IGNORED

Bonded with my GS today! Thanks Jim!

SSTwin

Even though I've only put 400 delightful miles on my 1200GS since buying it 3 weeks ago, it was time for the 6K service as I'm doing my first longer ride in a couple of weeks.

Did the valves, oil/filter, installed the TT oil cooler guard and the TT cyl head guards this afternoon, All went well, and I want to thank Jim Von Baden for his excellent writeup a couple of weeks ago on doing the valves. Easy and complete is how I'd describe his writeup. A real plus!

Valves were almost spot on, but I did them anyway for the practice. She runs just great and sounds "normal".

A couple of questions for the gurus out there. Since the new, "improved" 1200GS tool kit doesn't contain either a spark plug wrench or the plug lead puller that came with my traditional BMW tool kit with my R1150R, what do you use to replace them in a simple tool kit upgrade?

Also, I didn't do a TB sync at speed because I wasn't sure of which cable (right or left) to loosen and adjust at speed with the TwinMax. Does it matter? Any advice (Jim ?) BTW, the bike runs great, no vibes, no issues at all. Should I even mess with the sync at this time?

Love the bike, no issues, just want to ride!

thumbsup.gif

a spark plug wrench or the plug lead puller that came with my traditional BMW tool kit with my R1150R, what do you use to replace them in a simple tool kit upgrade?

A spark plug socket and locking extension.

BMW makes a special tool for pulling the coils off the plugs. It's nicely made, but $40ish.

Also, I didn't do a TB sync at speed because I wasn't sure of which cable (right or left) to loosen and adjust at speed with the TwinMax. Does it matter?

No, as long as neither side is so tight as to hold the throttle open.

Archived