IGNORED

Engine Shutdown while riding

gjnockie

Had a very unnerving experience today. While riding at 50 mph and coming up to a traffic light I was down shifting to stop and suddenly the engine just shut down... just plain quit! I rolled to a stop in the middle of the road, waited a few seconds, hit the starter and she fired right up and I continued on my journey. Luckily there was nobody behind me! smile.gif

Anyone else have this kind of experience on an RT 1200RT??

2005 R 1200RT

745 miles

Gjnockie

Something very similar to that happened to me once. I mentioned it to the service manager at the dealer when I took the bike in for the first service. At the same time I talked about a couple hard starts I'd had as well. He said basically these engines can be a little quirky in the first couple thousand miles and it may do some things that he wouldn't be able to explain. He also said, and I don't know if this is the case for you, that the break-in oil might add to the oddities. He did say I should expect the engine to get smoother and less quirky over time. Since my couple odd moments I've doubled the miles on the bike and had the first service and I can really notice it smoothing out and becoming much more predictable.

I'm not sure how the R12RT side stand is oriented regarding the shifter, but on the R1150RT, it was between the shifter and the foot peg.

Every now and then, if I wasn't paying attention, I would accidently press on the sidestand while downshifting killing the engine.

Its happened to me twice - once in France and once over here. Both times when travelling slowly or slowing down. Its almost as if it had missed picking up the idle except that the 2nd time I'm convinced I was in gear with the clutch engaged when it happened. Can't remember the precise mileages but it something like 4000 and 6000. Hasn't happenened since and it has also since had the latest software update which has changed the fuelling.

So its wait and see time!

Paul

Paul... When it happened to my bike today I was definitely in gear! It just shut off, no missing, stuttering and completely without warning. This is the best bike I have ever owned but it does some really strange things sometimes.

Thank you all for the interesting comments so far.

Gjnockie

R 1200RT

745 miles

My experience exactly - no warning but started up immediately the button was pressed. The dealer checked for fault codes but none reported. These intermittent things are the devil to find of course.

Still, it added some excitement to an otherwise boring commute for me! smile.gif I'm hoping the latest software update will have sorted it (even if accidentally).

I'll let you know if it happens again.

Paul

Had a very unnerving experience today. While riding at 50 mph and coming up to a traffic light I was down shifting to stop and suddenly the engine just shut down... just plain quit! I rolled to a stop in the middle of the road, waited a few seconds, hit the starter and she fired right up and I continued on my journey. Luckily there was nobody behind me! smile.gif

Anyone else have this kind of experience on an RT 1200RT??

2005 R 1200RT

745 miles

Gjnockie

Not on a R1200RT, but my first R1150RT did this once when it was fairly new. I can't remember if it was before or after the 600, but I think it was after. In my case I was not slowing for a light, but had just entered a 50 and had slowed from 60 or so. I got the dealer to check it out and he found nothing. The bike never did it again up till I traded it with 25K miles on.

One thing, I checked for fuel by opening the tank, it is possible that something had blocked off the vent but I doubt it.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Had it happen a couple of months ago. Riding 2 up and forgot to reset the headlight adjuster. An oncoming car flashed it's lights at me and I flashed back - the bike shut down completely - no lights - no instruments - no power brakes - no nothin'. Coasted over to the curb, put it in neutral and it started up as if nothing had happened. Hasn't happened since, but I am happy it didn't happen in the middle of the freeway. confused.gif

He said basically these engines can be a little quirky in the first couple thousand miles and it may do some things that he wouldn't be able to explain. He also said, and I don't know if this is the case for you, that the break-in oil might add to the oddities.

Cutting out like this is not "quirky", and there is no mechanism that would cause it in the first few thousand miles, as some kind of breakin phenomenon.

And for SURE, breakin oil is NOT going to cause a motor to quit running! Well, unless it all leaks out.

Bob.

A few years ago it happened to me on my RT. I'd been running along on the interstate, took my exit rather quickly, fast off the throttle and the engine died. Since I'd taken to heart a post on this board that recommended that rather than down shifting to slow the bike to use the brakes (as brake pads are much cheaper than clutch plates)I didn't notice the bike had died until I reached the end of the exit ramp and tried to roll through the yield sign as no one was coming. The bike fired right back up without a hiccup and it never happened again in sixty thousand miles. I decided that the motronic brain was trying to do it's job, and when I abruptly got off the throttle it must have thought I'd gone over a cliff, so it shut off the gas so I wouldn't burst into flames at the bottom! smile.gif

I just blip the throttle a few times now as I exit after running at speed and it hasn't happened again. The reason for the throttle blip is at least I can tell it's died if it happens again. Of course, with the GS stuff like this never happens........ dopeslap.gif

Mike

Archived