IGNORED

My 2014 R1200RT Review

HammerheadNC

HammerheadNC

I bought the Callisto Metallic Matte. I went into the dealer just looking and saw the matte and fell in love. I purchased a 2012 RT last April and when I test rode the 14 it was night and day and love at first ride. I pondered the purchase for 2 days as I am still trying to sell my 2011 Road Glide (since I bought the 2012 RT last April) but when I went back to the dealer the deal was done.

I love the shift assist, a little jerky going to 2nd and 3rd so I just use it for 4th thru 6th and for all downshifts it works great. Even with the clutch the slipper works perfect and you only have to pull the clutch lever in slightly.

It has the Conti Attack 2 GT tires and these really grip and corner well. I had Michelin Pilot Road 3 on my 2012 RT and this bike handles so much better. The seat height is lower, stock saddle was satisfactory in comfort however I did recently put a set of bead riders on and it is excellent now. Lighting is great, I did opt for the loaded top box and added the LED brake light for better rear visibility.

I am fast approaching 2000 miles and haven't used a drop of oil that I can tell. Averaging about 47 MPG and I am NOT riding it slow so I imagine it would easily get into the 50's. It is amazing how fast this bike gets to triple digits!! I remember on my test ride thinking how fast it was and when I got right back on my 2012 after the test ride it actually felt heavy and sluggish!

All in all I am in love with this bike and hope to be able to push it past the 100,000 mile mark!

Would be happy to answer any questions - just ask :)

Nice report. However the handling is due to the frame and not the tires. I opted for p4s when new. My 2013 had p3s. This bike completely out handles the old configuration.

Great report, its nice to see some miles getting put of the new RT's and hear what people are saying. Do you have a good understanding of the "Dynamic ESA" yet. I understand the ESA, I'm trying to understand the "Dynamic" part of the ESA on my 14 RT.

The manual says "Electronic suspension adjustment with dynamic ESA OE Adjustment options Using the Dynamic ESA electronic suspension adjustment system you can easily adjust your motorcycle to the load being carried. Using leveling sensors, Dynamic ESA detects movements of the running gear and responds to them by adjusting the damper valves. As a result, the running gear is adjusted to the conditions of the ground."

Does this mean that regardless of the ESA mode. Let's say I'm in 1 up and normal for my ESA settings, the "Dynamic" part is that within some range of the settings that I'm in, the Bike is "reading" the conditions of the ground and making adjustments on the fly. I'm trying to understand the difference between the regular ESA vs. Dynamic ESA - is there a difference.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.....

Great report, its nice to see some miles getting put of the new RT's and hear what people are saying. Do you have a good understanding of the "Dynamic ESA" yet. I understand the ESA, I'm trying to understand the "Dynamic" part of the ESA on my 14 RT.

The manual says "Electronic suspension adjustment with dynamic ESA OE Adjustment options Using the Dynamic ESA electronic suspension adjustment system you can easily adjust your motorcycle to the load being carried. Using leveling sensors, Dynamic ESA detects movements of the running gear and responds to them by adjusting the damper valves. As a result, the running gear is adjusted to the conditions of the ground."

Does this mean that regardless of the ESA mode. Let's say I'm in 1 up and normal for my ESA settings, the "Dynamic" part is that within some range of the settings that I'm in, the Bike is "reading" the conditions of the ground and making adjustments on the fly. I'm trying to understand the difference between the regular ESA vs. Dynamic ESA - is there a difference.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.....

Yes, no matter which mode you are in the ESA responds to sensors and adjusts accordingly. That real-time response is what makes it "dynamic".

Another plug for Callisto Grey, I was "innocently" getting my 12K service done in Greenville and the deal was too tempting to pass on. They had kindly offered a GSW test ride last year and I fell in love with the engine....and the RT just changed the whole sport touring game.

070b143a78dc6351e7116207c81a1719.jpg

Another plug for Callisto Grey, I was "innocently" getting my 12K service done in Greenville and the deal was too tempting to pass on. They had kindly offered a GSW test ride last year and I fell in love with the engine....and the RT just changed the whole sport touring game.

070b143a78dc6351e7116207c81a1719.jpg

Awesome man! It is fun isn't it? :D

i just bought a 2013 last summer... is it really that much better a bike?? i really like the cockpit of the new RT but the reason i chose to get a 2013 and not a 2014 was i figured i was safer getting the last year of a "proven" model than beta testing the new model... i almost bought the Triumph Trophy in 2013 as it was a new model... thank god i didnt, as it has been plagued with problems....

i figured i was safer getting the last year of a "proven" model than beta testing the new model... ..

The liquid cooled GS has been around a while now and problem free.

i almost bought the Triumph Trophy in 2013 as it was a new model... thank god i didnt, as it has been plagued with problems....

Well, I don't personally like the trophy, but in it's defense, what are these plague of problems you talk of?

We all have our own way to justify what we do… But the fact is the Water Boxer has been out for a while, the GS has been in the USA for some time now, much long in Europe. To date it’s been a solid product. The finale drive has also been good. I have a 02 RT want to talk about finale drives (mine never failed but that is because I saved it and got it done right, thank you Tom Cutter)? The shaft too has been holding up well, talk to some of the GS Hexheads guys, I know one that travels with a spare. I know a couple guys that have final drives boxed up and ready to drop in postage.

My WetHead hasn’t burned a drop of oil that I can tell, WOW!

Is the new RT proven, no but it sure seems to have promises.

Jay

Gee, where do I start ? I had a deposit on one but lots of the guys who got theirs early in the US complained about multiple fork seal leak issues, then people started having wiring harness issues and multiple complaints of battery problems... By then I was nervous... Then Triumph issued a complete gas tank recall on all units as they tended to leak! By then I switched my deposit to the RT... Then came the ECM recall as some bikes were powering down in mid-flight....Then the notice went out to have the stands modified as some bikes were falling over.... Now I understand all UK bikes are having the heads redone at the factory in Hinckley...

This is all over and above the software issues and sticking windscreens complained of which I could have lived with....

Here is my two cents:

I traded in a 2009 RT for the 2014 a few weeks ago and have just over 800 miles on it so far. The differences I have noticed include:

Much less affected by wind. (It has been blowing here in CO quite a bit lately)

Throttle response is amazing.

More power.

Smoother shifting.

Access panels are nice vs having to remove fairings.

Feels more stable in all riding conditions.

Rider position feels better. (I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam)

Lighting is better; especially the high beam.

I have only used the hill assist once but it was nice.

I am still learning the shift assist but can at least get approx 70% of my shifting done smoothly without the clutch.

I am much more comfortable riding in the cold weather. Wind deflection for the rider is better.

Things I miss about my 2009:

7.1 gallon fuel tank.

The ability to attach a tank bag without straps.

I was used to the paddle turn signals.

I had already decked it out with accessories.

The only thing I really don't like about the 2014 so far is the ugly temp tag I still have...

I agree on most counts less two. With my 34 inch inseem the seeing position is cramped, a Russell Day Long will solve that. IMO the overall weather protection of the prior models was better in wet weather. When the temps increase later this year however, maybe, the new bike should be more comfortable.

I can see that if I wasn't vertically challenged I would be a bit cramped in the seating position. I guess being short does have it's advantages. I haven't ridden in the rain yet so cannot speak to that one. I do pack good rain gear though.

So, are you thinking a different windscreen would help?

I haven't tried aftermarket seats. I did have Bitchin Stitchin in Denver modify my stock seat on the 09 RT which worked very well.

i understand that while they lowered the overall profile of the bike they now offer three seat options which actually get it both lower and higher than the previous model...

low seat 760-780 mm

standard seat 805-825 mm

high seat 830-850 mm

the standard seat is lower than the previous version standard seat, but with these seat options you have almnost 100 mm of height to play with...

So, are you thinking a different windscreen would help?

I think the overall fairing shape was more effective in keeping the rain off. My prior ride had a Cal-Sci windscreen that I liked very much. The stock windscreen on the 2014 is surprisingly good at eliminating turbulence around the head and shoulders while minimizing back pressure. The movement of the mirrors has resulted in the hands having more direct air flow on them. Again, when it gets got later this year I think these "shortcomings" will be a blessing.

Hey, I went for the Callista Grey Matt as well. It's really growing on me. And, I'll tell you what sealed the deal on the color. I took my wife back to look at the choice, Blue or Callista Grey. Her opinion: The blue says, "Parkway," but the Gray says, "Autobahn." That did it for me.

And, I'm thrilled with the new RT.

Happy trails!

Hey, I went for the Callisto Metallic (Grey/Green) Matt as well. It's really growing on me. And, I'll tell you what "sealed the deal" on the color. I took my wife back to look at the choice, Blue or Callisto Metallic (Grey/Green) Matte. Her opinion: The blue says, "Parkway," but the Callisto Matte says, "Autobahn." That did it for me.

And, I'm thrilled with the new RT.

Happy trails!

Archived