IGNORED

ABS not resetting

pushrod

My 97 R11RT has been sitting for several months, always with Battery Tender plugged in. On a warm up ride yesterday, the ABS would not reset. Suspecting a low charge, I removed and bench charged the battery with same results. I do not hear the "reset click", and both lights continue to flash. How can I check the codes and where can I get the info for them? What would be the normal suspect, I've never had any problems before?

My 97 R11RT has been sitting for several months, always with Battery Tender plugged in. On a warm up ride yesterday, the ABS would not reset. Suspecting a low charge, I removed and bench charged the battery with same results. I do not hear the "reset click", and both lights continue to flash. How can I check the codes and where can I get the info for them? What would be the normal suspect, I've never had any problems before?

Could still be a battery problem even with a fresh charge. The ABS isn't happy with the voltage it sees on start up.

If the lights flash alternating, it is still indicating a low voltage fault. If they continue flashing together then you have another reason for the fault. Take a look at IBMWR tech article for the codes. The blue connector is under the seat.

I have tried the reset procedure, no luck. The lights are flashing alternatively, I'm going to check the specific gravity of the Battery, and then check for corrosion on the pin connections, and chafed wires. Just love getting the tank off..... Thanx for the pointers, might take awhile to get back to you all.

Just love getting the tank off.....

No need to remove the tank, the battery slides out the left side of the bike just fine.

Stan

Before going to the trouble to pull the tank, just attach a voltmeter to the battery terminals and measure the voltage with the ignition on. If the battery voltage is 11.8 or greater then start looking for a bad connection causing the low voltage fault, if however the battery voltage is below 11.8, just get a new battery.

Archived