IGNORED

Help, why should I stay

r50chopper

I'm looking for rational/irrational reasons why I should/shouldn't swap my 99R11RT (11K miles) for a 04 KGT I'm lusting after, the POWER of the dark side calls....

Anybody made the swap and is pleased/unhappy... confused.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Cause you should wait and get the new K1200Gt w/ the K1200s motor? grin.gif

That's the most logical reason I could think of.

1. Better wind protection.

2. Better support for the do it yourselfer. e.g., There is no aftermarket manual available for the K12

3. Simpler, easier to work on, and I think more reliable.

4. lighter bike with some handling characteristis that some people prefer.

5. Lower RPMs means more relaxing ride for me.

6. Better tire mileage.

Or do like I did and get one of each.

--Jerry

I'm looking for rational/irrational reasons why I should/shouldn't swap my 99R11RT (11K miles) for a 04 KGT I'm lusting after, the POWER of the dark side calls....

The RT is already paid for grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Keep the RT! It's 7 years old with 11k! No need to spend the coin if you don't ride much confused.gif

Keep the RT! It's 7 years old with 11k! No need to spend the coin if you don't ride much

Think of all the $$ you'll save on re-charging batteries and flat spots on tires! wink.gif

Go for it.

If you have the money for the new GT, wait, but there's probably $$$$ difference in cost.

The "old" GT is a blast.

If you're putting low mileage on a bike, hmmmm,

maybe you don't like to ride it. dopeslap.gif

If you're putting low mileage on it due to available time to ride, well, your cost of maint. won't change that much and you'll have a smoother, more powerful ride.

My pillion loves the GT better than the boxer. thumbsup.gif

Don't listen to the pansies riding the RT's. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Go for it.

Tallman, my isn't it strange that one can soon forget from whence he came and now you want to call us RT riders pansies. If my mind wonders like yours I don't think I would even want to get on it must less follow it. Sometime one need to put his brain in gear before he does his tongue. grin.gif

Made the "swap" (actually an add), so I can speak with a little knowledge. Make sure that you like the ergos of the K-GT before you switch. Bottom line is that I was immediately comfortable on my RT-P from the moment I test rode it. And I was immediately impressed with the power and smoothness of my K-GT when I bought it. Ergos were different, but I would get used to them, right?

Well last weekend I went down to a local dealer to look at two used R-RT's they had. I just never got totally comfortable on the K-GT. Was most likely a combination of things: My physical size, my age and my riding style all came into play. I loved the K-GT for its engineering and its appearance. But I am more used to riding my RT, as I commute on it every day, and I just like that riding position better. Even with barbacks on the GT I could never get as comfortable on it.

So I came home last Saturday, after trading in the K-GT, on a K-LT. Much the same riding position as the R-RT, but with the smoothness of the K engine. And that beast actually feels more tossable than my GT!

So the K-GT's are truly incredible bikes - For the right body form and riding style. Make sure that you fit those categories before you buy, so you don't end up taking a bath like me!

Tom

Archived