IGNORED

load capacity

walton66

I read that the load capacity of my 2013 is roughly 520 pounds. Can someone tell me if that is in addition to the paniers and topcase or includes the cases. Thanks.

Bill

I read that the load capacity of my 2013 is roughly 520 pounds. Can someone tell me if that is in addition to the paniers and topcase or includes the cases. Thanks.

Bill

I seriously doubt that it is in addition to the top case since the case is an option.

Hopefully you were reading that (load capacity) in the Rider's Manual. It should give you the carrying capacity with standard equipment etc. Pretty sure the stated wet weight for the RT did not include the side bags, and certainly not the top case.

Find the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Ratio) and then subtract from that the wet weight of the bike.

What you have left will be the load capacity.

Then, get on a scale with your load of stuff and tally the arm loads. Be sure and include yourself only once.

When all done you want to be sure the wet weight of the bike plus you and your stuff does not exceed the GVWR.

I figured the top case wasn't included but cannot find where anything states the weight includes the side cases or not. I'll re-read the manual.

Thanks

"Load" would most likely be construed as the stress on the frame, suspension, and tires.

I would say pack the bags and simply include them in your weigh-in.

Rick (for a while I drove a big-rig and am still trying to forget it) in AL

Basketcase,

that would work once loaded but what I am trying to decide in advance of a trip is can I/we, camp, or do I need make motel reservations everywhere. I know it's kind of trivial, I just want to get an idea without packing everything. Nothing earth shattering. In the past I would just load up my RS because I would go most places solo. I will just assume the bags are part of the load. Should give me an extra margin of error.

Not trivial at all, bro. It is a pertinent question -- particularly when it comes to tire wear, safety, and daily distances.

I do have to admit that while I've loaded the bike to the gills when traveling across country by myself, my wife's idea of camping is Holiday Inn (or some facsimile thereof). So I've never done two-up packing for a long trip where load on the tires became the issue.

That said, when I was still on Gold Wings and pulling a trailer, we did find the extra load and the weight of the trailer wore the tires more quickly. Other than that we never had a problem.

The bike is now a solo thing. When we got out of the Wing we put that money into a BMW Z3. The trunk does not hold much more than the bags on a dresser but she does enjoy the ride a lot more.

Which means that usually ... I enjoy the ride a lot more! :thumbsup:

Those weight statements are suggestions, just like speed limits.

I have seen people overload bikes by double.

I sold a bike once, and I knew the weight limit. A fat guy with his fat wife came to look at it. I mentioned that, due to their gravitational challenges, they were doubling the limit.

They informed me that they had the smaller bike, which they knew had a lower limit, and had been 'two upping' it since they got it.

You might also look at your side case limits. I think my side case limit is 22 kilos each side.

So you must figure the side case weight, and the 22 kilos into your equation.

dc

Suggestions?

Think again.

If nothing else, the GVWR is the figure beyond which you've no legal standing regarding anything.

In addition beyond that you should expect poor handling, likely unacceptable stopping distances, premature component failure, and being a danger to yourself, your passenger and anybody else in the vicinity.

But then, what are figures determined by the bike's designers when we can be rebels and never be any good?

PS: there are also speed limitations associated with loading ... even when loaded under GVWR

• 2 weeks later...

Load limits aren't a hard edge beyond which ensures destruction.

Engineers are typically pretty conservative folks who leave a large margin. For example, Roebling designed the Brooklyn Bridge to carry 6 times its max intended load as a safety factor and it still sits there today doing its thing over 130 years later.

Me- I like as light as I can get. Light always stops and goes a bunch better- some guy named Colin Chapman got famous designing cages based on that.

But I also wouldn't get too excited if for some reason I exceeded the load "limit" on one of my BMWs by 100 lbs (though I'm not sure how I could actually do that short of hauling lead or gold bars in the cases). Just don't cruise at 100 to abuse the tires and allow a some extra stopping distance. Understand you're a bit over and inspect stuff more often.

And if you intend to make a habit of it, get a bigger bike with more capacity.

Load "limits" for BMW bikes are based on high speed use well beyond what is legal in the US so there is an inherent margin- how much or what factors we will never know exactly.

But its there for sure and cautious use, when necessary, will keep you in good shape.

I'd be more worried about unknown design flaws in new BMW models that don't show up for a while and don't get dealt with quickly by BMW. For example, the types of rear end failures that can be catastrophic at any load/speed- such as have happened in every single side arm model including some of the F twins with other than shaft drives. Or the split fuel tanks on 800GS models. Or the now recalled idiot fuel flange design present on most R and K bikes from 2005-2011 (the flange is a wrong plastic choice and the flaw is so obvious it is unbelievable it took nearly a decade from the first bike to recall- it is a grade school kid level goof by BMW).

Bottom line is if you ride a bike it is important to do pre ride inspections and to have enough of a feel for the machine that you can take immediate action on any noticed difference before its bites your butt.

Archived