IGNORED

Slime in tires with TPM

tpfeffer

I just picked up a slightly used 2013 RT with Tire Pressure Monitoring. I have always used Slime in tires for puncture protection.

Does any know if the Slime will interfere with the TPM sensor in the rim?

Morning Tom

From Slime's website---

•Is Slime TPMS safe?

Yes, Slime makes a TPMS safe formula for cars and trucks with Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS). Look for the yellow bottle and the TPMS Safe icon. Many of Slime’s Spair kits also feature TPMS Safe Sealant. If your vehicle has TPMS, try the Smart Spair or Safety Spair from Slime.

Personally, I have seen Slime screw up a precision electronic tire pressure gauge so it isn't totally problem free.

Guest Kakugo

The problem is the sealant contained in the popular Slime motorcycle repair kit is not TPMS safe, or at least it doesn't carry Slime's yellow label of approval.

It may work, it may not work, but the end effect is probably what DR said.

The "Yellow Label" (TPMS safe) Slime sealant has been introduced only recently and, so far, I've seen very very few shops carrying it. It also appears to have received mixed reviews. Apparently it still kills a fair number of TPMS it's used on, so it's probably best to still use one of those old fashioned tyre plugs after all... ;)

have you considered this as an alternative?

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

We tried it in one of fleet bikes that was constantly running over stuff when we installed a new tire on it, but it wore out without any punctures so we were never really able to test it. However when we did pull the tire it was lining the inside of the tire as its supposed to, which made it very easy to change the tire compared to slime which just leaks out everywhere when removing the tire. While I cant claim it worked 100% since we couldn't test it I would definitely try it again as it does look like it would function to seal punctures.

And to answer your original question it is 100% TPMS safe as it sticks to the inside of the tire and would not actually contact the TPMS sensor itself unlike slime.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived