IGNORED

Mounting new brake rotors to a 2012 RT front wheel

Doug_Baliko

Doug_Baliko

I just bought a used front wheel off of a '06 to use as a spare for my '12. One if the rotors was a little iffy and may not have been mounted properly so I ordered a new set of Brembo front rotors. I have a couple of questions before mounting.

1. Are there any differences to mounting a rotor for a '12 vs. an '06? Different spacers?Etc? The discs came with brand new fittings but not very clear instructions on which fittings to use and in what order. Italians....... Which leads me to my next question.....

2. Are there clear step by step instructions somewhere on how to do this?

3. Can I reuse the mounting screws or am I better off buying a new set?

Help appreciated. Thank you.

Doug

Guest Kakugo

Yeah, those Italians aren't very good with instructions... those on my Braking rotors drove me nuts.

If you can describe how your Brembo rotors are (supposed to be) mounted perhaps I can scan and send you the instructions Braking sent me after I contacted them... they are much clearer than those the rotors came with.

As per bolts: use a heat gun to melt the thread locking compound (80-100° should do it and not ruin the paint), clean them thoroughly, apply a good thread locking compound and you are good to go.

Afternoon Doug

Might be a difference & might be the same (depends).

SO-- look at your 06 wheel & see if the ABS tone ring is the same or different.

If an early 06 then the some of the parts are different & some are the same BUT there were some updates to the 06 parts due to a lot of brake judder problems in the 05/06 era INCLUDING a lot of poorly machined wheels in the brake rotor mounting area.

Personally, IF I bought a used 06 wheel I would (first) spindle it up & run a dial indicator on the brake rotor mounting bosses to see if they are all even in height.

If Ok there then I would use the latest brake rotor mounting parts available.

If the tone ring is different (I'm betting it is) then you will also need that (or just wait until you need "that" wheel & transfer all your current parts over.

Doug_Baliko

Thanks. I guess the first step is to strip the old rotors off and take a look at what I have and check out the sensor ring. I'll also order a set of new mounting screws.

Doug

Doug_Baliko

Ok. Old rotors are now off. As DR thought the sensor ring was the older 100 tooth variety, so I found a slightly used 48 tooth ring on eBay that I will have in my hands tomorrow.

There were 2 very thin black washers that came off with each mounting bolt. One just over the bolt holes holes against the wheel and one on the underside of the crinkle washer against the brake rotor. The Brembo instructions do not have me using these washers. I looked on the BMW maintenance DVD and the instructions for pre-2010 RT's use these washers and for 2010+ do not. So I'm assuming that since my bike is a '12 I do not use them? Just for information the part number for the wheel on pre-2010 and 2010 + is the same.

Doug

Afternoon Doug

That is a difficult thing to answer without having the parts in front of me here. (even then, when using aftermarket rotors I'm not sure what to tell you)

There was a BMW 1200RT brake rotor change in about Aug of 2012 & there were update KITS offered for the hexhead era front brake rotor mounting to help eliminate brake judder issues. (those washers were part of that kit)

Depending on your 2012 Bike's build date & the front rotor used I would imagine your OEM front rotors are mounted slightly differently than the rotors were mounted on that older wheel/rotor package.

About all I can offer you is to call Brembo & talk to them about how to mount THEIR brake rotors on your 2006/2012 front wheel. They might still be using the older isolation kits parts or maybe they have something else in mind for the pre/post (mid ) 2012 usage.

Archived