IGNORED

Thoughts on the new RT

AndyS

I managed to get round to test riding the R1200RT and the K1600. I have recent experience with the R1200 Camhead as a reference point and my current bike (of choice) is an R1150RT.

Firstly let me get the K1600 out of the way. I knew this bike was heavy, but nothing prepared me for the disappointment of how badly it carried its weight. Let’s face it not even the 1150/1200 could be considered light, but once moving the weight somehow disappears. Not so for the 1600. At every moment of the test ride I was aware of both its weight and its reluctance to change direction. I started off in Rain mode which softens everything down (throttle and suspension) – so I thought this might be the culprit. Alas no; I worked my way through the modes ending up in the sports mode. Still it was disappointing.

So what about this 6 cylinder motor – that’s got to be great, ‘cos this is the flagship bike? Not for me. It sounded busy at idle. Whirring away at 900 rpm or so. Blip the throttle and the revs clamber up towards the red line impressively. However in reality out on the road the bike felt gutless unless you wrung its neck. When treating it like a 2 stroke it goes like a rocket, but surely that is missing the point. For overtaking cars, it really needed dropping 2 gears to make a swift safe overtake. Then the fairing…This too disappointed. Sure it looks pretty (in my eyes), but the screen doesn’t work as I would expect it too on THE tourer of the range. I won’t go on any more because you sense my disappointment.

So what of the new RT? The ride started off with a briefing of what all the knobs and switches do. I am generally neither fazed nor impressed with vehicle technology unless it can prove its worth. So I paid attention to what was being said. After the briefing it was time for a good look around the bike. The build quality seems excellent. We shall have to wait to see if surface finish of components will endure. I hope so. The bike is a tourer, so we expect it to be large, and it is. We also expect loads of storage…which there is and there isn’t. The panniers are large, high quality double skinned items which are easy to open and close (much more so than the 1150 for sure). The top box is also good but I was disappointed that it has a latching system that requires you to empty it before you can take it off the bike. If this isn’t a big deal for you, fine. But, you need to know it merits a tick down for this. Then the storage in the fairing itself! Apparently 2 pockets. Only just though. Big enough for say a smart phone when laid flat or passport maybe. Maybe even a wallet if it was a thin one. So maybe under the seat? The rider’s seat is removed by putting the ignition key into the lock in the pillion seat on the left hand side. Very neat, very easy. The rider seat lifts up and away revealing the seat height adjuster. This is a clever plate that when inverted allows the height of the seat to change by a few centimetres. It is again beautifully simple to use. However you only have 2 positions, so when buying your bike, choose your seat carefully. You can opt for the low, normal or high seats as zero cost options. Now, where do BMW put their tool roll? The bike comes supplied with a full tool kit stowed in the base of the rider’s seat. The impressive selection of tools comprises a small spanner and a screwdriver! I don’t know how the rest of you feel, but I like a fairly complete tool kit when I tour. I want to be able to maybe even help out other riders. If you want to add a tool kit, it will have to go in the panniers or top box….along with my compressor, tyre repair kit, spare oil, disc lock sidestand plate, washing bowl, rope, tape, spare bulbs, first aid kit binoculars etc. The new RT has scored another touring demerit point before even turning a wheel.

We’ll get on with the ride and come back to instruments later. Again I hit the mode switch in the right-hand switchgear and select rain mode. I also select the function to tell the bike that there is a rider and pillion aboard. The bike lets me know it knows by displaying 2 helmets on the ‘RID’. So we are off. Let’s start gently. The bike pulls away beautifully and instantly feels familiar to my old boxer. Low speed balance is tested as I negotiate a gap between a couple of illegally parked delivery van. Whoop feet up and no wobbles. Instant tick in the box. Clutch action is light and pleasing. Throttle action in rain mode also pleasing. First junction turn left, so where is the indicator switch. Darn it, they still have bowed to the media pressure and used the Japanese style indicator switches. It isn’t that I am new to these. All my non boxers had them. It is just that they are not as intuitive. Sure you get used to them, but the left to go left, right button to go right was much better when you got used to them. Unfortunately, the journalists moaned about them and in this case it seems like BMW did it. I am sure the new type is cheaper to produce, but that’s not the point! There is a fair reach for the thumb to get to the indicator switch. I’d like to see them nearer the hand for such a regularly used item. However, the horn button is spot on. The left thumb falls naturally to it.

The pillion gives some feedback saying that the relationship between the seat and the pegs (for her) is probably the best she has come across. Her seat is also flat and allows her to move around to different positions. It also has sufficient padding to prevent her sliding about on acceleration / deceleration. Another tick. The rider’s seat is a different matter. After my wonderful 1150’s seat, this not only feels hard, but also became too hard by the end of the test ride. Not good (for me at least). I look forward to seeing the development of this issue in the forums to see if other folk change their saddles.

So now we are cutting through the traffic and at the traffic lights I am stopped. Lights turn green; ease it into first gear…CLUNK. This sounded just like the old R1100RT gearbox! I am not de-meriting it for this, but it did surprise me. To put it into context it the gearbox action generally is very good.

Time for mode change. Select ‘road’. Yep things are quicker. Time to start playing with the left hand selector wheel. As I said at the beginning, not impressed with gizmos for the sake of it. However, this hand wheel thing is great. First of all I play with the suspension settings. Rotate the wheel and watch the display, right that is what I want, push the wheel sideways and the selection is made. Simples! We play with the suspension soft, normal, sporty. All good. Tick.

Next we play to test the heated grips. It is the second function on the wheel (I think). Again, dial the wheel, watch the display the many increments of temperature change push the wheel sideways. Done. Same for the riders seat temp and all the rest of the functions. Big tick in the box.

I’m now feeling pretty familiar with the bike. The bends are being tacked faster and each time is the same. Position, view line, nail it. The exhaust growls delightfully. Tick…but with caveat. The exhaust noise is great momentarily, but, it isn’t momentarily. The exhaust noise becomes intrusive as the ride goes on. My 1150RT is quiet, no ear plugs at normal speed - maybe at motorway speeds, as the wind and engine noise increase. The new 1200 would demand that I wear earplugs. It is not that it is really loud, just intrusive on a bike that I want to tour for hundreds of miles and want to appreciate all the things around me, not being reminded all the time about the bike I am on. De-merit here.

The performance is EXCELLENT. So now to try out the quick shift – this is just for the Fireblade’s and Hyabusa’s surely? Wrong. This is an excellent must have for me. Overtaking or swift acceleration has never been so smooth. The bike leaps forward and click, click, click of the gear pedal (leave the clutch alone) and the passenger is impressed to. She would normally feel the pull back of the acceleration and then as the clutch is dipped to pull the next gear she would come forward and so on till we have reached desired velocity. Not so on this new bike. The gearshifts are so slick she is constantly pinned to the top box until we level out on the acceleration. BIG GRINS. Likewise on the clutch less downshift. The shifts are quick and engine speed matched to road speed wonderfully. But, if you accelerate/decelerate gently, using the clutch less system, it treats you like an idiot. It lurches and lunges as if to say “can’t you at least handle this simple stuff on your own?” One more tick.

The next ‘gimmick’ I wanted to try was the Hillstart assist. I really thought this was going to be a waste of time, but I’d give it a go. First on uphill starts. Bring the bike to a halt as normal. Pull the front brake hard-ish. A little light illuminates in the display letting you know you are in the Hillstart assist mode. Let go of the brakes and do whatever you have got to do, maybe wait for the traffic to clear, and then snick the bike back into gear. Don’t worry about putting any brakes on. The bike automatically applies the brakes. Apply the correct amount of throttle for the conditions and ease out the clutch. The bike will feel what is happening, and once it reaches a certain point it releases the brakes. It works really well and is one less thing to think about when trying to pull out uphill into busy traffic. Using it downhill is equally useful but it feels a tiny bit jerky as it lets go of the brakes. No gimmick and gets a tick.

I have now got used to the toys and start concentrating on the ergonomics and cockpit as if it were my own bike on a long tour. I have already mentioned the intrusive exhaust note. The next gripe is the screen. I am using the comfort screen. It appears to be a TINY bit wider than the stock screen, but is taller. However, my arms and outer parts of my upper trunk can feel the tug of the wind. The screen is not up for the job. It also aggravates the cockpit noise. At speeds where my 1150 is whisper quiet with its AeroFlow screen (up to 70mph), the 1200 shows the wind noise. Oddly it doesn’t get much worse as speed increases. The screen on my 1150 becomes noisy above 70mph, not so this ‘comfort’ screen. I dial up 3 figure speeds to test it out. This bike is very happy at these velocities and is actually MUCH quieter than my 1150, (also, needless to say SO MUCH FASTER AND QUICKER).

So to the price. In the UK the price ranges from about £13200 for the basic bike. £14300 for the SE version. £15300 for the LE version. Then of course there are extras on top of that. The essential must have’s.

Final gripe. I have potentially spent a huge part of my savings on a touring bike. But I can’t tour on it because there isn’t enough room for our luggage in the panniers. Why? Because there are 2 of us and one of the panniers is already half full of my tools and touring stuff. No worries, buy a top box. Do you realise those things are hewn out of solid platinum! They must be for the price! Somewhere around £900 for a case! Also because it is in effect not removable, you will probably be talked in to buying an inner case. That is yet more £s.

The ride leaves me mixed up. I LOVE the performance. I hate the seat. I love the handling; I don’t like the constant presence of the exhaust noise. I love the technology; I hate the lack of storage space. I love the flexibility of the engine, I am unsure about the looks of the bike (in comparison to my beloved 1150RT)…but I like it a lot when compared to the earlier 1200’s. I love the quick shift, but am disappointed the lighting is not BMW’s adaptive system.

Will I get one of these RT’s? Probably. But this jewel of a bike is seriously found wanting as a full blown touring bike.

Hi Andy

As you said, lots of things are subjective.

In comparison:

I love the seat

Really enjoy the sound of the engine

Have not tried "quick shift" yet

This bike is far more sporty then the 1150RT, I just don't think they are comparable.

The screen? Well, I am in a warm country and so far it's great. But as we are moving towards winter, I will be able to get a better feel for it's all season ability.

Yes nowhere to carry your tools, but the side cases. There is zero room under the seats or anywhere else on the bike itself.

This bike is so much more: Flickable/easy handling/feels lighter/so much more "GO", then any of it's predecessors, that comparisons are a bit pointless. It's certainly more focused towards sporty performance then "cruiser" style riding.

Exhaust is too loud, that's not good.

I wear foam ear plugs all the time, so maybe not an issue for me.

I did test a couple GSWC, and the exhaust note was quite noticeable under spirited acceleration, but nice and quiet while cruising at speed.

Over the years, I tried a couple aftermarket exhausts.

One system came equipped on a used R1200GS that I purchased.

Think it was a Remus... even with insert, was way too loud for my liking.

Then, at a BMWNA Rally in Minnesota, I purchased a Staintune for my 2003 K1200GT. The long ride home after the Rallye was torture knowing I had just spent good $ on what amounted to, for me, an annoyance.

Ear plugs may make he differance, but I'll pay extra attention during the test ride should I ever consider owning an R1200RT WC.

I didn't say the exhaust is too loud, or are you saying that?

I felt for me it was too intrusive. Others don't. But I would need to wear ear plugs when currently I don't need to.

Have not tried "quick shift" yet

C'mon Alfred, let's get this thing going. You will love that gizmo.

This bike is far more sporty then the 1150RT, I just don't think they are comparable.

Ah, but that is the point. They are meant to be the same genre. They are comparable and the new RT trounces all that have gone before!

This bike is so much more: Flickable/easy handling/feels lighter/so much more "GO", then any of it's predecessors, that comparisons are a bit pointless.

The new RT is indeed agile, but oddly so too is my 1150RT. more so than it deserves to be. Where the new one scores it the suspension adjustable on the fly and the increased ground clearance. I think I won't be decking by centrestand on corners on the newbie.

For those of you who have them, you will constantly find it is a pleasure to use through the bends.

Andy, you must be the first person to like the seat on your 1150RT. The custom seat market made a fortune off of the 1100 and 1050RT. I'm on the fence if I'll need a custom seat on the new RT, it's looking more like I many not.

Jay

Sorry strataj. The 1150 seat is VERY comfortable once you have got the angle set right by fiddling with spacers. I will agree that the original 1100RT narrow seat was uncomfortable, but the upgraded comfort seat (which is the stock seat on the 1150) along with relevant spacers make for a good saddle. It may not be the best, but it is good.

I must agree with Andy, I find the comfort seat on the 1100RT very comfortable now after 120,000 miles ;)

On my test ride of the new 1200RT I found the seat to be to my liking (much more comfortable than the Trophy). But time will tell...6 weeks until delivery!

Thanks for your perspective.

Very interesting.

This is the first RT I have ridden, and after many disappointing experiences on tractor-like GSs, I found the bike to be excellent.

I love the slow speed handling. It feels so light for a big bike. The riding position is the best I have experienced. The exhaust noise doesn't bother me as I come from sport bikes and Triumphs :) Mind you, I won't be rushing out to get the accessory (louder) can...

Your points re the lack of storage are very well made. I always fly solo, but some more space under the seat would have been preferable.

As for the gold plated top box....IMHO, it actually detracts from the look of the bike. I will use a Givi.

After turning 2500 miles on my new RTW things have started to come together for my Bike and I. This is far and away is the best handling BMW I have owned to include my R1100S setting sadly in my garage looking for sunshine and miles.

Smooth, powerful, agile, quick and comfortable do not as a rule find their way into the character of one Bike. Compromise, of course it's a Sport -- Tourer ... I have had a couple of previous generations of RT's all differ and this RTW presented some questions and challenges for me.

I think there less space on this bike for storage than on previous bikes, no question, and I ride solo so it has less impact for me than two uppers. I really didn't use the under seat area on my previous bike for tools mostly documents so I personally can't see this as an issue. It does present challenges for the placement of the a fuse box but if this lack of space has that much bearing on the RTW decision maybe you need a all out Tourer not Sport Tourer. I was considering a move to GTL to get flat footed and be more stable with a load but was concerned about the extra weight on handling. Along came the RTW and settled that issue.

Storage space in panniers seems to be on par with my 2009, not scientific but I have all my riding gear, small backpack with tools and compressor, tire plugs and air gage. Tight but I get it all in one side, left side bag. Leaves my right bag for day trip items and clothing. When on a longer trip I have a 28 L top case from my 2009, that will get painted to match, that will use for all the daily use / stop stuff when on the road leaving the right pannier for overnight travel items and my Duffle strapped to the rear pillion with misc gear. I had a BMW Tank Bag for my 2009 and it was really nice but I just never used it.

Had a friend who sold an 2008 GSA and got an RTW, first trip with his wife on the RTW was his last. They were use to packing the GSA like a Duce and a 1/2 and trucking down the road. The RTW will not do that it's a Sport Tourer. He just purchased a Brand new 2012 50th Anniversary GSA never titled, machine for his mission. Kept the RTW for solo touring.

I did not find the Ergonomics comfortable for all day touring on RTW in the Out the door configuration. To much forward lean, closed angles on both knees and hips placed way to much pressure on my shoulders and lower back. I added the Suburban machinery Drop Kit for the front pegs which opened up my hip and knee angles and allowed a more balanced / centered sitting position. I have also added a Bakup for lower back support which made a huge difference in the Long Distance comfort factor. When making an open road trip I also find moving the seat to the High position makes everything just kinda fall into place. I am not quite flat footed but by no means uncomfortable at slow speed and parking lot situations thanks to the low CG and excellent motor.

At speed on the Highway I don't find the bike noisy but I always wear earbuds ... I know how can I tell well I have always worn earplugs or earbuds. By comparison I think it's much better than my 2009 particular from a turbulence standpoint. I live down South but we have had a very cold winter and I thought it did a good job in the cooler temps. I'm 5'11" and 175 with 30 inch inseam. There seems to be more air moving nearer the rider and when riding in strong wind or generated turbulence from trucks and vehicles you seem to lose the pocket of quiet air very abruptly. Did a 275 mile ride today at 79 degrees and I thought the screen worked great, could feel a little radiator heat if I stretched my knee out into breeze but other than that no hot spots. I will look at aftermarket windshield as the get reviewed and tested.

I have been a Russell Day Long convert for many years, but I made the decision to try a Rick Mayer seat for style reasons more than anything else. But I have to say the OEM is not bad and I am going get some more miles before making a final decision. I am really surprised by this as I have never found a BMW seat that worked for me before.

Throw in the shift assist and hill assist, the much improved low speed handling and you have got to give BMW credit when credit is due. They executed one very sweet machine or "Kit" as my former UK Mates would say.

Love the bike waiting for new Farkles to be available.

I didn't say the exhaust is too loud, or are you saying that?

I felt for me it was too intrusive. Others don't. But I would need to wear ear plugs when currently I don't need to.

I didn't think I misunderstood you, guess I did.

When you wrote that the exhaust was intrusive when cruising at speed... I took that to mean that it was too loud for your comfort as the rider when cruising at speed.

I was attempting to agree with you that exhausts that are intrusive at speed, like the aftermarket examples I mentioned, detract from the ride, 'cause they're TOO LOUD.

Personally, I like to hear the exhaust note when accelerating briskly, then, I like the exhaust note to all but disappear when cruising at highway speed. All of the bikes I've owned over the years, with stock OEM exhaust systems, to one degree or another have basically provided the balance I like.

When I think about it, on my 2003 K1200GT, it's the howl of the intake / airbox that's sort of exhilarating on brisk acceleration. The exhaust note is always nicely...well... muffled / muted.

My 2012 650 V-Strom has a great little exhaust note when twisting the throttle aggressively, all but disappears when cruising, even though the little twin is spinning at high RPM on the highway at speed.

I'd be curious to test ride an electric bike... no exhaust noise, no valve train noise.... wonder how that'd be? Weird I bet.

No I'm not ... But very much a Sport Tourer favoring Sport riding criteria. I think of the GTL, GW and such as Full Tourers with compromises favoring Touring needs. Comfort, capacity, seating, power and weight ... That's all.

No I'm not ... But very much a Sport Tourer favoring Sport riding criteria. I think of the GTL, GW and such as Full Tourers with compromises favoring Touring needs. Comfort, capacity, seating, power and weight ... That's all.

Agree

The latest RT is more focused towards the Sport/Performance side then any of its predecessors.

Agree

The latest RT is more focused towards the Sport/Performance side then any of its predecessors.

Exactly. Which is why this former sport bike and FJR rider likes it. It performs well, and yet is excellent for racking up the miles. It handles and stops much better than a FJR.

It is the most un-Beemer-like Beemer I have ridden. :/

On the first test ride I had to convince myself this was a BMW, first thoughts were this felt very Japanese, me like lots...

Teddy

Nice write up mate :) !

At least Nettie liked her part of the bike then LOL!

I recently sold LeRoy my R1100R to a ride buddy and now just have DaRTh in the stable. Afte refurbing the old boy, I just fell back in love with the RT again and am now riding him and enjoying him more than ever. Mine came with the Comfort seat on it and both Deb and I have never suffered from a sore bum, even on the longest days.

A ride buddy of mine just bought a new RT and he has owned all the different RT's from 1999 until now and he likes the new one. But he also liked all the others LOL!. He was over for a beer Friday and said that when next we ride together, we can swap bike so I could try his WB on for size.

However, I will never sell DaRTh and I'm really not interested in replacing him with "new technology" but it will be interesting to compare them in the "real world" of Hill Country sweepers and twisties. As soon as this happens, I too will post a report. But, in the end, I'm sticking with my R1150RT. It is still the best looking RT ever, has sufficient power, great brakes, excellent handling and is, IMHO, the best for two up touring!

And solo, no problem......there aren't many riders around here that can keep up with me in the twisties ;) !

I just took delivery of a new 2014 R1200RT Friday and have only got to ride 125 miles due to the weather. I came off a Harley and have rode that brand for the last 20-25 years. I will never own another Harley. I have been missing allthe fun. I have never rode a bike that handles like the 1200RT. It is fast and handles very well. I can highly recommend the bike.....Jack

As I posted in the WetHead section earlier today:

"Yup I picked up my 2014 RT on Tuesday. I have owned in the past the 1100, 1150 and 1200 RT's, not to mention 3 K bikes and 3 different iterations of the GSA's over the last 20 years.

This version of the RT is simply the best bike that BMW has ever produced, period. Just saying."

a few people have said the riding style favours the UJMs... this would be a problem for me.. i tried an FJR and Connie and found it very uncomfortable to be leaned forward like that for any length of time...after an hour or more my back would be killing me.... i really like the riding postition of my '13 RT... very upright... like my Bonnie....

a few people have said the riding style favours the UJMs... this would be a problem for me.. i tried an FJR and Connie and found it very uncomfortable to be leaned forward like that for any length of time...after an hour or more my back would be killing me.... i really like the riding postition of my '13 RT... very upright... like my Bonnie....

The riding position of the 2014 is no more forward then the previous model.

At least compared to my 2005 Hexhead and I have not heard that there was a change in riding position in the model range from 2005 ~ 2013.

As I said earlier, I have owned an FJR.

The 2014 RT is MUCH more comfortable than the FJR. Much less forward lean.

Archived