, I thought "trail braking" was done with the front brakes, at least according to Ienatsch and Spencer.

Just saying.

Terry

Guess you'll have to ask Jonathan Handler, the author of the article :grin:

" Trail braking is a motorcycle riding and driving technique where the brakes are used beyond the entrance to a turn and are gradually released up to the point of apex.....In applying this technique, motorcycle riders approach turns applying front brakes to reduce speed. As they enter the turn, they slowly ease off the brakes, gradually decreasing or trailing off the brakes as motorcycle lean increases. This is done for several reasons."

Just saying.

Terry

Trail braking is done with the rear brakes. BMW makes the foot brake operate only the rear brake for this reason.

Morning

Trail braking on a MOTORCYCLE means different things to different riders.

Slower less aggressive riders consider just dragging the rear brake a little into a corner or tighter curve as trail-braking. (I suppose there is a case that it is, as more than likely, that light braking with the rear brake is being carried into the bike's lean-over & farther into the corner). I presume this is just used to make the bike (and the rider) feel more stable as it enters the corner or curve.

Next, are the riders that lightly or even heavily drag the REAR brake "only" for low speed maneuvers like "U" turns & tight low speed turning. Again, I suppose that could be considered trail braking as the braking (even though only rear) is carried into the turn & bike lean-over. (To me this isn't true trail braking even though a lot of riders probably consider it as trail braking)

Then there is true motorcycle trail braking that some of us use to pass other difficult to pass motorcycles in a turn or tight curve. Or just use on daily basis to go faster than can be done with no trail braking.

This is to brake late (like REAL late) as we enter a turn or curve, using either front brake or both brakes (depends on bike & bike's wheel base/weight balance), then start progressively releasing the brake (or brakes) as we aggressively lean the bike over into a turn or curve. This gains bike stability as we aggressively lean the bike as well as gains front weigh transfer (front tire traction) & also allows us to carry the braking w-a-y farther into the turn or curve than normal so we carry more speed LATER into the corner or curve & carry more speed closer to approaching the apex.

If you ride with an aggressive group of riders you will be the last one to the next point if you don't aggressively trail brake as a good trail braking rider will just sail right around you as you diddle around entering a turn or curve braking before you enter the lean-over.

I have to say I miss the power brakes of that bike vs. my New RT.Jay

Hi Jay, I have to say I can't see the difference. They are both very powerful, easy to modulate, and well up to the task.

I have to say I miss the power brakes of that bike vs. my New RT.Jay

Hi Jay, I have to say I can't see the difference. They are both very powerful, easy to modulate, and well up to the task.

Hi Andy,

The 2014 RT does have good brakes I didn’t mean to imply otherwise, sorry. My 2002 has what is called by some Whizzy brakes they include a very complex ABS system. The brakes are powered; with a light touch of one finger you can bring the bike to a fast stop. Some folks dislike them I’m in the other camp. The system was only used for a few years. Google “whizzy brakes” you will hear both sides.

Since the bakes are powered and such a light touch is needed the bike seem to stop extremely quick. If I chose the stop as quick with my 21014 RT I need to grab a handful of brake, that’s the difference.

Jay

DR gave you a definitive answer but rather politely.

No racer ever uses trail braking in reference to the rear brake- ever.....

The purpose of trail braking is to do 2 things

1) Heavily load the front of the machine to assist turning by transferring force to the tire doing the steering.

2) By gradually backing off (or trailing off) the brake force, being able to brake deep into turns (right to an apex if appropriate) while turning (not braking in a straight line only).

It is a necessary technique to master for any type of vehicle to be truly fast and has nothing whatever to do with the rear brake but how the power of the front brake is used to load the front tire and then is gradually released.

It is most useful at the end of fast straights which end in long duration curves- by carrying brakes deep you can be faster into the corner. And as long as you can keep it on the edge of traction while braking and get back on throttle at the earliest opportunity, be as fast out as anyone.

It is also useful to get vehicles more quickly around tight slow turns where the vehicles normal tendency is understeer. Heavily loading the front with a gradual release while turning will eliminate understeer.

There is a variant of the the above which also works well for some vehicles in tight corners to do the same as the above but does not involve brakes at all- it is a simple lift or chop throttle done very briefly. When the throttle is closed, springs will transfer force to the front end and assist turning (eliminate understeer).

Whether to trail brake or use a lift/chop throttle move depends on the specifics of the turn and vehicle.

Rear brakes tend to stand up vehicles which is exactly what you don't need trying to be fast through a turn. Locking a rear (or spinning a rear or anything loses all effective rear traction) is a recipe for a spill or spin depending on the vehicle. Accidentally standing up a bike in a turn might put you over the center line as well, not a recipe for longevity.

I liked my old RT whizzy brakes a lot. i miss them. The 14 is very traditional with one exception. I thought I would test the independence of the rear brake by using the rear pedal only on straight and level pavement. From about 50 mph I pushed the rear pedal only as hard as I could....Scary...it certainly doesn' slide, there was no chirping or stuttering of ABS, and from my perspective it had very little stopping power..not because it was rear brake only, but it really didn't slow the wheel very much. I pray my front brake never fails because the rear brake is just not enough....

Archived