IGNORED

GS911 Alternatives

tpfeffer

I just picked up a low mileage 2013 R1200RT. It appears the GS911 is the tool of choice. Are there alternatives to let me reset the Service reminder in the RID?

I just picked up a low mileage 2013 R1200RT. It appears the GS911 is the tool of choice. Are there alternatives to let me reset the Service reminder in the RID?

Morning Tom

Yes, your BMW dealer's computer. OR, just don't re-set it. Nothing happens if not reset & after a while you won't even notice it.

• 3 weeks later...

Certain functions of the GS911 can be used across many bikes without taking up one of the available"slots".

Not certain that service minder reset is one.

If not,then maybe you could borrow a local one or look for a nearby tech day where one might be available.

JR356

The joy I got after it calibrated the stepper motors made it worth the price to me. If you are having trouble justifying the cost, just consider it part of the price of the bike. Pay the extra $50 to get the BT version. That way, you can check fault codes while on the road (unless you are always packing your laptop).

If you are still having trouble with the cost, split it with a riding buddy.

I know a guy with the professional edition which can handle an unlimited number of bikes.

He is one of those people always eager to help someone else.

He is nowhere near Omaha, tho'.

dc

Resets of the service indicator will use a VIN in the GS-911. Just reading codes for others or running most of the other functions won't.

BTW, don't be a fool and buy the junk Chinese knockoff. There is a market for the real ones used so if you have one to sell you can always find a buyer.

There are continued free updates to GS-911 software that cover BMW models for which the device is applicable plus regular beta versions of software in development that can coexist on your pc with the latest commercial release version. However, it does not cover all of BMWs latest models though there is a new device shown by Hexcode that covers them, I believe.

A feature unappreciated by most and that I use more frequently than anything except the service reset is the ability to log real time data for later analysis from all the engine sensors and safety interlocks. Very handy if you know how to read it.

Resets of the service indicator will use a VIN in the GS-911. Just reading codes for others or running most of the other functions won't.

BTW, don't be a fool and buy the junk Chinese knockoff. There is a market for the real ones used so if you have one to sell you can always find a buyer.

There are continued free updates to GS-911 software that cover BMW models for which the device is applicable plus regular beta versions of software in development that can coexist on your pc with the latest commercial release version. However, it does not cover all of BMWs latest models though there is a new device shown by Hexcode that covers them, I believe.

A feature unappreciated by most and that I use more frequently than anything except the service reset is the ability to log real time data for later analysis from all the engine sensors and safety interlocks. Very handy if you know how to read it.

Thanks,thought that might have been the case.

Was not near my GS911 manual or info when I posted earlier.

JR356

Archived