IGNORED

Louder Horns For My 2012 R1200RT

JohnH

I decided to upgrade the horns on my 2012 R100RT as a winter project. The loud horns on the 2005 RT had been useful on a few occasions to keep vehicles from invading my traffic lane. The feeble "beep" of the 2012 horns didn't seem capable of influencing anyone to change direction. It took some research to determine the parts required, so I thought I'd share my results.

I used the Hella HLA-7424801 horns. I picked them up at Summit Racing on a trip in that area. $26.97 + tax.

http://s818.photobucket.com/user/jaherbert/media/Horns_zps0242b606.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

They came with a relay, but I elected to wire them direct as they were on the 2005. Each horn draws 6 amps. I used the BMW 83300402344 connector to avoid cutting in the wiring harness.

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/jaherbert/Connector_zpsa7a31052.jpg

I made the installation removing only the left side fairing panel, the one BMW calls the lateral trim panel.

Access was tight, and removing the horn and bracket required unscrewing the 40 torx screw that mounts the bracket to the frame. There was no room for a wrench with my 3/8 drive 40 torx socket and bit, but the hex on the bit was 10mm, so I was able to use an end wrench on the bit.

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/jaherbert/40Torx_zpsa52212fb.jpg

Here are the horns with the wiring harness. I added enough connectors to install the relay if it becomes necessary.

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/jaherbert/WiringHarness_zpsc57efc68.jpg

Here are the horns installed.

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz105/jaherbert/Hornsinplace_zps9b40ef29.jpg

I few lengthy test blasts showed no problem, so I put things back together. Here's what they sound like.

http://s818.photobucket.com/user/jaherbert/media/IMG_0198_zpsfa036da4.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

I had the wire and connectors I needed, so my cost for the project was under $60.00.

Great writeup. I surely miss the air horns I had on my ST. Now I need an upgrade along with a 1-2 inch longer thumb to reach the horn button easily.

After 29 years riding with the "BMW" switch arrangement, I am finding it difficult to find the horn when I could use it, and then am underwhelmed with the result. With 3 months and 3500 miles on the RT, I am adapting to the turn signals much easier, although, at times I have to think about it.

Frank

• 4 months later...

Just curious, how are the horns working out for you?

The area where the horn is located on my 2013 RT is crowded. The single OEM horn is angled to the left to avoid the braided front brake hose. I would think two horns in that space may interfere with the brake line.

Did you encounter any interference problems?

I bought a pair of BMW OEM hi/low horns intended for the '05/'06 RT for my '13 RT.

I replaced the single stock disk horn with the high-note bell horn.

Running a T-tap connector on the single stock wire, I mounted the low-tone horn on the left fairing support tubing, just inside the front of the painted fairing side panel, forward of the gas tank and with the horn bell pointing down. I think that's where the second factory horn was mounted on my '06 RT. Works great.

Sounds like you didn't use a relay to power the twin horns. No problems with the CAN-bus detecting additional current in that circuit and shutting it down?

I've been using the horns since the riding season started here in Ohio. As noted in my original post, I wired them direct without a relay. I've tested them several times on lonely roads with a prolonged blast with no problems. I took care to install them with no interference with brake lines and such. I've checked again recently by turning the bars lock to lock. There is no contact with any other components.

John in VA

Sounds like you didn't use a relay to power the twin horns. No problems with the CAN-bus detecting additional current in that circuit and shutting it down?

No relay needed, plenty of juice for both horns -- and LOUD!

I'm thinking that the hexhead main wiring harness horn circuit is unchanged from the dual-horn '05-'06 setup except that the second wire out was dropped.

Dave_in_TX

I don't doubt that the two horns are loud but considering how wimpy the stock wires are (thin wires=high resistance), I bet they'd be noticeably louder with a relay.

John in VA

I don't doubt that the two horns are loud but considering how wimpy the stock wires are (thin wires=high resistance), I bet they'd be noticeably louder with a relay.

Yep, loud enough. When the state inspector asked me to test the horn for him, one quick button tap made a loud BLAATTT! in the repair bay and he definitely jumped. He was expecting a little RoadRunner "meep" sound.

I just followed the post by Digtlartst. Bought the two horns from 2wheelpros.com and installed on the bike. Simple install. Nice write-up. Thanks.

One added comment and tip. I did visit the BMW auto dealer to buy a male adaptor for the second horn (cost for the two wires and adaptor was $9.33). I figured the auto dealer would have the adaptor as the two horns also fit several BMW auto models. I went there only because the auto dealer is much closer to where I live than the motorcycle dealer. BTW, the horns are much more expensive at the BMW auto dealer.

Total cost for the horn upgrade was $134.58 ($118.30 for the two horns, $6.95 shipping, $9.33 for the male adaptor).

Total time spent was 1 hour 45 minutes to remove the left lateral trim, remove the stock horn, mount the two new horns, splice into the original horn wire, and replace the lateral trim...about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Yes, the cost is more than some horn improvements, but the mounting was super easy and Digtlartst's experience and write-up convinced me to go this route.

The first time you tap the horn, you will jump! Heck, just one of the horns is pretty darn loud.

A set of high /low Fiamm highway blasters are available at a lot of local auto parts stores or Amazon, and cost less than $40. If you carefully remove the connector from the existing horn and make a pigtail for the dual horns to plug into the factory harness, the total job costs less than $45. They are loud and I have used them on all my bikes for many years. No relay necessary. One horn goes in the original location, and the other goes where ever you can find space.

Blind Squirrel
I just followed the post by Digtlartst. Bought the two horns from 2wheelpros.com and installed on the bike. Simple install. Nice write-up. Thanks.

One added comment and tip. I did visit the BMW auto dealer to buy a male adaptor for the second horn (cost for the two wires and adaptor was $9.33). I figured the auto dealer would have the adaptor as the two horns also fit several BMW auto models. I went there only because the auto dealer is much closer to where I live than the motorcycle dealer. BTW, the horns are much more expensive at the BMW auto dealer.

Total cost for the horn upgrade was $134.58 ($118.30 for the two horns, $6.95 shipping, $9.33 for the male adaptor).

Total time spent was 1 hour 45 minutes to remove the left lateral trim, remove the stock horn, mount the two new horns, splice into the original horn wire, and replace the lateral trim...about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Yes, the cost is more than some horn improvements, but the mounting was super easy and Digtlartst's experience and write-up convinced me to go this route.

The first time you tap the horn, you will jump! Heck, just one of the horns is pretty darn loud.

For reference, would you post a pic of where you mounted the second horn?

Just remember that the connector pins on the horns themselves aren't much greater in diameter than a human hair. You'd think the stock wiring matches that pretty well.

I probably should have taken a picture when I had the left lateral trim off the bike (search youtube for bmw r1200rt lateral trim removal). It's all buttoned up now and I'm preparing for a trip.

No worries though.

When you remove the left lateral trim, you can't miss the location to mount the 2nd horn. There is a hole in the fairing frame, just behind the front part of the left lateral trim. It looks like it was designed to mount the 2nd horn. The horn comes with a mounting bracket. Just hang the horn from the hole.

Piece of cake.

Archived