IGNORED

Chrome Exhaust

bmwdavid

I am looking at a 2013 1200RT but it does not have the chrome exhaust option. If it doesn't have the chrome exhaust then what does it have? Do the chrome exhaust blue less than the non chrome exhaust?

Evening David

There were basically 2 options.

Stainless steel (base) & chrome plated stainless steel (uplevel).

The chrome plated basically turns a bluish purple & the stainless steel usually turns $hit brown.

The chrome is a little easier to keep looking nice but once it gets bad it stays bad as there really isn't much that can be done to resurrect bad or pitted chrome.

The base stainless steel can usually be sanded then buffed out & restored to somewhat new looking.

Personally I try to buy the base stainless as it actually holds up better for me than the shiny chrome as I'm not a buff & polish type person & do ride some snotty roads.

BTW, the mufflers are the same on both options.

Thanks for the info. I was disappointed that the new bike didn't have the chrome pipes but it sounds like the base stainless may be the better way to go.

interleisure

on the 2013 RT and on all standard RTs the down pipes and cat are stainless steel, the standard muffler is matt stainless steel (which is what I have) there is an option (standard on SE model) for a chrome muffler (which my friend has). they both look good just depends on personal choice.

Does one or the other blue differently than the other. I notice some of the newer rt's have bright blue pipes and others are more brownish.

Moring David

Yes,the chrome usually turns a bluish purple while the plain stainless usually turns a dull brown.

I recall my older oilhead bikes' headers getting down right ugly enough that I sent them away for ceramic coating. On my 2013, they are a nice blue, gold, silver up to this point and I was waiting to see if they would get nasty. Glad to here there is something different going on.

If the header pipe is chrome then most likely the muffler is chrome. I think they come as a set. I have a 2010 all stainless and my brother has a 2013 all chrome.

HTH,

tsp

My MC Blog: www.airheadmoto.com

The muffler is always chrome. As far as the chrome option on the header, it's a ruse. Chrome always sounds good, but it doesn't last for sh*#t. Had it on my '08 RT , & it was junk within the first year.. It was part of the upgraded package, so I couldn't opt out. Germans do a lot of things really well, but chrome ain't one of them.

The muffler is always chrome.

Except when it is stainless steel. Polished, but still stainless. The appearance difference is easily noticed when compared side by side. And a magnet will not stick to it.

Also the part numbers are different for stainless vs chrome.

duckbubbles

As far as I can determine, my '11 RT has a chrome header (it's turned blue/purple/gold) and the muffler is a satin finish. All these parts are original as far as I know.

Frank

Check your paper work. What you have doesn't make sense.

tsp

My MC Blog

As far as I can determine, my '11 RT has a chrome header (it's turned blue/purple/gold) and the muffler is a satin finish. All these parts are original as far as I know.

Frank

duckbubbles
What you have doesn't make sense.
Yeah, it seems I should have a chrome muffler. I bought the bike used so it doesn't bother me too much. I know the previous owner traded seats with another guy so maybe he traded mufflers as well.

Frank

Archived