IGNORED

ABS brain transplant?

John Dickens

My ABS faults continuously to fault code 3, front wheel sensor. It resets OK but as soon as it's turned on it faults again. I have checked out the sensor air gap and metered up the sensor resistance at the ABS plug and at the sensor connector itself and it all reads out OK. I suspect the ABS brain has given up.

I have obtained another used ABS unit in good condition.

Does anyone know whether I can just swap the electronics from one unit to another or do I have to change the whole ABS unit as one piece?

Joe Frickin' Friday
My ABS faults continuously to fault code 3, front wheel sensor. It resets OK but as soon as it's turned on it faults again. I have checked out the sensor air gap and metered up the sensor resistance at the ABS plug and at the sensor connector itself and it all reads out OK. I suspect the ABS brain has given up.

I have obtained another used ABS unit in good condition.

Does anyone know whether I can just swap the electronics from one unit to another or do I have to change the whole ABS unit as one piece?

I would suggest you simply replace the sensor. I had the exact same problem in '03, but with the rear sensor. Couldn't see a problem with it, resistance was fine, it reset fine, but the fault repeatedly came back as soon as I turned the key on. I replaced the sensor and all was well. Still don't knwo what the problem was, but a new sensor definitely fixed it; things have been fine for the last 50K miles.

Had the same problem with my 98RT. The front sensor was the problem. Dealer replaced it under warranty by using a part off of a new bike in the showroom. BMW of Grand Rapids made a permanent customer that day thumbsup.gif

OK. I'll give that a try first. I assumed that the sensor was fine because it read out OK on the tests. Guess it's another of lifes great mysteries.

Archived