IGNORED

Painted Top Case RT

ChuckM

Recently purchased the R1200RT and since I ride two up needed a backrest for my wife. I purchased the smaller of the BMW top cases and recently had it painted. Attached is the photo. Jean Dean's site shows the larger case painted as well. So enjoyed reading all the posts over the past months.

Chuck smile.gif

633720-RTTopCase.jpg.0e68b84992cc5a3f8c71e6a7a12d6a2a.jpg

Welcome! Your case looks great, my large top case is getting painted, I pick it up next week. What did you pay? My dealer charged $120.00 - they sent it to a local painter who does work for them.

I paid through a BMW dealer $250. That was a price I also had quoted by a paint shop. Real pleased with the quality. It not only was a great color match, the quality was as good or better than the RT's factory paint job.

Wow, thanks for the preview! I have one in exactly the same color combination on order - including the color-matched small trunk. Actually, the only difference is that mine will have the black seat. Do you have a higher resolution version you can send me?

Roger

Chuck,

That looks great! I went with the large case after pricing the RCU backrest for my wife (way too pricey!). I have the dark graphite and had a silver spoiler put on around the heads and a gray seat, so I'll probably leave the trunk black and silver, but on your red bike that looks super! Nice job.

Chuck,

That looks great! I went with the large case after pricing the RCU backrest for my wife (way too pricey!). I have the dark graphite and had a silver spoiler put on around the heads and a gray seat, so I'll probably leave the trunk black and silver, but on your red bike that looks super! Nice job.

Hi Chuck, I have the same color scheme as you and have reached the same decision about leaving the topcase. On the red bikes the painted case looks fantastic.

Gerald,

Thanks for the preview - can't wait to get mine back. GF hates being on the freeway without the back rest.

No prob. Hope you get it back soon.

Chuck,

I'm going to do the same to my red RT. Question: can't really tell from the picture (shadow), did you just do the lid or the whole box? Looks like just the lid. ??

Thanks.

I had just the top lid painted. I left the bottom half untouched and it looks nice. It matches the black in the body of the cycle, and the two color side luggages. Here is a picture from the rear. Photo doesn't do it justice. The silver plate on the top lide really looks nice with the red.

634974-RTRear.jpg.784702a133d79b4699a6fe2915aa578d.jpg

Archived