IGNORED

Tank Protector

Big Ben

Has anyone put one of these on their bike? I'm referring to the stick on kind. My jacket scuffed my bike the first time I rode it, and I'm looking to cover up the scuff and stop it from happening again. The problem is the scuff is on the center body panel of the tank, and I haven't been able to find anything narrow enough to fit that piece. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This is an interesting post. All you new owners, I am sorry to ask this question as I don't want to make you feel like Lab Rats, however...

Could you let us know the areas you are experiencing as scuff zones so that we can make pre-emotive strikes on our potential new steeds?

Pannier lids take a kicking.

Thanks for any reports of where you have experienced unwanted contact.

Andy

I use this stuff, from Aerostich: 14 mil headlight shield.

I have a piece about 3.5" x 6" on the "tank" cover, just ahead of the seat on my 1999 RT. It's scuffed up pretty badly, but if I want to replace it, the stuff just peels off, and I can apply a new one. It conforms reasonably well to complex curves, and I have never had a problem with adhesive residue (been using the stuff for more than a decade). It's also very effective for its advertised use, protecting very expensive headlight assemblies from stones and such.

P1090133.JPG

Has anyone put one of these on their bike? I'm referring to the stick on kind. My jacket scuffed my bike the first time I rode it, and I'm looking to cover up the scuff and stop it from happening again. The problem is the scuff is on the center body panel of the tank, and I haven't been able to find anything narrow enough to fit that piece. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here's a thought for you. If someone out there with a K1600GT or GTL would measure the width of their tank panel near the seat and then again at about 6 to 8 inches up. You could compare your awesome 2014 RT's tank panel size to those dimensions. If they are "close enough" Then look up tank protectors for a K1600GT GTL, those seem to be readily available.

Wunderlich in Watsonville Ca has them to fit most any BMW and they look like they could have come on the bike when new.

I bought a roll of 3M "floor marking tape" about 4" wide vinyl tape in semi gloss black. I use it to protect my tank there and cut a new strip about once a year.

I also used it to make my BRIGHT YELLOW MotoBatt battery black by wrapping it. Lots of uses.

It's intended use is for hospitals, warehouses, etc, to mark floors as to where different departments are. "Follow the red line on the floor" so it's very durable. When removed, it leaves little or no residue and available in a bunch of colors.

It contrasts nicely with the Boston Green.

Here's a thought for you. If someone out there with a K1600GT or GTL would measure the width of their tank panel near the seat and then again at about 6 to 8 inches up. You could compare your awesome 2014 RT's tank panel size to those dimensions. If they are "close enough" Then look up tank protectors for a K1600GT GTL, those seem to be readily available.

Thanks. I did think of this, but have not yet had the time to look into it. I'll keep you posted, as I'm sure that I'm not the only one who is going have this problem.

Snyder's Paint Guard

Cut to size, squeegee on with water, done.

Replace as needed. Works well on side cases too.

3M now makes a clear spray-on product it works too, and can be peeled off as well.

Archived