IGNORED

I had to have my friend put down today

ltljohn

Our Remy dog became very sick yesterday and passed away in the wee hours of the morning. He was a very special dog, right up to the end and will be sorely missed. Godspeed Remy! Kudos to Quakertown Veterinary Clinic for the top notch care and compassion for all of us, especially Remy.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1/35744_1147710710073_971555_n.jpg?lvh=1

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1891149_260034217492120_1670987018_n.jpg

It's never easy to say goodbye to a friend. Godspeed, Remy. I hope you get to play in the fields of happiness forever. Much sympathy and hugs to you and your family.

Condolences to your family, there's nothing quite like the love shared with a dog. They always manage to bestow more on us than we can ever repay.

Godspeed indeed.

Sorry for your loss. I had a standard and "Karl" was a very special dog in my life. A real people dog. LOts of good memories with him. How old was he??

Sorry for your loss. I had a standard and "Karl" was a very special dog in my life. A real people dog. LOts of good memories with him. How old was he??

He was almost 13

So sorry . . . our pups become so much a part of our families. It's really hard to see them go. I hope your heart will be filled with many happy memories.

Dave McReynolds

Sad news indeed. I've always had dogs, but since retiring I've had a border collie who has been with me almost 24/7 for the last year and a half since she was an 8 week old pup. I never before realized how strong the bond could be between a man and a dog. Hopefully we've got a lot of good years in front of us, she may even outlive me, but when the time comes, I'm sure it will be a sad day for one or the other of us.

Remy looks like a special dog. 13 is a good dog life, but it's never enough for us. Many of us have been where you are right now and we're here for you now. My condolences on your great loss.

I love this photo of Remy. Who is the little man?

1891149_260034217492120_1670987018_n.jpg

Differences in life spans is one of the downsides of living with a pet. They can be good friends, and their loss is just as traumatic as losing a human friend. Sorry to hear that Remy has left your extended family.

Damn. That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that John. He had a great personality

We lost our Zoey the week before thanksgiving and still miss her every day

John-- I am sorry for your loss. Time is the only thing that heals. In about 3 months you will stop crying when you see a picture of your baby.

We lost our Chanel(standard poodle) 3 years ago. She looked a lot like your Remy. They could have been brother and sister! She died while we were sleeping. One of the toughest things I have done in my adult life was to bury her in our side yard..

Give yourself and family time to heal and then start looking for another. There are some fine Poodle Rescue organizations in the USA.

That unconditional love is the greatest..Be strong.

So sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you're talking about. We had two black standards in succession. The first acquired a rather rare condition and eventually had to be put down at age seven. We had the second one fifteen years. It was totally wrenching when they had to go. After them, we swore there would be no more dogs but on a hike in the mountains ten years ago, about six years after we lost our second poodle, a young female Mountain Feist followed us home and we've had her ever since. What a good girl she is. Time heals.

I am sorry for your loss. We had to say goodbye to Miles on December 26th. It was very hard. Miles is on the right side of my avatar. Lex, on the left, passed a year ago.

Remy looks like a special dog. 13 is a good dog life, but it's never enough for us. Many of us have been where you are right now and we're here for you now. My condolences on your great loss.

I love this photo of Remy. Who is the little man?

1891149_260034217492120_1670987018_n.jpg

Kathy,

The little guy is my son, that picture is about 4 years old. That was Remy's favorite place to be, head in a lap getting his ears scratched.

Thank you everyone for all of the kind words. I think the worst thing today was coming home and not being greeted at the door. Remy had a great personality and loved to be with his people. We will be fine, the little guy understands what happened and is dealing with things quite well.

Went through similar circumstances in mid November with my first dog - got him when he was seven weeks old and I was in college, almost sixteen years ago. Someone said a few posts up that in three months you'll stop crying when you see a picture of your pup - I guess I don't do that anymore, but I am tearing up a bit now.

As others have said, 13 years in your case and 15 in mine is a good, long life for a full-sized dog, and we're lucky to have shared that with them. I try to keep that in mind when I find myself looking for him when I get up in the morning, and start thinking - jeez, it seems like he was a puppy just a couple of years ago...

Never a easy thing. I hate to even think about my two dogs ever having to be put down for any reason but I would not ever take back one day with them. People who do not have pets do not understand this bond. Please know I am praying for your family and I know Remy is in a better place.

I am Really sorry for your loss. I had to have my Border Collie put to sleep 2 weeks ago after 17 years of being the most faithful and loyal member of our family .

We all miss him and cannot describe the emptiness you feel without them

Its something only a pet owner can understand .

I had to have my Border Collie put to sleep 2 weeks ago after 17 years of being the most faithful and loyal member of our family .

:cry: I'm hugging Nigel close this morning and thinking of all of you who have recently been through this difficult time. For me losing Guinness at the age of nearly 14, in 2004, was bad enough, but for it to be followed by a long 6 years with no dog was somehow even worse for me.

Sorry to hear that John. I have had to put down three dogs. I keep saying "that is the last one", but it only lasts a short time. A good dog is such a joy and companion to have around. I will always have one.

I hope the sadness fades quickly, replaced with wonderful memories.

Like Steve said, we've been there with the "last one"...

until the next one.

If and when the time is right, you'll know.

Sorry for your loss.

Our last 10 dog years have been with BBD's.

(Big Black Dogs) as they have trouble finding new homes.

We have had 3 dogs at a time for the last 15 years or so. It just seems to work for us. But don't just find 3 dogs at once.........Get another dog every 5 years. That way, you have a couple to console you, when 1 goes. I didn't realize that we were doing just that, until our Vet pointed it out, and explained it to me.

The last dog we had pass away (At the age or 14.....Little River, RIP) we waited a year before we got another. The house just seemed to be properly full, once we brought home the pup.

Bummer. My condolences to you and your family. The loss is real and the grief that comes with it is just as painful. Dogs (I suppose most animals) have their own unique personalities and after they meld with a family they become family!

Several years ago we ended up with an English Springer Spaniel after my youngest got married and could not take the dog with her to the housing she and her husband chose.

She had gotten the Springer as a small pup and she really is a great dog. Well trained, easy going, low maintenance, and good with children. And now that I'm attached I'm dreading the day she gets sick and/or passes on.

TonksandRick.jpg

So sorry to hear the sad news. That's the problem with dogs. They'll break your heart every time. (DAMHIK)

I am reminded of that old quote "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

So sorry to hear the sad news. That's the problem with dogs. They'll break your heart every time. (DAMHIK)

I am reminded of that old quote "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

How true that is. The sadness will fade but we will always have the fond memories.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

I will have to try and remember that next time.

Just had a fun romp outside with our two dogs. 14" of snow and they loved it!

Sorry for your loss. I lost my dog Buddy just a few days before Christmas. It sucked. It still bugs me when I think about it. I thought that we would be without a dog after he was gone, but that only lasted about a day. There was something missing without him. I have a new friend now, but it is a little rough getting used to a puppy again.

• 3 weeks later...
Lone_RT_rider

John, I put my first dog (a female Bassett) down in 2006. It still hurts. My thoughts are with you my friend.

*BMWST.com HugZ*

My friend (a Veterinarian) told me this when we were dealing with putting down our 13 year old chocolate lab - she had terminal cancer.

He said ' euthanasia is the gift you give your pet for the years of love and friendship they have given you.'

It's never easy but it's the right thing to do.

Archived