IGNORED

PR4 tire pressure

walton66

Just replaced my ME Z8s with PR4-GTs. I was running 36/42 on the Z8. Are you, who have already mounted the PR4 running the same pressures.

Thanks,

Bw

Doug_Baliko

I'm running PR4 GTs. Running 42R/38F. I just came back from 3 days in Arkansas and I really like these tires. Hit some heavy rain and they were very stable. In the twisties I like them much better than previous PR3's. Enjoy!

I found that on the PR3's I had, if I didn't keep the front at 40 or so, I had cupping so I ran 42 r, 40 f. I've got a new set of PR4's that I'm going to go 42 r, 36 f and see what happens, still in my 1st thousand miles so it will be a week or before I know for sure. Probably going to Arkansas this week to hit those twisties as well.

I heading up from FL to Tellico Plains, TN in 3 weeks and up the BRP and other roads in the area before stopping at the GA Mtn Rally on the way home, all told about 3k so I'll get a pretty good feel about the PR4. I'll stay at 36f/42r and see how they look when I arrive. Thanks for the feedback. From your Ozarks journey, great area, was there about 10 years ago.

bw

Blind Squirrel
I heading up from FL to Tellico Plains, TN in 3 weeks and up the BRP and other roads in the area before stopping at the GA Mtn Rally on the way home, all told about 3k so I'll get a pretty good feel about the PR4. I'll stay at 36f/42r and see how they look when I arrive. Thanks for the feedback. From your Ozarks journey, great area, was there about 10 years ago.

bw

Keep us updated!

• 1 month later...
I found that on the PR3's I had, if I didn't keep the front at 40 or so, I had cupping so I ran 42 r, 40 f. I've got a new set of PR4's that I'm going to go 42 r, 36 f and see what happens, still in my 1st thousand miles so it will be a week or before I know for sure. Probably going to Arkansas this week to hit those twisties as well.

I found the same thing. Anything below 40 psi on the front and it started to cup.

We had a great trip, a little over 3k, with about 1k on the slab. I ran 36/42, cold pressure, all of the time. In that period I dont notice any overt cupping on the front tire. I really like the tires. I hae the GT version and they were teriffic on all of the surfaces. Coming home we rode from Jacksonville to Titusville on I-95 in a downpour and there was never a wiggle. On the twisties, they never seemed to get out of track. I was two-up with my wife most of the time so I was not pushing the envelope at all. On the day I got to ride alone, I rode from Tellico up and over to Dahlonega, GA on GA-60 and back. Teriffic road and the tires were a confidence booster. Nothing beats that new tire feeling.

I'm a bit new to this. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a new set of PR4s, getting rid of OEM Bridgestones; well today I went out to the garage and the rear was flat.

I'm also a road bicyclist and know what to do when I flat tire. Now I a wonder what I should carry as a kit for my R1200RT.

Weird, last Monday I rode to work because my Jetta TDI had a flat. Of course I have a full sized spare and the other since I have a long commute.

What do I need to consider????

A very good kit is the Stop and Go plugging kit. They make a large kit (the original) with a "caulking gun" type plug inserter that takes up a bit of room under the seat. They then came out with a screw type plug inserter that is much smaller and still works fine. The plug is a "mushroom" type plug that is held in place by friction. The kit was actually downsized from the car world and I've used them with great success for maybe 8 years. I've sold them as an accessory at the dealership by the box and have had many customers report how glad they were they had them on trips.

The first time I used my kit was on my F150. It picked up a nail and I limped it home and used the kit. Called the nephew who worked at a tire shop and they had to order a new tire. As I knew I should replace it. 3 months later he calls to see if I was ever coming in for the new tire! I had completely forgotten about the plug and the tire hadn't lost any air. That was good enough for me.

I bought a kit for each car and a large Slime brand compressor for each.

For my RT, I have the motorcycle size Slime compressor as one of the magazines tested several brands and found it to be a good value. I personally don't care for CO2 cartridges tho many swear by them.

IStop and Go has their own kit with compressor now so there you go.

I've also used the kit on "cut" punctures by jamming 2-3 next to each other and it worked.

Please READ the instructions and play with the plug inserter a few times. You won't hurt the plugs to run one thru the tool a few times and they give you more than you'll ever need in a lifetime on the kit.

Riders get impatient and won't read the instructions on loading the plug. You MUST poke it all the way down the barrel of the tool.

I know other plug kits are out there but this one works so well I had to throw in my testimonial.

Just replaced my ME Z8s with PR4-GTs. I was running 36/42 on the Z8. Are you, who have already mounted the PR4 running the same pressures.

Thanks,

Bw

I'm having a set installed tomorrow (replacing PR3's). I plan to run 36/42.

I had a flat on the way home from the dealer after purchasing my bike. They sent a trailer and put on a new tire for me but I decided right then I would have a flat kit with at all times. Its a temporary fix in my opinion but being stranded is no fun!

Archived