IGNORED

Grinding noise in Starter?

AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser

Ok, the first mechanical burble of my bikes illustrious 83K life.

My O2 RT makes a grinding noise when I thumb the starter button. Is this my starter going south?

I just hope it'll start to get me to Brown's BMW!

Steve

If bolts were tight, while you have off l/h fairing, might as well take off the starter (disconnect the negative battery terminal first). Take off nut on main copper solenoid stud, one spade connector to other solenoid terminal, cut zip tie that goes around starter and holds side switch wires out of harm's way, 2 allen bolts. Take flashlight and peer inside at flywheel and make sure that no teeth are chipped or missing. You can hook a set of jumper cables up to your car battery. Put starter next to your car on the ground, and take the other ends of the jumper cables and put the negative cable on the starter someplace (usually someplace on drive end) to ground it. Hook up the positive jumper cable to the big, main copper solenoid stud leaving some space behind it. Then take a screwdriver and cross between the main copper solenoid terminal and the male spade terminal and see if starter will spin up. If it spins up, you probably have a bad starter drive and perhaps a bad drive end housing bushing. I do not know if you can buy parts to have these rebuilt or not- maybe someone else does. If worst comes to worst though- you can buy a rebuilt starter. I just had mine off my '98 R1100RT and did the starter drive lube on it. It's a Valero (France, I think?) and they even have them for sale on e-bay.

• 1 month later...

I picked up my bike from dealer today after 24,000 service.

Note on the worksheet said starter suspect, as far as I remember it has always sounded the way it has since I have had it, it certainly starts the bike OK.

Think it maybe screechy so will give the cleanup/lube theory a shot.

Bill Dennes

There is a rebuild kit for the starter. 12 41 1 244 611. It contains both bushings and a new retainer clip for the gear.

Michael Fajans

At 17,000 miles (last week) my (2004)starter was squealing/screeching at all cold start ups. Dealer said it was faulty and replaced it under warranty with no questions. Mechanic said he believed there were improvements of some kind in the replacement starter.

I just came across this post so I want to ask a question.

My starter is screeching when I go to cold start it. Will taking it apart and lubing it "fix" it or am I better off replacing it? I have about 43,000 miles on it now ('02 RT).

If replacing it is a better option where is the best place on line to get one priced right? What brand is the best, i.e Valeo, Bosch, etc?

Thanks for the input. confused.gif

Steve

(...) My O2 RT makes a grinding noise when I thumb the starter button. Is this my starter going south? (...)

You're not supposed to push that button if the engine is running already!

(Sorry - but I couldn't help it...)

G.

Archived