IGNORED

No demo 2014 RT for test ride?

bmwdavid

I talked to Max BMW and they said their wont be any Demo bikes for another month or so. Has everyone who owns one buying it without a test ride? I just finalized negotiations on a fully loaded 2014 1200RT and wondering if I take a leap of faith and purchase it without test riding it. Is it hands down better than the 2013?

One more question that concerns me. Has anyone ridden theirs in higher temps? Does the liquid cooling cause the bike to throw any kind of heat on the rider?

I did not have a test ride before I bought mine. In my opinion, you will not be disappointed with this bike. I was out running every twisty road I could find last weekend, and the bike was great. I have not had the opportunity to ride it in warm weather yet, but I don't think heat will be an issue.

Did you happen to notice the speedo/Tach/display dash area moves around freely when you press on it? I happen to press on it while at the dealer and it moves all around. I assume it is free floating and meant to be that way.

There's plenty of GSW test rides around to give you a good idea about the motor, trans and wet clutch. Granted, some changes were made to the driveline of the RT but the feel is similar. The new RT is a dramatic improvement over the previous generation, feels much more nimble and many + features. I traded my 2011 RT in without a test ride but did have an extended GSW test ride last year that sold me on the engine. No disappointments here!

No test ride here but it was offered. Decision was already made. Coming from the K16 GT (still a flagship BMW M/C IMO) I did have some concerns. I absolutely love this new RT with zero regrets. :thumbsup:

Pat

Yes. It is meant to do that. It is adjustable. I found that to be quite handy. When I started I was having some trouble seeing the dash because it was not adjusted properly for me. One push, and problem solved.

Moto-maineiac

I test drove one at Max BMW NH this weekend. They would only let me do it once we had a purchase and sales agreement and the test ride was the final piece to seal the deal.

Well, I am going for a test ride tomorrow on both the K1600 and the R1200Rt tomorrow.

The strange thing is our wonderful local dealer CW Motorcycles in Dorchester, makes the Demo bikes a priority over selling the first ones. He knows that he will sell more bikes in the long run by doing this.

ShooterSteve

I had offers for test rides at all the dealers in my area. I would think it's a must for dealers to offer rides to prospective buyers. I can see a small dealer being selective about it, but it should be available.

I test rode mine. It was the very first one the dealer got in. I had put a deposit down in November. They told me if I didn't love it, they would sell it to the next guy in line and give me my deposit back. After about two blocks, I was sold.

I did not have a test ride before I bought mine. In my opinion, you will not be disappointed with this bike. I was out running every twisty road I could find last weekend, and the bike was great. I have not had the opportunity to ride it in warm weather yet, but I don't think heat will be an issue.

Same story, the test ride was the ride home. Two thousand miles later I'm still grinning. I purchased the Quartz Blue, that has brought up one issue in that some cagers think it's an authority bike and slow down.

My top box is getting color matched this week and the wheels will get powder coated black at the first tire change; no I'm not copying you Pat you just beat me to the punch :wave:

My top box is getting color matched this week and the wheels will get powder coated black at the first tire change; no I'm not copying you Pat you just beat me to the punch :wave:

:clap: On the quartz blue, the black wheels just work! :thumbsup: If it wasn't for old man winter over staying his welcome i'd probably have worn down the first set also.

Pat

Blue Moon let me test ride the lone '14 bike they had at the time last month, but he knew I was there intending to buy it that day.

[quote=Big Ben

What is the cost of the powder coated wheels?
fourteenfour
I'd never buy a bike I couldn't test ride.

same here. I will allow for them to give me a trade in quote and out the door price, but I won't sign until I know I want it. Going to be talking out a Street Glide two weekends from now, seeing the improvements they made may just get me out of this brand

Guest Kakugo
I'd never buy a bike I couldn't test ride.

The only dealerships offering test rides in my general area are Yamaha and BMW. Both Honda dealers (one has since closed) haven't offered a single test ride in many years: Honda stopped the practice nationwide since a couple test riding a VFR was killed in an accident. Ducati and Triumph used to but stopped after overenthusiastic people totaled some very expensive bikes. H-D has test rides only on some selected dates and on very very few models. And both the Kawasaki and Suzuki dealers aren't really interested in selling bikes so they just don't care. :grin:

My local dealer has been good with test rides over the years, mind you I do sign a $1000 excess if anything happens. :(

I'll be taking out the demo R1200RT next week for a proper run & fingers crossed the weather cooperates and noone is waiting in line behind me...

Teddy

My local dealer has been good with test rides over the years, mind you I do sign a $1000 excess if anything happens. :(

I'll be taking out the demo R1200RT next week for a proper run & fingers crossed the weather cooperates and noone is waiting in line behind me...

Teddy

The dealer I bought my RT from handed me the keys and said have fun.

As a MAX customer, that's surprising to me that they won't have a demo RT for at least another month. If you can justify it, perhaps one of his other dealers have one you can ride.

I just put a deposit on a new bike. Max in NY said they should have a demo in a week, just waiting for BMW to authorize one. They are searching for a Ebony fully loaded for me. Hopefully soon.

Well I took the R1200RT wethead for a quick run this arvo and I knew within a few kilometres this was the bike for me, so it was back to the dealer, deposit down for a Quartz blue metallic and a few options ticked. Not that you need to tick much as the bike already comes with the comfort, touring and dynamic packages.

Should be assembled later this week or worst case scenario early next week. As for the low seat who knows maybe late April, May or maybe even June.

So it will be good-bye to the R1200RTSE which has served we well these last three and a half years.

Lets hope the new wethead will be a bundle of fun too..

Teddy

Good on ye Teddy

You only live ones. So what are you doing in regards to the top box? Getting none/keeping the old one/replacing the old one with the older (cheaper) model, or choosing the new more expensive top box?

Did you go for the auxiliary LED lights next to the cylinder heads?

Let us know.

Good on ye Teddy

You only live ones. So what are you doing in regards to the top box? Getting none/keeping the old one/replacing the old one with the older (cheaper) model, or choosing the new more expensive top box?

Let us know.

Thx Alfred,

I spent the big bucks and bought the central locking top box. The lucky new owner of my 2010 model gets the big new top box :)

Salesman reckons the auxiliary lights won't do much so talked me out of them, I'll probably grab them later though.

Weather is looking a bit grim this weekend 20-40mm forecast each day, I hope the forecast improves on that..

What I need to get sorted now is how to get rider to pillion coms, if the autocom SPA can't fit under the seat I guess I will have to try some bluetooth system but want to keep my earmold speakers which need a 3.5mm socket.

I am not keen on spending up big on the BMW helmets and their intercom system but we'll wait and see.

Teddy

Let us know.

They're ridiculously expensive. I know, that sounds funny. :grin:

Pat

Salesman reckons the auxiliary lights won't do much so talked me out of them, I'll probably grab them later though.

I have ordered them, so ones they finally arrive and I have them installed, I will let you know.

What I need to get sorted now is how to get rider to pillion coms, if the autocom SPA can't fit under the seat

From the looks, there is plenty of room under the fairing.

Just the BMW system can provide true bluetooth including the rider/pillion and bike.

I am using the Schuberth SRC system and it has trouble with pairing to the bike. It's a hit and miss..still playing with it and when it works, it's great as having radio and being able to change channel via the bike's wheel is awesome.

But from everything I read, there is no way to get the pillion/rider side going as well.

Was going to buy the BMW helmet/Comms, but at the moment BMW Australia is waiting for the EVO helmet to hit the shore and at this stage, can't even give an estimate of the cost.

They are also not sure if there is also an updated BMW Comms system, so right now I stick with the Schuberth/SRC system.

Alfred, the suggestion of under fairing stowage may me the factor upon which my purchase hinges! If any of you guys pop the fairing panels off to explore mounting space for your stuff, please take pictures. We need to know what spaces are available behind the plastic!

What BMW system and Helmet is everyone referring to? I went on Max BMW website and only see the Shubert helmets. I don't see a communication system for the helmet.

Alfred, the suggestion of under fairing stowage may me the factor upon which my purchase hinges! If any of you guys pop the fairing panels off to explore mounting space for your stuff, please take pictures. We need to know what spaces are available behind the plastic!

Morning Andy (at least over here)

I just had a quick look underneath from the front while I was washing the bike (what a prick of a job. Won't be doing that every week). There seems to be a lot of space under the front side panels that could be utilized.

Hopefully somebody will show some installation pictures soon, as I just have no reason to start pulling bits of the bike (yet).

The link provided shows a BMW EVO helmet but doesn't include pricing or show a communication system.

When I was at the dealer in CT they only had Shuberth and just assumed everyone is referring to the shuberth c3 pro with the SRC communication that works with the 2014 RT.

On webbikeworld reviews they claim Cardo makes a SHO-1 communications that fits seamlessly into the shoei neotec flip helmet. Will this setup or the Shoei and Sena work with the bike and if not what functions will I be missing? Is it only the volume from the handlebar? Will I be able to listen the the bikes radio thru the helmet and change the channels? Sorry for all the questions but I am lost when it comes to this.

To my knowledge BMW doesn’t import its helmets into the USA at this time (it’s been a while). Also to my knowledge Shuberth manufactures BMW helmets.

Shuberth has a Bluetooth system which is the only compatible system with BMW Bluetooth according to BMW

Jay

I will have to talk to the dealer but they aren't always that helpful. If anyone knows of any system/helmet combo that will work with the new RT please let me know to what extent it will work.

Also, even though I do not want to spend the money on the shuberth the reviews say the speakers are not very good and the padding in the helmet is on the thin side.

BMW Communicator. I believe it is the only one which allows full function of the gizmo wheel. Pairs with bike, nav and phone. My internet is screwy right. Go to A&S cycles. They list it as an accessory. Around $450. The Shuberth helmet is great. Fits my head perfectly. The speakers are dependent on the headset and the music source to a great degree. The helmet does not come with speakers attached.

Are you referring to the SRH communicator set built for the shuberth? Does it come with speakers for the helmet and could the speakers be changed out without cutting the wires?

I see now what you are referring to on A&S cycle site. It is a BMW communicator, not the SRC. Very expensive at $455 for one set. Does it only mount to the Shuberth or will it go on other helmets?

I see now what you are referring to on A&S cycle site. It is a BMW communicator, not the SRC. Very expensive at $455 for one set. Does it only mount to the Shuberth or will it go on other helmets?

It is only "approved" on the Schuberth/BMW helmets.

To clarify:

ONLY the BMW Communicator system is 100% compatible with the BMW motorbikes that have Bluetooth installed.

All the other systems are partially compatible. So SRC/Sena etc will work with just partial success and will definitely just have partial compatibility. In other words, some functions will work while others won't.

Other problems with the none BMW systems are "ad hog" connection, pairing issues, paired but no sound, etc, etc.

"What I need to get sorted now is how to get rider to pillion coms"Teddy

I have the Sena SMH10 (Linky here) and they work fine with the BMW Bluetooth on my 2011 RT. Sena has since added a new feature that allows passing the audio from one Bluetooth headset to another. This allows for having one Bluetooth headset paired to the motorcycle for music and allowing that audio to be passed to your passenger. And, with the right adapter, you can get a 3.5mm plug-in for your earplugs. Hope this helps...

Sorry for the second response folks, I just got caught up on the entire thread. When I bought my '11 RT I purchased the Schuberth C3 Helmet with BMW headset. Worked great. As expected. As my needs changed I wound up swapping to the Shoei Neotec and Sena SMH10. While speaker quality is a subjective thing, I found the BMW speaker to provide better audio quality. However, in the already noisy motorcycle environment, I found that it was not significantly better and if I were purchasing for the first time would have gone the Sena route. The only thing I lost with my Sena was the ability to adjust the volume with the handlebar AND that you could NOT pair two NON-BMW headsets to the BMW audio system. To get around that, at that time, required the purchase of Sena's SM10 Bluetooth adapter. I never got around to installing it so I can't speak to the effectiveness of the SM10. However, as noted above, Sena has made a Firmware upgrade to the SMH10 headsets that now allow passing audio from one headset to another that should eliminate the need for the SM10. I have not yet tried this feature, but from what I've read, it works quite well. Also, if it's not out already, Sena is coming out with a new SM20 headset that is supposed to be the next generation SMH10. You may want to check out their website for more information. Hope this helps.

I have a new 2014 R1200RT with the factory fm radio/sat radio and prepped for the Nav system. I am considering getting a Nav V system to go with it. I also have an iPhone 5.

My questions are related to BT functionality.

Do you know if the SMH10 will integrate/pair with the new model bike's and/or the Nav V's bluetooth functionalities such that I simultaneously can hear 1)the bike's audio (music), 2) the Nav system prompts, and 3) also be able to pair to the iphone so as to be able to answer (or at least be aware of) phone calls? Is the latter a direct BT connection to the phone from the SMH or Nav sytem or via the wired connection USB on the bike?

I spoke to two different parts departments at Max today and this is what they had to say.

1.Using any communications system except the BMW, only the rider can listen to stereo output from the bike, the passenger will only hear mono.(huge problem for me).

2. The volume on the handlebar will not will not control the volume in the helmet, thinks the channel could be changed from the handlebar and says the GPS should also work fine.

3. claims the audio quality of any Bluetooth is not very good above 60mph and thinks a plug-in system is far superior.

4. They only offer 10% off bmw system and Shubert at time of bike purchase.

I am still at a loss of what to use as a setup. Is the BMW system and Shubert that good? How good is the sound especially for music? Am I better off forgetting about the bikes stereo and use mp3/iphone and go with sena and shoei or other? Is there a way around receiving mono in the passenger helmet while listening to the bikes system?

J&M offers a sytem that solves all these issues but requires all sorts of wiring and add ons. Help!!!!!!!!!

how did a discussion on whether or not dealers allow test rides morph into a discussion about bluetooth kits??

up here test rides are only allowed on new bikes when they have a sponsored dealer demo days....

Archived