IGNORED

GPS/iPhone mount

mickeym3

Rarely need GPS but when I do the iPhone / Google map solution works by relying on voice turn by turn over the intercom. Seeing the map on my phone would be handy though and started looking for an easy way to mount it to the stock GPS cover plate below the dash. Found zip and the cleanest looking mount I found is the BikePenR setup (see link). They already have a 2014 RT mount but this pic is representative. Anyone find anything better?

http://www.bikepenr.nl/res/GPSBMW/k1600gt21.jpg

You could use a Ram mount Brake/Clutch Assembly Mount with 1 Inch Ball RAM-B-309-1U,they have nice holders for phones

Jay

ShooterSteve

I too thought about not going with the Nav 5 GPS. The iPhone and Google Maps is a good alternative, but on a bike I feel a dedicated GPS is just a bit better for readability and controllability while riding. If I were to go without the GPS, I would find a way to mount the phone right on top of the GPS mount. Maybe use a Otter Case belt clip permanently mounted where the GPS mount is?

I too thought about not going with the Nav 5 GPS. The iPhone and Google Maps is a good alternative, but on a bike I feel a dedicated GPS is just a bit better for readability and controllability while riding. If I were to go without the GPS, I would find a way to mount the phone right on top of the GPS mount. Maybe use a Otter Case belt clip permanently mounted where the GPS mount is?

I posted a pic of the NAV cover plate on the Tank Bag thread here in the Wethead section. I'm going to count an Otter Box directly to that cover for the few times I"ll need a GPS, other farkles have priority over an $800 GPS right now. I like the finished look of the BikePenR setup but I'm holding that option for when I put a Valentine on.

Archived