IGNORED

New 2013 RT or New 2014 RT?

trout man

Decisions Decisions

Been dreaming about owning a twin Beamer for years. My last bike that I sold around 10 years ago was an ST 1100. Though it was a super bike even when I owned it really liked the BMW twins and all that great history. Well the time has come and I have the funds for a new RT. Not sure if I should buy a new 2014 or go with a new 2013. The 2013 Rt with a tank bag, largest tail bag and the plastic engine covers for 20,700.00 plus tax or should I go with the 2014 Rt with no deals. My ST was fairly tall and I was always on the balls of my feet but to me it was never a problem. I have a 29 in inseam. Know the 2013 with the lowest seat will be a slight improvement but it appears that the 2014 RT will sit even lower and I will be able to flat foot the bike. At 54 I kind of like that idea but that is related in part because I have been reading the BWM forums for the last year. There seems to be a great deal of talk about the need to flatfoot a bike.

Am I wrong or is the Hill Start control and Gear Shift Assist unneeded gimmicks. Tend to think that if you cannot balance the clutch and throttle when you are on an incline as you are starting the bike maybe you should not be riding. Then again I have not rode in ten years and maybe I am missing something. Do those options make sense?

I was going to drop by my local BMW dealer and order a bike and was wondering how long it typically takes to get a BMW to your specifications?

Are some people concerned with buying a radically redesigned Rt. All the reports I have heard have been positive.

I am thrilled to be able to ride again. My kids are now high school age and it is again time to enjoy riding. I am an avid fly fisherman and would love to take some trips to camp and fish. Going on a bike would be so much more fun. Any comments from fellow fly fisherman that travel via their BMW’s would be great. That alarm system on the 2014 is a major key for me because I will be leaving my bike in remote areas and really do worry that some jerk will mess with it.

Thanks Bob

Think it is a matter of personal choice. If you plan to keep the bike a long time, probably won't matter much. The 2013's will depreciate faster as the water cooled 14 becomes more popular. Without being specific, as I told the dealer I wouldn't, there is some room on the 14. You should be able to get the 600 mile break in as part of the deal, substantial discounts on the Navigator V and a discount on the trunk. The 2014 comes loaded at about 22k, less negotiations.

As I never owned a 2013, can't compare, but I will tell you the 14 is a very fine bike. Some are spooked by first year production, but I don't see the 14 as first year production. It has the engine and drivetrain from the 2013 GS. Many of the electronics e.g. cruise control are identical for years.

Either way.....think you will be happy with either one. If you want a 14, you may have to wait in line. There aren't many available, it at all.

My .02

With a 29" inseam I would go for the 2014. Chances are you will be at the limit with a the stock seat in the low position. Go sit on the bike(s) and make your call. Don't screw it up cause it will cost you $$$. I love my 2012 RT. But if I had the $ and was in the market a 2014 would get a test ride too. You only live once.

If you really want to go fly fishing get a GS. RT's suck off road. Always have. The GS can handle both.

You really need to test ride the bikes. You will not be disappointed with a twin. You just have to get the right one.

It takes 2 months to order one.

"Am I wrong or is the Hill Start control and Gear Shift Assist unneeded gimmicks."

Haven't been really tearing thru the gears yet so can't speak knowledgeably about the clutch-less shifting but you have to love that "Hill Start Control"; put it in neutral, engage & your right hand is free, as is (now) your left, and your right foot!

It's kinda neat;, especially on an incline at a long light. I like it, think you will also.

Decisions Decisions

...My ST was fairly tall and I was always on the balls of my feet but to me it was never a problem. I have a 29 in inseam. ...

Am I wrong or is the Hill Start control and Gear Shift Assist unneeded gimmicks. Tend to think that if you cannot balance the clutch and throttle when you are on an incline as you are starting the bike maybe you should not be riding.

That alarm system on the 2014 is a major key for me because I will be leaving my bike in remote areas and really do worry that some jerk will mess with it.

Thanks Bob

A few points:

If the ST wasn't a problem with your inseam, the '13 RT shouldn't be a problem.

Hill start and Gear Assist are gimmicks but useful gimmicks for some. If you've ridden well without them, you won't miss them.

BMW alarm can be retrofit to a 2013 RT.

I had a chance for a good deal on a new '13 last August or wait for a '14. I'm very happy I waited, but others enjoy their '14s. Get the dealer to throw in an alarm on the '13 and you'd be good to go with a couple grand saved in your pocket. Then again, there's depreciation to consider. Regardless, you'll love either bike!

The 14 is more powerful and agile than than the 13. The shift assist is no gimmick. Fantastic when riding fast and curvey. The hill assist is great as a parking brake, even thou advised not ot use it that way. You may or may not get deals depending on the dealer. Some have them presold so why discount. Better bike so to me worth the cost.

I would ride both if I were you, pick the one that feels the best. I got some cash off a new 14 so don't think there are no deals to be had.

As stated though you are only talking about a 1495 difference which is no decision to me. Either way, you'll get a great bike, good luck and ride well.

NB

Hi Bob

I am going to be brutal here.

Which bike suits your needs best.

I have been looking at replacing my 2003 1150 RT every year. Every year I ride several of the 1200's each time I come away feeling that it doesn't have enough improvements to justify the change...that is until now.

The new bile has so many very useful features that it must be the bike that will pull me away from my beloved 1150. We shall see.

The only negative comment I have seen so far is about the kind of protection afforded by the new fairing.

We will wait for honest rider reports coming back.

For me it has to be the new bike.

Rode my 2011 RT up to Greenville for my 12K service and to make a long story short rode back on a gray 2014 RT. After riding a LC GS last year I knew the new RT would be a great update and boy is it ever. Expect the older RT's are going to take a bigger depreciation hit which of course is a good thing if you're looking for a used RT.

Bob (trout man) it almost sounds like you need a GS if you're going into remote areas. Order one without ESA, throw Wilber's on it so you can feel comfortable and have the best of all worlds. The new GS has the unbelievable Wethead motor, the weather protection is surprisingly good and you can strap all the gear you need on it.

This is my first post. I have 600 miles on my new RT and I can tell you that the "Shift Assist" is definitely not a gimmick. I'm having a blast with it. I don't use it for every shift but when I do it brings a big smile...

• 3 weeks later...

i opted for the 2013... felt safer going with the last year of a "proven" model than the first year of a new model... WC engine only out for 1 year so anything can arise in the way of issues... i went with the 2013 RT over a 2013 Triumph Trophy which was a new, super deluxe model using the inline 3 of the explorer... good thing as it has been plagued with problems and now top end engine problems are arising that carry back to the Explorers as well... i would love to grab a 2014 RT but i think i'll wait the 2 more years for the warranty on my 2013 to run out before popping for a new one... by then any "issues" that do arise should have been dealt with....and if there are going to be any issues with new engine design or the water cooling system they should have arisen by then...

Decisions Decisions

My ST was fairly tall and I was always on the balls of my feet but to me it was never a problem. I have a 29 in inseam.

So how does the 2013 fit you? Are you still on the balls of your feet?

I have a 29 inch inseam and did not like off camber or bumpy dirt road approaches to crossroad stop signs because it sat high for me. I (bit the bullet) bought my custom shocks and the bike fits like a glove in both seat positions.

Enjoy your RT. It is a wonderful machine.

I traded in my 2009 RT for the new 2014 and do not regret it at all. I would have shied away from the new RT had all of the technology not already been proven on other bikes. I like the shift assist due to the fact I have over$100K invested in my left arm and wrist from 24 years in the Army and anything to reduce stress on it is a Godsend.

I have over 800 miles on my new bike and love it more every time I ride it.

Enjoy your new ride!

well, I picked mine up this morning and it just had to rain (didn't rain all week while being at work).

So instead of a trip along the country roads with great sweepers, I limped her home in "rain mode". I.e...heavy rain and brand new slippery tires due to them having no milage on them, it wasn't the right time to explore it's abilities.

Let's hope for better weather tomorrow.

Envious congratulations to you Alfred02

Thanks Andy

Still, the 1150 is a great touring bike which I enjoyed every minute of it and it's a real home mechanic's bike, where you still can do your own tuning/maintenance and if necessary repair. Mine was an excellent long distance cruiser.

The Hexhead was the next step-up to a bike that gave more sporty performance and I embarrassed quite a few on their newer sports bikes. If ridden well, it was no slouch and could hold it's own.

Any of the previous versions are excellent bikes and if I could afford it, I would have kept them and ridden them on a regular basis.

As a Communications Technician, it's in my nature to have the latest high tech device, so it's no surprise that the new Wethead hit all my nerves.

I pulled the lock (what a prick of a job) on my old 49L top box and my dealer was great by giving me a new lock, keyed to my new bike at NO Charge. He didn't even want the old lock back as a trade in.

I have a big job on of getting all the devices to work.

Schuberth/SRC to bike blue tooth, BMW Nav 5 to SRC, Iphone5 to..??

Anyway, will be hitting the road in the next couple of hours and clock those miles off in the mountain sweepers to get her broken in ASAP. By the time I go riding with our usual group, I need to be able to open the throttle up as our riding group isn't a slouch and you either keep up or......

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

Funny you should ask.. because I spent 30 minutes yesterday going over the new 2014 RT (no test ride). I walked away with great impressions and a few minor disappointments I may not have noticed if it wasn't for the fact that I own an '11. That being said, we humans tend to become creatures of habit and often associate 'better' with 'familiar'. Point being, my 'complaints' would likely not exist if I didn't own the previous generation.

For example, I nicely tuck tools, first aid kit, cable lock and mini air compressor w/ repair kit below the passenger seat. This area is now consumed with electronics on the '14. (at least the one I looked at) Also, I invested in every piece of fitted luggage BMW ever made for the RT as well as the tank bag...making the upgrade to a '14 financially less attractive in my case.

On the other hand, the new LED lighting includes the obvious safety benefits, wind protection appears superior (TBD), seat is slightly wider and lower for inseam challenged folks like myself. Then you have the motor.. What's not to like about more power and fan regulated cooling?

My opinion?

I would NOT consider a new 2013. I would instead buy a lightly used, well maintained 2010-2013. However, if your heart is set on new, go for the '14 for all the reasons previously stated by others. I don't think you will be disappointed!!!

• 1 month later...
bubbamoore

@Deezal Man , I agree with your reasoning on the bike choice. The tool storage is a problem , however my old BMW luggage (06 RT) fits the new bike bags like they were made for it. I kept the old top case and will have it keyed and painted to the new bike.

pannier and top box liners for an '11 will fit the '14 fine...

i test rode the '14 yesterday at a BMW dealer demo day and while yes it is a nice bike, is it worth what it would cost me to upgrade from my '13? no, not to me...

also, i cant say i "love" any of the 3 available color options... although of the 3 i would likely take the Ebony Metallic as it pops a bit more in sunlight... i really like the Midnight Blue of my '13....

I'm using my liners from my 02R1150RT (system case), they work great. I must be losing a little space but I have noticed it.

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

I road tested the new water cooled R1200RT. It is an impressive bike. However, the bike is moved around by gusty winds and truck bow waves that don't affect my R1150RT. Too bad, I was looking or a reason to move up. Great engine though!

I road tested the new water cooled R1200RT. It is an impressive bike. However, the bike is moved around by gusty winds and truck bow waves that don't affect my R1150RT. Too bad, I was looking or a reason to move up. Great engine though!

The 1150RT is very much a "cruiser bike" with some sport capability. So this is the correct bike for riders that are more into the cruiser/slab riding mile after mile. It does have some impressive cornering ability if pressed.

The Hexheads/Camheads/Waterheads are moving/biasing towards the more sporty features with the LC being the most sport capable out of all of them.

The LC has very fast steering and as such might be more influenced with wind turbulence.

But wind turbulence will effect any bike depending which distance you keep to the truck. Back off slightly to get in the clean airflow and your problem will be eliminated.

I have not noticed an increase in wind buffering on mine while riding on the highway here (compared to my previous Hexhead).

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did agonize over this purchase, as I was on the fence in terms of the 2013 Rt or the new 2014. I looked into loaded 2013 Rt’s with the tank bag, tail bag, lower seat and top case and I was disappointed over some of my offers. Max’s had the best prices but they did not have the 90th Anniversary but there was a shop in Mass. that had the bike but they were not as willing to deal as Max’s. The folks at Max’s seemed great.

Really hated not going local (Country Rode Cycles) but they did not have any 2013 Rt’s left. Country Rode is a long term BMW dealer and they have a Mom and Pop feel to it, which I like. I kept reading all the reports on the 2014 and decided to order the Quartz Blue with an older new top case. I of coarse ordered the bike with all the options (I am such a sucker for the bells and whistles) and am now anxiously waiting but it will be two to six more weeks. I ordered the bike with the low seat and it will be nice being able to flat foot a bike for the first time ever. I have been practicing on my neighbors 900 cc Honda cruiser and I will take it slow when the Rt arrives.

My plan is to take it on a long trip likely the Catskill Mountains for a fishing trip. If there are any other serious fly fisherman out there that want to travel to Vermont and Maine this fall feel free to contact me.

Even when cruising on my Concours and later my ST I have always dreamed of owing an Rt. As people can tell I cannot wait.

I work in the mental health field with high-risk families and I used my St for my home visits. Riding a bike was a great icebreaker and I intend to again use my bike for work. Really like the idea of being paid to ride a motorcycle.

My wife is euphoric that the buying process is over. It has been 10 to 12 years since my last bike and I have missed riding so much.

Will keep you updated when I finally get the bike.

Thanks again Bohemian Bob

I came off of a 2005 R1150Rt for the 2014 RT. Yes I do notice a little more sensitivity on the RT when winds are strong or behind a big vehicle. At first in bothered me, but now I just give the bike it's head and let it go without worry.

A couple of things. I have a 31" in seam. I can easily flat foot the 14 RT in the low setting and can almost flat foot it in the high setting. You might want to try a standard seat at the dealer before you get the low seat. Nothing wrong with a low seat, but it will make your legs and knees an inch or so more compact.

The 14RT is way more nimble than my 1150RT was and is way less top heavy. As Alfred said...it is considerably easier to flick around.

When you get yours I suggest you put it in Rain mode. You still get full throttle, but it comes on slower as you progress the throttle grip. The bike is very quick to respond and rain will calm it down for you some until you get use to it.

My .02.

I have a 30" inseam and can flat foot the 14'R1200RT in the low setting. I couldn't even come close to this with my 04'R1150RT. I think the nose on the 14'RT is a bit longer which amplifies the wind turbulence off of trucks just a tad. Cross wind seems pretty stable compared to the 04'RT to me.

One big difference is that the 14'RT is much more stable at slow speeds and from a stop. I can set the cruse control and ride without hands (not recommending you try this) at any speed on the 14'RT whereas the 04'RT would put me into the curb or ditch straight away. My 04'RT would also pull to the right from a stop light and I haven't noticed this at all on the 14'RT. So handling is a big improvement overall.

As others have said, power is a huge step change. I pay more attention to my turns than I use to when using "DYNA" or even "ROAD", because I have spun the back tire on the same throttle input as on the 04'RT.

Archived