IGNORED

New 2014 RT - Bluetooth questions?

RT-Flyer

Just picked up my new 2014 Rt, Smiles Smiles and more smiles! My question about BT connection is two fold;

1. I have been using Zumo 550 with earbuds and a Scala G4 paired to my iPhone 5. Live was simple a work rather seamlessly. Paired my G4 to motorcycle no problem, no wiz wheel volume but that is non issue. Works great good volume life is good so far.

2. I have a new Nav V, now the confusion and trouble starts. Tried to pair the Nav and phone and it paired up but tells me it has no communication link. When I try calling the phone, only the phone rings does not come thru the bikes connection to my G4.

Also when I Paired my G4 to the bike I also see that the NavV is listed as a pairing option. Should I pair the Nav V to one of helmets? That does not make sense to me. Of course the only directions given are for the BMW communicator and I am just not willing to go there at this time. I will accept some comprimse in functionality as long as I am not moving backwards.

So it seems I can pair the G4 to the bike.

Paired the iPhone to the Nav V but I get nothing thru the G4. Am I missing ? Does the GPS directions come thru bike system or to I need to connect directly to GPS / NAV V.

Thanks

I never really got a grip on the pairing process myself and it's been a while since I did it with my GT.

I think it goes like this.

Phone to Nav

Nav to bike

Headset to bike

I'll find out in a week or so if I've got it right with the RT.

Edit

Could be headset to nav.

Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

Pat

I just got my 14' RT on 2/18 I've been using a G9 for the last two years riding my 02 R1150R. At first I was able to get everything connected last week by connecting iPhone 4 to Nav5, Nav5 to G9, BMW to G9. But I did notice that the music sound quality wasn't as good as it was by going from my iPhone to G9 before connecting to BMW.

The last two rides every time I try to connect to my BMW audio it will connect but keeps cutting out like its searching or something. Although the Nav system will still connect through the G9 and speak directions with no issues.

I will continue to play around with on other ride stops to see if I can get it worked out.

AdirondackJack

Best idea is to go on the K1600 Forum HERE and look up this topic there. They have a wealth of experience dealing with this issue on the K1600 which I believe is identical to the BT/audio/Nav4 and 5/ wonderwheel issues on the wethead RT. Just sayin. . . . . . . .

2012 RT

My personal preference/set-up;

IPhone paired to helmet

Nav IV paired to helmet, and iPhone.

BMW comm paired to helmet

For most trips I leave the blue tooth OFF on the GPS, this will allow the GPS voice prompts (and music) to be routed via wire too the BMW comm system. This eliminated the disconnect/reconnect of bluetooth from the comm system every time a voice prompt kicks in (from Nav IV over bluetooth), the comm system is simply muting the music for the prompt.

The benefit of the GPS paired to phone allows to see the name of incoming callers on the gps screen, not my priority, but handy knowing who's calling before you decide to answer. You can turn this connection off via iPhones bluetooth connection setup.

The benefit of GPS paired to helmet allows voice prompts direct to helmet if the comm system is off.

Then there are times I turn it all off and enjoy the purr of the boxer!

I have the new Nav V and I get no GPS Audio thru the Bike, the only audio I get is thru the helmet pairing ... Am I missing something ... I installed a headphone jack and receive all Bike Audio now thru that wired connection but I have never had GPS Audio..

My connections are as follows;

1. Pair Helmet to GPS

2. Pair IPhone to GPS

3. Connect to Bike Audio using my monitors or earbuds with wired connection

I have a new Scala Q9X with capability to have 2 separate Bluetooth connections but I have not Paired my Q9 to the Bike Audio because I just prefer the quality of the wired connection over the BMW BT ... I have disconnected the speakers as I just don't see / hear the point either around town or at 75 MPH with Modular Helmet

I have heard the Nav V prompts through my 14 RT speakers a few times but not always and haven't figured out the trick. I normally listen to the prompts through my helmet Bluetooth but sometimes don't wear that helmet and would like to hear the prompts through the bike's speakers. If anyone has it working consistently please let us know what the procedure is.

I have heard the Nav V prompts through my 14 RT speakers a few times but not always and haven't figured out the trick. I normally listen to the prompts through my helmet Bluetooth but sometimes don't wear that helmet and would like to hear the prompts through the bike's speakers. If anyone has it working consistently please let us know what the procedure is.

I would really like to hear the answer to GPS Audio thru the bikes system !!!

This may be obvious but on the K 16, the bike's speakers need to be switched on in the audio menu to hear the Nav prompts through the speakers when not using bluetooth. Using bluetooh, the speakers are off.

Pat

This may be obvious but on the K 16, the bike's speakers need to be switched on in the audio menu to hear the Nav prompts through the speakers when not using bluetooth. Using bluetooh, the speakers are off.

Understood, my speaker selection in the Bike Audio Menu is in the "Speaker On" position. I have all the Bike Audio thru my earbuds or monitors. I have never heard GPS Audio thru the Speakers or Audio System when paired and using BT audio. The only way I get GPS Audio is with my helmet pair directly to the Nav V. Maybe this is the way it works but I can not understand why they would not have the GPS Audio thru the Bikes Audio System.

I have installed the Headphone Jack by tapping into the speaker wires behind the speaker grill. There is a connector on the front of the speaker module on each side that converts the speaker out wires for each channel fromThe Alpine unit, Left Channel = Yellow/ Red and Yellow Brown , Right Channel = Blue/ Red Blue/Brown. Reds being the hot and the browns being the ground or common for each speaker out channel. These wires run into the connectors mounted on the front of the speaker housing. The wires running out of that connector to the backside of the speaker modules are Blue for Hot and Red for Ground, they are the same on both left and right speaker modules. I tapped in just before the connector which allows my "Headphone Jack" to operate as the Bikes speakers when the Speaker selection in the Bikes Audio Menu is selected "On". Then I unplugged the back side of the connector so that the actual bikes speakers are not not functioning.

Pat

RT Flyer

If you want to turn off the speakers you can do this thru the audio selection on the bike menu. Nice feature if you listen via Bluetooth.

I just taped into the wires to listen via earbuds. I unplug the speakers, only way to shut them down since I taped into the audio wire. The only drawback is volume I don't have the control I'd like, it increases a lot with each click. Not sure of a work around for this? I’ve only taken one ride since completing the set-up. It sure is nice to have everything come into my earbuds with good quality sound.

Jay

RT Flyer

If you want to turn off the speakers you can do this thru the audio selection on the bike menu. Nice feature if you listen via Bluetooth.

I just taped into the wires to listen via earbuds. I unplug the speakers, only way to shut them down since I taped into the audio wire. The only drawback is volume I don't have the control I'd like, it increases a lot with each click. Not sure of a work around for this? I’ve only taken one ride since completing the set-up. It sure is nice to have everything come into my earbuds with good quality sound.

Jay

Jay ... My wife Father was from Willis Point, has now passed but lived many years out on the Lake, I'd spell it but I would never get it right.

My main reason for taking the speakers out of the system is I just don't care to be advertising what or the fact I am listening to music when in slow traffic or around town. And trying to listen to anything at highway speed on the speakers for me is a useless endeavor. I have heard in other threads about the lack of or very sensitive volume control with the earbuds but that does not seem to be the case after my modification. Using the Wizz Wheel I would be near the half way or a little above on the volume scale on the instrument cluster. I seem to have a very normal ratio of actual volume in the earbuds to the Bikes speaker volume which is why I disconnected the speakers. Annoys the heck out me when someone blasting their music next to me in traffic or at Service Sation.

We are in Dallas area on a regular basis, actually botught my 2009 RT with BMW Motorcycles of North Dallas/ Plano. At least once or twice a year we get off I20 and drive thru Willis Point out to the Lake for old times sake. Headed to Frisco next week, weather will dictate if I drive or take the RT.

Ride safe ....

Understood, my speaker selection in the Bike Audio Menu is in the "Speaker On" position. I have all the Bike Audio thru my earbuds or monitors. I have never heard GPS Audio thru the Speakers or Audio System when paired and using BT audio. The only way I get GPS Audio is with my helmet pair directly to the Nav V. Maybe this is the way it works but I can not understand why they would not have the GPS Audio thru the Bikes Audio System.

I have installed the Headphone Jack by tapping into the speaker wires behind the speaker grill. There is a connector on the front of the speaker module on each side that converts the speaker out wires for each channel fromThe Alpine unit, Left Channel = Yellow/ Red and Yellow Brown , Right Channel = Blue/ Red Blue/Brown. Reds being the hot and the browns being the ground or common for each speaker out channel. These wires run into the connectors mounted on the front of the speaker housing. The wires running out of that connector to the backside of the speaker modules are Blue for Hot and Red for Ground, they are the same on both left and right speaker modules. I tapped in just before the connector which allows my "Headphone Jack" to operate as the Bikes speakers when the Speaker selection in the Bikes Audio Menu is selected "On". Then I unplugged the back side of the connector so that the actual bikes speakers are not not functioning.

RT-Flyer,

You have the setup I'm trying for; nicely done. Jay (strataj) is walking me through his approach (and being patient as heck) but I'm concerned about volume control. Question: Did you tap in to the Yellow/Red Yellow/Brown Blue/Red/Blue/Brown combo or the Blue (hot) Red (Ground) wires? Also, how did you use connect the tapped-in wires from each speaker to one female connector that accepts your ear bud male connector? The longest female connector I can find with 2 ea. wires running from it is only 10" long.

I'm way out of my element here so your help/comments greatly appreciated.

Mike

RT-Flyer,

You have the setup I'm trying for; nicely done. Jay (strataj) is walking me through his approach (and being patient as heck) but I'm concerned about volume control. Question: Did you tap in to the Yellow/Red Yellow/Brown Blue/Red/Blue/Brown combo or the Blue (hot) Red (Ground) wires? Also, how did you use connect the tapped-in wires from each speaker to one female connector that accepts your ear bud male connector? The longest female connector I can find with 2 ea. wires running from it is only 10" long.

Mike

What I did Mike to start with I bought a Mini Jack from Radio Shack 6' if I recall. If you remove the speaker grill on both sides there is a connector with the Speaker out wires from the Alpine unit going into the bottom of the connector and Red for Hot and Blue for Ground/ Common on both sides of the bike coming out the top of the connector running thru a waterproof groummet to backside of the speaker module.

I stripped off the external covering from about 6" behind the female mini jack. I felt as though the ground line in the mini jack was a bit on the small size for what I wanted so I cut it and spliced a 18 gauge ground wire in its place. I tapped the twisted wire splice wrapped with tape and use about 6" of heat shrink to protect it. I drilled a hole in the Leftside Storage compartment, ran the wire bundle through the drilled hole, then through a rubber grommet and add a bit of silicone to just be insure the compartment was water tight.

What I did was run a single ground and route it under the dash, fitted and left enough for a mistake on the connection on the right side. I then I tapped into the Speaker Out Wires that run from the back Alpine Unit to the bottom side of the front speaker connectors. I used Positaps and connected the Red Speaker wire from the Mini Jack to the Yellow/Red = Hot on the left Side the Used a Positap to tap into my common ground line and then a short 3" piece to tie into Yellow/Browm = Ground line. I connected just below the Speaker connector reason being I wanted the option to disconnect the Bike Speakers without affecting the output to the mini jack.

I repeated the same process on the right side, Blue/Red = Hot to the Mini Jacks Black Hot speaker Line and Blue/Brown = Ground to the common Ground Line that I ran across and under the Instrument Cluster. Made the connections identical to the Left side except I ran ground wire directly into bottom side of the Positap. I found it easiest to run the Bikes Speaker and Ground wire thru the Positap first, screw/close and secure those connections then make screw/close and secure the bottom Positap connections with the mini jack speaker and ground wires on the left side and right side. On the right side I made the Positap connection to the ground wire by running the end if tha common ground directly into the bottom of Positap. So I have a single ground line with "T" connection made by a Positap for the Legt side ground and the common ground line running directly into the right side Positap connection, vs the "Y" configuration shown in another. Same results just a little different.

I am using a Scala G9X headset and yesterday I confirmed that I am not able to get GPS Audio from the Bike Audio system. I have asked if I am doing something wrong or have not configured the bike correctly. Anyway G9X has dual Bluetooth Channels or as the Scala folks call it BMW Pairing. I paired in the following sequence yesterday and all seems to work;

1. Paired Channel "A" to the Bikes Audio System. Tried again to program a route in the Nav V but again no GPS Guidance Audio thru the BT link to the headset.

2. Paired my Q9X headset Channel "B" to the Nav V.

3 Paired my iPhone to Nav V. I also have "SmartLink" App installed on my iPhone and everything connected showing the "SmartLink" symbol on the connection listing on the Nav V.

Now when I sected a route on the Nav V route guidance came through loud and clear.

So now when I have the Bikes Audio Selection to Speakers "On" I have Bike Audio through my Earbugs, I use Kilpsich XI- 10 very small and comfortable with excellent seal and sound quality. When GPS is giving Audio instructions the Bike Audio is muted and when the GPS a Audio is finished it reverts back to Bike Audio.

When I select Speakers "Off" and link with the Bikes Bluetooth I get the same results.

The "Whizz Wheel" is working in both configurations and as far as volume with the earbuds yesterday I was at about 4 to 5 Clicks or lighted volume segments on the display for normal volume and probably 6 clicks for Boogie Down Mode.

Pleased with the setup so far because of the options that I have;

1. Bike Bluetooth - Not that Great an Audio choice, but I have Bike Audio GPS and phone.

2. Mini Jack into EarBuds with Bike Audio Speakers "On" with phone and GPS on BT Link thru helmet speakers. I can see incoming call and either accept or decline and call when able.

3. Audio Line directly into G9X "Line In Connection" with I earbuds plugged into the Speaker connection on the headset that uses a mini jack for its speaker connection or for using earbuds. GPS and phone on BT thru Helmet speakers.

The final change I made was to disconnect the Bike Speakers by simply disconnecting the speakers at the connectors up front behind the Speaker grills.

The longest female connector I can find with 2 ea. wires running from it is only 10" long.

Mike

[/b]

I think the short lead on the jack is a good thing. Once you get it installed and anchored down firmly so you can't pull it out, run an extension to wherever you want on the bike. This way when you get off the bike and forget to unplug you'll be yanking on the extension and not the wiring directly connected to the stereo.

Something like this.

You can do this, I've seen you take half your bike apart and put it back together.

My concern with running these connections from the back of the bike to the front with a mini jack plug would be the unnecessary complication of routing and possible RF issues. Placement up front is shorter and routing much much easier. I plugged a short thin coil extension line into my installed mini jack that I can close the storage compartment on without an issue. I have that coiled line mini plugs jack wedged between the handle bar and hydraulic line on the left handlebar so that it's not visible, very secure and non moving but oriented vertically so it's very easy to plug and unplug my earbuds. No interference with the earbud cable getting on or off the bike or while moving down the road.

I did a little day trip to test out everything today, 225 miles of interstate highway at the 75 MPH speed limit. Quiet, no road noise, good audio at low sound levels both with Direct Bike Audio to my earbuds and also thru the Bikes Bluetooth connection. When I heard GPS Audio, I would push the "On" button on Bikes radio briefly to silenced the Bike Audio and hear the GPS audio loud and clear. Incoming phone calls displayed on the GPS screen, again pressed the "On" button on the Bike s Radio to silence the Bike Audio, Pressed the answer button on the GPS screen and communicated thru the helmet speakers and the volume was more sufficient even with my earbuds in place. I love the iintegration of all the communication, Sat Radio and navigation,

Ground Control to Major Tom,

Ground Control to Major Tom

Take your Protein Pill and put your Helmet on.

• 2 months later...

I have UClear BT units and the Nav 5, but cannot get any audio prompts to my helmet speakers.

Like a number of others on this thread, I have no interest in playing sound through the bike's speakers --I just want to hear the Nav prompts in my helmet.

I've paired the UClear unit to the Nav 5, and also paired it to the bike but nothing seems to work for me.

Can any of you help me figure this out?

(By the way, I never had any problem getting sound in my helmet with the Nav IV on my K1600. which I traded for the 2014 RT.)

Weston

Big mystery to me!

I have UClear BT units and the Nav 5, but cannot get any audio prompts to my helmet speakers.

Like a number of others on this thread, I have no interest in playing sound through the bike's speakers --I just want to hear the Nav prompts in my helmet.

I've paired the UClear unit to the Nav 5, and also paired it to the bike but nothing seems to work for me.

Can any of you help me figure this out?

(By the way, I never had any problem getting sound in my helmet with the Nav IV on my K1600. which I traded for the 2014 RT.)

Weston

Big mystery to me!

This may sound strange but in order for me to hear the Nav V I need to mute it and then unmute. Give that a try and let us know.

Jay

Hell Weston

I have never heard of UClear before and had a quick look on their website.

What caught my eye is that you stated, your BT is paired to "both", the bike and the Nav5!

Don't.....

You are asking for trouble.

Pair your UClear "only" to the bike "helmet 1".

Then if you do use your mobile phone, pair it to the Nav5 only.

Just for basics:

Follow the booklet for pairing that came with your 2014 1200RTLC to the letter. Yes, I know that it shows the BMW Communicator system, but works with others as well.

When pairing, have only the BT devices to pair turned on.

So, lets say, you want to pair your UClear to the bike:

Before starting to pair, turn off the BT on you mobile phone (if you have it with you) and turn BT off in your Nav5.

Then once your helmet is paired to the bike, turn on BT on the Nav5 and your mobile phone, set both of these into pairing mode and pair them.

On one of the K1600 forums there is lots of discussion of Users having problems with getting reliable re-connections after having done all the pairing.

My SRC helmet BT is now 100% reliable. The turn on sequence is:

Turn on bike and let it finish its pre-start up sequence.

Start bike and once running, turn on your helmet BT.

All your comms to the helmet should and does come from your bike's BT only.

I know that I haven't answered your navigation issue, but unless you get your basics correct 1st, you have no chance of ever getting it to work properly.

If after having you comms basics set up correct and they are working (i.e you can hear the radio in your helmet, if chosen), then the problem is purely in the Nav5's internal setup (not the BT, leave that alone). No point fiddling with anything else.

Then once your helmet is paired to the bike, turn on BT on the Nav5 and your mobile phone, set both of these into pairing mode and pair them.

Excellent directions. Just one question... My misguided understanding is that the Nav5 communicates through the bike which has already been paired to the helmet and that the phone should be paired to the Nav5. Pair the Nav5 and phone to what?

I read BJ to be asking how is the phone/nav V Bluetooth connected pair in turn connected to the bike/helmet bluetooth connected pair. Is the answer to that question the hard wiring via the bike's cradle for the Nav 5?

Archived