IGNORED

Leaky Rear ESA Shock at 11,500 miles

Paul JK.

Anyone else have this issue? Mine is a 2010 R1200RT. BMW was willing to give a $700 credit to its replacement which would be around $2700. I was able to get a new Wilbur shock, using the servo motors off of the leaky shock, with a new spring for considerably less. Works Performance also offers this option. Just curious if this is a problem with ESA II's in general or am I just the lucky one.

Thanks.

The dealer in Omaha told me he has 3 late model RT's in the shop with leaking rear shocks. He attributed the failure to trailering the bikes with the rear cinched down too tight that when jarred by the trailer hitting a bump causes the shock to bottom out and be damaged.

He also said the fix was about $2500. He knows where they can be sent for rebuilding for about $800.

The dealer is assuming all three bikes were trailered?

A number of ESA bikes had/have leaking shocks. Unfortunate. I don't know if anyone has the real answer why, if they do, they ain't talking.

I read that you already bought the Wilber's so little late, but for other leaking shock owners, Lindemann Engineering in Redlands Ca can rebuild for much less than 800.00 retail.

A phone call should be made to double check.

Ted Porter rebuilt my rear shock for something like $675, new rebuildable Wiburs shock included. Lindemann Engineering is a great shock rebuilder but the BMW shock is not made to be rebuilt is my understanding. My bike was leaking before it was trailered to the shop but that is a common cause for front ends with telescoping forks to blow their seals if cinched down too hard.

Archived