IGNORED

2014 R1200RT owners manual now available on line

ChrisvH

Interesting read.

Actually kind of turns me off on getting a wethead RT.

Too many "nanny" rules, things you can't adjust while moving, etc.

Too many options with no means of turning off, like always lowering the windshield when you turn bike off.

Maybe just too much stuff. :)

Way to many things that can fail. :cry:

Way too many opportunities for bad programming! :S

I think I'll just continue to ride my oilhead. With only 122,000 miles it could last me a long time.

Stan

I can't say it seemed any worse than the manual on the 1150RT. This was pretty bad with respect to the Servo Brakes.

The warnings went on and on and on.

Mind you, mine failed, so at least you can't say that they didn't intimate that the system was WAY too complicated to have as a primary safety system (brakes)!

Thanks for sharing, though I'll admit that my initial reaction was similar to Stan's and Chris' - all that complexity on a motorcycle? And we cyclists worry about distracted cagers? I'll happily admit that my '04 is ancient by today's standards, but I was having a hard time imagining that I could ever train my left thumb to expertly navigate all those buttons (I still sometimes hit the horn to cancel my signal).

Though the thought of a real cruise control does peak my imagination...hmmm.

It's good that I won't even be able to consider one of these (a used one) for another 6-7 years as I'll need all that time to study up.

As far as control complexity goes, you may scratch your head for a day or so and then all of a sudden it will become as natural as breathing. My experience is with the kGT, same controls.

Pat

Well a hundred ninety pages is a bit impressive just for a motorcylce

These aren't five copies of the same manual, but volumes 1-5 for my 2002 Chevy pickup. :P

orig.jpg

volumes 1-5 for my 2002 Chevy pickup.

Don't think that counts, it's a service manual, not an owners guide. Still it's impressive.

The owners manual for my new 2014 Jeep GC is 660 pages...... and that doesn't include some of the electronics.....

Stan

I've seen worse... much worse.

One thing I like is the clocks can be adjusted... probably a subtle way to admit they screwed up on the Hexhead, and badly so.

Thanks for sharing, though I'll admit that my initial reaction was similar to Stan's and Chris' - all that complexity on a motorcycle?

That is before reading the manuals for the SatNav, Bluetooth/Bike-to-Bike intercom, Radar Detector, Sirius Radio,

Interesting and ominous statements can be found in the owners manual of most any late model vehicle.

I found this statement in the manual of my 2006 330 I:

“The laws of physics cannot be repealed even with Dynamic Stability Control. An appropriate driving style always remains the responsibility of the driver. Therefore, do not reduce the additional safety margin again by taking risks”

I have owned the car for 8 years and this still makes me laugh. There is a more ominous statement in the manual of our 2009 Volvo:

“Your vehicle’s driving and safety systems employ computers that monitor, and share with each other, information about your vehicle’s operation. One or more of these computers may store what they monitor, either during normal vehicle operation or in a crash or near crash event. Stored information may be read and used by:

• Volvo Car Corporation

• Service and repair facilities

• law enforcement or government agencies

• others who may assert a legal right to know, or who obtain your consent to know such information.

In reality this capacity has been available in one form or another since the introduction of OBD II in the mid 90’s.

Any thoughts on the cooling system for this bike. Will it overheat if you have a coolant system problem? I ask because from what I read, air still has a substantial roll in its cooling.

It would be nice to know if you lost all your coolant for some unknown reason, you wouldn't be stranded by the side of the road.

Pat

Archived