IGNORED

Low seat availability?

Teddy

I was talking with my local Australian dealer this arvo (or rather he rung me) and seeing as I am only 1.7m or around 5ft7in and shortish legs I really would prefer to take delivery of a new 2014RT with the low seat.

Now he reckons the BMW factory in Germany has not even started production of the low seats yet, surely this can't be right?

There will be > 1 month probably more before it becomes available & it seems other accessories are in short supply as well, a member here reckons there is a delay on engine guards and auxiliary lights.

Now if that is the case BMW Aus did not anticipate demand for such products especially as they have lowered the bike 20mm overall or so I have read and they think this is enough?

Basically I have two options factory order (3 month delay) OR

wear my raised boots and persevere with the standard seat and take delivery soonish and swap the seat over when the low seat becomes available?

& this is assuming I can adjust the gear lever up so I can actually change gear with the thicker boots?

Has anybody on this forum or any where else know if anyone has got the low seat yet or otherwise?

Hope to hear from someone,

Teddy

Teddy, your dealer may be correct. I purchased my bike with, Nav V, deluxe top case, tank bag, cylinder guards and auxiliary lights all is in except for the cylinder guards and few missing parts for the auxiliary lights the key ones are the brackets and on/off switch mount specify for the RT.

I don’t understand why BMW would offer products then not produce them. I have my bike about 6 weeks now. Not good!

Jay

Norm LeFevre

I'm taking delivery of an RT tomorrow. I've ordered a low seat, and I understand they're backordered in the US. There was, however, another RT that was delivered last week that did have the low seat. It makes a difference. I'm also 5'7" and the low seat will make me feel more planted.

i would tend to suspect that it is a case of it being available as a factory installed option when the bike is being built, but possibly not yet available as an accessory part...

i'm about 5'10"-5'11" and i found the 2014 standard seat on the low setting was fine for me with my 32" inseam... noticebly lower than the standard seat on low setting of my 2013....

ShooterSteve

I also wanted a low seat but was told it would be a long wait. I can ride with the standard seat but I'm trying to work a deal to get the low seat swapped out with mine when they come in.

I'm taking delivery of an RT tomorrow. I've ordered a low seat, and I understand they're backordered in the US. There was, however, another RT that was delivered last week that did have the low seat. It makes a difference. I'm also 5'7" and the low seat will make me feel more planted.

I called another dealer & we are talking a two week wait on one now ex BMW Melbourne so it looks like they are out there just with small numbers so far.

As soon as I can get the deal finalised I will be getting one with the low seat installed. I don't want to mess with buying the standard seat & then paying for a low seat and trying to sell the standard seat at a big loss.

Teddy

Moto-maineiac
I also wanted a low seat but was told it would be a long wait. I can ride with the standard seat but I'm trying to work a deal to get the low seat swapped out with mine when they come in.

Was there a cost for the low seat?

BMW's website has a downloadable brochure that has a printed statement, "Seats in different heights. Optionally available at no charge". I've always assumed that meant no charge.

On two occasions before taking delivery of the bike I informed my salesman that I would need the high seat. He acknowledged that and after handing over my check to purchase the bike, he informs me that they'll do me a favor and only charge me the dealer cost of $279. He never mentioned during any of our discussions or negotiations that I would incur an extra charge for the high seat.

I asked to speak to the General Manager to see what the story was but he was busy with other customers. I said I would wait and the salesman was kind enough to tell me the GM wasn't going to tell me anything different. I asked if the GM was aware I was going to walk out the door over this last-minute surprise and he said "yes". I grabbed my check and walked away from the deal.

So my question is, have others had to pay for the optional high or low seats? This is the first I've ever heard of it - when taking delivery of a new bike. I know that if I came back two weeks from now and wanted the high seat I'd have to pay.

Was there a cost for the low seat?

BMW's website has a downloadable brochure that has a printed statement, "Seats in different heights. Optionally available at no charge". I've always assumed that meant no charge.

On two occasions before taking delivery of the bike I informed my salesman that I would need the high seat. He acknowledged that and after handing over my check to purchase the bike, he informs me that they'll do me a favor and only charge me the dealer cost of $279. He never mentioned during any of our discussions or negotiations that I would incur an extra charge for the high seat.

I asked to speak to the General Manager to see what the story was but he was busy with other customers. I said I would wait and the salesman was kind enough to tell me the GM wasn't going to tell me anything different. I asked if the GM was aware I was going to walk out the door over this last-minute surprise and he said "yes". I grabbed my check and walked away from the deal.

So my question is, have others had to pay for the optional high or low seats? This is the first I've ever heard of it - when taking delivery of a new bike. I know that if I came back two weeks from now and wanted the high seat I'd have to pay.

Time to call BMW and inform them of this dealer and whatever your equivalent of consumer affairs you have.

There is "NO" extra charge for choosing other then the standard seat (as in high or low option) during the original purchase/order.

Sounds like you have a really shotty dealer there.

I get the impression that it is a no cost option but only when it is a factory order i.e. you have to wait three months to get your new BMW. I am told here that the low seat is an $800+ extra...

It's pretty disappointing that if I want to purchase sooner & if the low seats get in stock I have to pay for it... I am thinking of delaying my purchase because of it which will give me a chance to consider other makes...

Teddy

Norm LeFevre

I took delivery last week, and ordered the low seat. I'll get it for dealer cost, and I wanted to keep the stock seat as well. There might be some times that the higher seat would be more comfortable on longer rides.

Raining and cold here, so I only have my shop --> home miles so far, but it rides like a dream.

I'm going to go ahead and commute on it this week.

Smiles all around!

ShooterSteve

Yes, the optional seats are no-cost if the bike comes with it from the factory. From what I can see, most dealers don't order the bikes that way unless a customer orders a bike to their own specs and waits the three months for delivery.

Good Day,

I ordered the high seat and I get my 14 RT on Thursday. The dealership in Ottawa has not mentioned anything about the high seat being unavailable so I assume it's on the bike now. There was no extra charge for the seat but I paid full price for the bike and I understand that it's about 3000.00 more than the price in the US.

I ordered a high seat yesterday. The guy at the dealer told me it would be here in 1-3 days. That would indicate that the seats are available. We shall see.

Well full retail here in Aus is about AU$32,500 rideaway or about US$30,000! The bikes do come with a lot of options though as standard but still a lot more expensive than some other countries.

My options list quickly adds AU$5K - AU$6K to that price though.

Are we being fleeced by BMW probably but the choice is take it or leave it?

Anyway...

One dealer is quoting me $800+ for the low seat ready to go next week. Another is quoting me $700 + not sure when he can get one, last info he had was the factory was still making them, expect > 1 month before he sees one.

Of course I can order ex factory and take delivery mid-winter & Yes Canberra unlike most of Aus does get a cold winter with many days below freezing with foggy starts. Not much fun for riding in, of course I could wait 5 months till spring starts :(

Teddy

My understanding is that it's the individual Importer's choice per country what they order from the factory. BMW Australia, chose to order fully loaded with standard seats only.

Like the majority of new products, accessories/add-ons and anything from standard are not yet available and might be weeks/months out.

Did you make sure that the seats quoted were for the "heated" seats?

Like the majority of new products, accessories/add-ons and anything from standard are not yet available and might be weeks/months out.

Did you make sure that the seats quoted were for the "heated" seats?

I don't think we have a choice at $700-$800 one would hope they are heated!

I hope you are wrong on availability of accessories/add-ons etc....

I may have another chat today with the dealer..

Teddy

ShooterSteve

The 2014 Price list is available in PDF form from the website.

Low Rider Seat Heated MSRP is $367.95 US$

High seat is the same price. Unheated is about $40 less.

• 2 months later...

Well I go the call yesterday that the low seat I ordered back in April has finally made its way to Canberra. So I picked it up this afternoon and installed it. Of course I cannot ride the bike but I could sit on the machine in a static position. Time will tell if I am comfortable on it as it does look quite a thin section of dense foam.

Of course it means I am lower to the ground and of course that is a good thing when you are a short-arse like me.

Cheers Teddy

Well, you got your seat so stop complaining...LOL

Have you got your LHS switch assembly replaced?

Happy as a pig in mud LOL, LHS switch assembly, well you can't rush these things can you? They have the part it will be swapped over same time as the rear suspension and who knows when that will be?

Your guess will be as good as mine.

Teddy

Norm LeFevre

Well, here's a funny question for the low-seat guys.

I put the seat on last night, and it seemed to click into place OK, but when I looked at the bike this morning there was a gap of about 3/4" between the rear portion of the tank and the leading edge of the seat. You can see a screw that holds the tank in place.

I thought I'd check with you guys to see if I just put the seat on incorrectly, or if there really is such a large gap with the low seat.

Look at the front plate where the front of the seat is hooked in.

See if it is in the "high" position.

If you see H on the plate then flip it over.

I put the seat on last night, and it seemed to click into place OK, but when I looked at the bike this morning there was a gap of about 3/4" between the rear portion of the tank and the leading edge of the seat. You can see a screw that holds the tank in place.

I thought I'd check with you guys to see if I just put the seat on incorrectly, or if there really is such a large gap with the low seat.

I'll let you know later, it's early here.

Teddy

Had a good look today, I have my seat in the "L" position you know the reversible bracket they fit at the front of the seat near the tank. When you put the low seat on correctly there is a tiny gap between the seat and the tank, it fits very neatly,

I can email you some piccies if you want, not sure how to post here...

Teddy

mountainmann

Any ride reports on the 2014 RT low seat? My dealer has RTs in stock with both the standard and low seats. The low seat is much more comfortable for a 30" inseam, but the seat is very hard (thin layer of foam). Can't take an RT for a test ride now, but can set on it in the show room.

Like most people I imagine we have had the low seats come in stock after the recall, but yes it looks like a good height for those who have short legs but looks like a thin layer of hard foam.

Time will tell how good it really is on those long distance days.

Teddy

Norm LeFevre

Just had surgery on my right elbow - torn/detached bicep muscle, so no riding. I thought I might as well do this during the down time. Anyway, the seat makes a huge difference is foot placement and my bench riding seems like it will be pretty firm. I remember my Russell seat, in leather, was firm also. I'm looking forward to sitting on it while the bike's actually moving ;-).

Archived